Oi!

Woebot

Melchior said:
ska punk? Not for a long time if ever...

mmm. delftones. arent they that "clever" metal band who say they like the smiths? eugh! the smiths are cool, but as a reference for metal, surely not.....

martin

----
Melchior said:
Now, Martin, how do you rate The Business?

I think they're boring. Way too earnest. 'Disco Girls' proves they had serious issues when it came to women (see Wilhelm Reich)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
mmm. delftones. arent they that "clever" metal band who say they like the smiths? eugh! the smiths are cool, but as a reference for metal, surely not.....

well i remember em being about the one time i heard em but here is their site so decide for yourselves personally i dn't care, i just know that's the sample

http://www.deftones.com/site/index.html

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
martin said:
I think they're boring. Way too earnest. 'Disco Girls' proves they had serious issues when it came to women (see Wilhelm Reich)

They're the Oi band hardcore kids like. But I've never listened to them myself, and what i'vwe heard has never really impressed me much.

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
not a criticism of the sample mms. its a good sample innit.

snot bad, richard littlejohn and the east side boyz sampled slayer on their new lp, track produced by rick rubin who did the org label . reign in blood.
wickage

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
WOEBOT said:
edens probably too shy to say, but he's done loads of posts on oi recently at:

http://uncarved.chaos.org.au/

also i thought of a coinage to describe martin/melchior/john/francesco:

"oifficanados"

I'm not sure I'm really an oifficanados. After all I own exactly one cd by the oppressed (and I think that's still in nz), and an oi polloi 7" (but from when they were a full on anarcho-punk band, not really oi at all). And that's my oi collection. That blog has however been writing about straight edge hardcore, a musical form I gave fully 10 years of my life to almost exclusively, so that was interesting. It even had stuff I didn't know about Vegan Reich...

john eden

male pale and stale
I like oifficionados, is good! :D

Yeah - it's punk rather than, Oi, but I wouldn't rule anything out this year... (much to Paul Meme's horror!)

Someone had to take the post-Woebot mantle of having too many scans of album covers per page!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
"oifficanados"

A friend let me listen yesterday to a italian Oi compilation of the middle '90. There was a song, i don't remember the name of the group, not that matter, that had this immortal lyrics now i will translate in english (yes, was sung in italian):

(boring mid tempo oi/punk drums with monotone guitar and one note bass)

very drunk singing:
"Reds Blondes or Blacks I like them all
if the beer is a religion i am the pope
FREE beer for the working class!
free beer for the working class!"
" I work for to drink beer
I drink beer for to work
FREE beer for the working class!
free beer for the working class!"

very poetic :D

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
martin said:
There was even some Oi! crossover with ELECTRO. The compilation, "Son of Oi!" featured a song by Oi! The Robot. But even weirder, on the NF comp "No Surrender", there's an electro track called "Eugenics" (I don't have this tape anymore, it was a shit album anyway). Now given that the LP was compiled by Joe Pearce (who used to edit the NF youth mag 'Bulldog') and his brother was Stevo of Some Bizarre...is there any chance that a) this was one of the Some Bizarre artists pissing around for a joke b) he swiped a song off a demo tape sent to his bruv by some aspiring DIY synth group? Maybe it was Psychic TV (see Nicky Crane post on Uncarved for more details)

Stevo and Joe hated each other, Stevo would often take gay people home for tea just to wind Joe up. The track wasn't PTV tho, I can't remember who it is....dang - give me a few days

I once got the twatting of my life from Skrewdriver, never get trapped in the same room as them is my advice.

I was always surprised they never sussed Nicky, he made enough videos...

john eden

male pale and stale
Conversely I have been present when a coach containing some members of the Skrewdriver entourage had its windows put out. :eek: Not by me, I hasten to add - not nearly hard enough for all that bizness.

Joe Pearce ended up being a catholic priest/academic or something... me and Martin have discussed this somewhere online before but I can't find it.

On the Oi front I have been listening to some Hard Skin stuff - a nostalgic pastiche Oi band for the 21st Century with excellent song titles like "Still Fighting Thatcher". I think some of them used to be in Wat Tyler, who were also brilliant - good music and humour without laying it on too thick.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
I can't believe that this thread has reached four pages without The Cockney Rejects being mentioned! Garry Bushell kick started the whole Oi movement on the back of them. Guitarist Micky Geggus is the herbert giving a V sign on the cover of the first Oi LP [1980] and no other band on it even came close to measuring up.

If you like PRIMITIVE ANGRY STREET PUNK,ignore every band mentioned on this thread and give their first LP ''Greatest Hits Vol 1'' a listen.

Rejects Top 5

''Flares And Slippers''

''I'm Not A Fool''

''Shitter''

''Bad Man''

''Where The Hell Is Babylon''

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
a good friend who I grew up with is a skinhead oi fan, although not a racist, he was visiting me in berlin recently for the world cup and asked to hear what I'd been working on lately. I played him some of my grime stuff as well as a few things from other artists and he really liked it and compared it to Oi saying he'd been waiting for some new form of 'angry urban music' to turn up and that this sounded like it. This guy is also emphatically not a music theoretician like the readers of this board so I was surprised to hear him come up with that but I think there is a good amount of truth there.

Tempa T shouting Swiiiiing, Bang him! Would not be out of place on an oi tune at all really.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
john eden said:
Joe Pearce ended up being a catholic priest/academic or something... me and Martin have discussed this somewhere online before but I can't find it.

Didn't he end up joining/starting The Third Way with Nick Griffin and the reason you can't find it was because it was over email John.

bruno

est malade
can anyone tell me who sings 'are you punks or mice'? or 'punks not mice'. there's punks and mice in it, that's all i remember.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Martin Dust said:
Didn't he end up joining/starting The Third Way with Nick Griffin and the reason you can't find it was because it was over email John.

Yes he did (they were big on catholicism - Patrick Harrington was the main guy I think, not sure about Griffin) and no - I meant the other Martin on this thread ;) but yes, I remember us talking about it as well!

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
john eden said:
Yes he did (they were big on catholicism - Patrick Harrington was the main guy I think, not sure about Griffin) and no - I meant the other Martin on this thread ;) but yes, I remember us talking about it as well!

Griffin was in there, he was also writing The Rune at the time. Can't believe people are buying his latest load of guff but that's another thread...

blissblogger

oi vay

well i'm amazed this thread has gone so far without a mention of More Fire Crew

talking of which, i like Oi! as a phantom and pleasingly unexpected trace in other genres -- gabba, crunk, 'ardcore (mcs used to go "oi, oi!"), grime ( bruza as arthur mullard) -- but the real thing -- come off it chaps!

isn't the volkist element (garry bushell's sleevenotes) alone somewhat offputting

that said, i remember enjoying angelic upstarts "teenage warning" as a kid, they were sort of proto-Oi!

cockney rejects, were kinda fun i spose

but c.f. early 80s US hardcore, which i vastly preferred to Oi! -- the hardcore bands could generally play shit-hot, so the stuff really rocked -- your average american band of that ilk and era could wipe the floor with any Real Punk counterpart, who typically had that britpunk commitment to the rudimentary