Oi!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Thanks a lot John for the infos and for the links, they were very informative and answered to all my question giving me a sufficient idea of what Oi was and still is. Grazie!
The italian article of Wu Ming 1 e Wu Ming 5 (those idiots who are responsabe for the Luther Blisseth "Q" and then changed name to Wu Ming 1-5 and realased other crappy books, I have the right to say how much they stinks since unfortunately I have read their books) was probably a rip off of ideas from the Stewart Home "Cranked Up Really High" (they cited it, anyway) that i have to search for and read (I had read "red london" and "come before christ and murder love" by Home and had liked them). The Garry Bushell retelling of the story was even better, even if obviously you can't pretend "objectivity" by a prime mover of a movement.

Anyway I'm going to buy those two records, they look like essentials Oi primer for me:

cd72.jpg

CD230.jpg

john eden

male pale and stale
Glad you liked, it Francesco :)

But don't be dissing Wu-ming - Roberto is a friend of mine (and Stewart's!) :p

john eden

male pale and stale
Melchior said:
So in what world were the goddamn Toy Dolls an Oi! band?

In Bushell's world (the rest of us just live in it!).

There's some guff about it in the link further up - he also dubbed them (get this!) "pathetique" along with splodge etc. C'mon, you have to belieeeeeeeeve in the healing power of Oi!

Put your hands on the monitor...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
john eden said:
Glad you liked, it Francesco :)

But don't be dissing Wu-ming - Roberto is a friend of mine (and Stewart's!) :p

All my leftist friends love Blisset/Wu Ming and want to hit me because i don't.... All my rightist friend like Tolkien and want to hit me because I don't.... :( oh my!!

They should translate Home major works in italian. Not that is a problem for me, i read english literature in english, but Home ouvre deserve to be available in Italy (i had read in the Wu Ming links you sent me that "Cranked up" was traslated in italian, but , as often happen, very very badly).

Have "Q" and the recent Wu Ming books been traslated in english?

ciao da francesco

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
francesco said:
All my leftist friends love Blisset/Wu Ming and want to hit me because i don't.... All my rightist friend like Tolkien and want to hit me because I don't.... :( oh my!!

Well, I'm a leftist and I hate the luther blisset thing, like Tolkein and think Home should disappear up his own arsehole (oh wait, perhaps he already has...)

john eden said:
C'mon, you have to belieeeeeeeeve in the healing power of Oi!

Put your hands on the monitor...

I did, but my hang over didn't go away... :(

john eden

male pale and stale
francesco said:

They should translate Home major works in italian. Not that is a problem for me, i read english literature in english, but Home ouvre deserve to be available in Italy (i had read in the Wu Ming links you sent me that "Cranked up" was traslated in italian, but , as often happen, very very badly).

Have "Q" and the recent Wu Ming books been traslated in english?

ciao da francesco

Well I don't want to hit you... :)

Yeah 'Q' has been out for a while in english and '54' is coming out in May...

Also, there is a bonus entry in my blog about the coverstar of the 'Strength Thru Oi!' LP featuring in a Psychic TV video:

http://uncarved.chaos.org.au/index.php?m=200412#570

john eden

male pale and stale
Melchior said:
Well, I'm a leftist and I hate the luther blisset thing, like Tolkein and think Home should disappear up his own arsehole (oh wait, perhaps he already has...)

Pff! Probably a new thread sometime. I'll take you all on. :p

Melchior said:
I did, but my hang over didn't go away... :(

Through suffering, comes wisdom, grasshopper...

martin

----
'Strength Thru Oi!' is good if you want to hear some drunk bloke saying "I like beans, I like sauce, I like sexual intercourse". Mind you, you get CockSparrer's own brand of glam cock rock terrace Oi! so it's not all bad

martin

----
john eden said:
Martin, I think our plans for world domination are one step further.... :D

Yes, once people stop doing frivolous posts about Badiou and join in here, I can see Dissensus developing into an electronic Oi! reference library, boasting the key texts about the movement for future generations to
enjoy.

Woebot

martin said:
Woebot, what's your take on this?

i've hardly heard any oi at all! actually scrub that. i've never heard an oi record ever. thats more honest.

i can sound quite knowledgable about it (thumbs bluffers guide to sham 69) but largely dismissed it as representative of everything that i dislike about punk writ large. less art. less theoretical revolt. less traces of uk ethnic mash-up.

(sounding incredibly pompous)

i do like the grime parrallel, but thats been filtered with some much (albeit brutalist) influence from black music that i still find it enticing. things like bruza's "can feel the rush" (sampling is it slayer?) though stretch the plausibility of a racial reading of grime though dont they? and someone like dogzilla (blushes) he's very like a character from the oi opera isnt he?

is grime getting blacker and blacker? with Ardkore, Jungle, 2step there was always a bunch of white folks, a bunch of asian folk, which kept things heterogenous, and nicely messy. maybe now what we're seeing is the mixrace thing gathering steam, which has got to be good. in a few hundred years time there wont be black and white anyway will there? we'll all be light brown.

martin

----
WOEBOT said:
i largely dismissed it as representative of everything that i dislike about punk writ large. less art. less theoretical revolt. less traces of uk ethnic mash-up.

i do like the grime parrallel, but thats been filtered with some much (albeit brutalist) influence from black music that i still find it enticing. things like bruza's "can feel the rush" (sampling is it slayer?) though stretch the plausibility of a racial reading of grime though dont they? and someone like dogzilla (blushes) he's very like a character from the oi opera isnt he?.

I'll have to confess my ignorance of grime at this point - I haven't got a clue who Dogzilla is! I did however buy 'Aim High 2' (on boom noise's recommendation - or was it Diggedy Derek's?) and quite enjoyed it, especially the Lady Cutie freestyle - the aggressive brash 'fuck you all' stance reminded me of The Last Resort for some reason.

bassnation

the abyss
martin said:
'Strength Thru Oi!' is good if you want to hear some drunk bloke saying "I like beans, I like sauce, I like sexual intercourse".

if a grime mc had uttered that line you'd be praising it to high heaven! ;)

martin

----
If Infinite Livez had uttered that line, it'd probably have involved a can of all-day breakfast (with a foetus at the bottom)

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
WOEBOT said:
i can sound quite knowledgable about it (thumbs bluffers guide to sham 69) but largely dismissed it as representative of everything that i dislike about punk writ large. less art. less theoretical revolt. less traces of uk ethnic mash-up.

i do like the grime parrallel, but thats been filtered with some much (albeit brutalist) influence from black music that i still find it enticing. things like bruza's "can feel the rush" (sampling is it slayer?) though stretch the plausibility of a racial reading of grime though dont they? and someone like dogzilla (blushes) he's very like a character from the oi opera isnt he?

At least you can admit to sounding pompus...

Interestingly enough, Oi has always attracted me for the exact reasons you mentioned. I like the Ramones and I'm totally unmoved by Television. I can't stand crass, but like conflict. I am unmoved by the application of situationist theory to punk rock (cf. my dislike of stewart Home).

But the fact that the music is so totally white was tampered for me by getting into punk and hardcore in Singapore where I lived as a teenager. So all my friends who were into that music were malay (predominantly), indian or chinese, with a couple of other expat brats thrown in for good measure.

What it comes down to is liking aggressive music I guess. I like really stupid thugish US HC bands (madball etc), I like dark techy DnB. I grime. I like hip hop. For me Oi (and I really don't listen to much) fits into that continuum.

Now, Martin, how do you rate The Business?

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
i've hardly heard any oi at all! actually scrub that. i've never heard an oi record ever. thats more honest.

i do like the grime parrallel, but thats been filtered with some much (albeit brutalist) influence from black music that i still find it enticing. things like bruza's "can feel the rush" (sampling is it slayer?)

sample is the deftones, a white american ska punk band, interestingly enough....