crackerjack

Lots of web chatter about zilionaire buyers lining up to replace the useless cunts who currently 'own' the club. Been here before, yes, but ooh, they mean it this time.

don_quixote

Trent End
Yeah, tons. I'm glad he's gone. The team clearly weren't playing for him and are about to lose their two best players. It's damage limitation til those Yank cunts are gone and Roy Hodgson is the man to make mountains from molehills.

you realise a lot of your fellow fans don't agree with you and think he should have stayed?

crackerjack

you realise a lot of your fellow fans don't agree with you and think he should have stayed?

Yeah, I think they're nuts. Blind loyalty, borne out of (justified) hatred of the owners.

It's one thing not having money to strengthen the squad, quite another failing to make a fist of what you've got. He's a good manager and he'll do OK with Inter, I'm sure, but his time at Liverpool was done.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
He's generally over-performed given the wage bill at the club (there is a strong correlation between the amount a club spends on wages and how successful it is in the league), so I don't really see how that is 'failing to make a fist of what you've got'.

crackerjack

He's generally over-performed given the wage bill at the club (there is a strong correlation between the amount a club spends on wages and how successful it is in the league), so I don't really see how that is 'failing to make a fist of what you've got'.

Well he's just finished 7th with the 3rd-highest wage bill in the Prem, so go figure.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
The season Liverpool had the third highest wage bill, Benitez nearly won the league. This season it is apparently Arsenal that have the third highest wage bill. I am fairly sure that this season just finished, Liverpool actually had the fifth highest wage bill. At any rate, according to The Fink Tank Benitez only underperformed by one point, which, when you consider the injury problems Liverpool have had this season and the off the field turmoil, means that it wasn't exactly a disastrous season even if it could have been a lot better. Also bear in mind that it is because of Benitez's work over the last few seasons that this season was considered a disaster. Also, this isn't even going into the legacy he has left in terms of improving the academy and the club's scouting network.

don_quixote

Trent End
oh yeah? who are the players who have come through the academy then? (genuine question, not trying to catch you out)

we got paul anderson from liverpool

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Well that's sort of the point, the academy has been shocking and it was only last year that Benitez got to do something about it after the removal of Parry. He's brought in Rudolfo Borrel who is the former head of Barca's youth set up and who over saw the development of player's like Messi, Pique, etc., etc. The youth scouting network has also been overhauled. Hopefully none of this gets messed up by the change in manager, but now Rafa won't get to reap the rewards or get the credit. Also, the club has moved faster to snap up promising youth players like Raheem Sterling from QPR, something which previously wasn't done with players like Aaron Ramsey.

Last edited:

crackerjack

The season Liverpool had the third highest wage bill, Benitez nearly won the league. This season it is apparently Arsenal that have the third highest wage bill. I am fairly sure that this season just finished, Liverpool actually had the fifth highest wage bill. At any rate, according to The Fink Tank Benitez only underperformed by one point, which, when you consider the injury problems Liverpool have had this season and the off the field turmoil, means that it wasn't exactly a disastrous season even if it could have been a lot better. Also bear in mind that it is because of Benitez's work over the last few seasons that this season was considered a disaster. Also, this isn't even going into the legacy he has left in terms of improving the academy and the club's scouting network.

You're right about those figs, so I guess we'll find out the current ones in a year's time. Meantime, the only real difference between the squads that fought 08-09 and 09-10 is the loss of Alonso - sold for Rafa reasons more than financial ones and the arrival of an inadequate replacement. Then there's Johnson for Arbeloa, a bit outlay for all the positive difference he makes. The other clubs may have boosted their wage bill by more than Liverpool, but it's not as if (City excepted) they've been on a talent-buying spree.

Speaking of inadequate replacements, while I appreciate players of Alonso's quality aren't cheap, what's the evidence of this scouting network? Rafa's made a few really good signings in his time (any advance on Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Reina?), lots of OK ones, but very few outrageous bargains in the league of Evra (£5.5m) or Vidic (£7m).

hucks

Your Message Here
Next season's fixtures are out now. Seems a bit soon, not to mention ever so slightly insubstantial compared to the World Cup. Anyhow, don_q - Norwich at the City Ground on the 28th Aug. I quite fancy an away day. Will you be going to that?

don_quixote

Trent End
i'm planning on getting a season ticket for the first time since 96/97, so yes, i will be. also it'll be before term starts so a free weekend as well!

i'm starting where i finished off last season. already organised a trip to bradford for the league cup. planning to up my away ground count by at least just into double figures this upcoming season.

crackerjack

KOPTALK can exclusively reveal that Roy Hodgson has been appointed as the new manager of Liverpool Football Club.

The Fulham manager was always the bookies favourite to land the job despite the Reds having considered several alternatives including former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini.

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish wanted the job but was turned down flat by the current Anfield board. One of Hodgson's first jobs will be to try and persuade his friend to remain at the club.

Dalglish has so far rejected the opportunity to be appointed as Director of Football but maybe he will reconsider when things settle down.

Hodgson has agreed terms with Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow but no official announcement will be made until Fulham and Liverpool finalise a compensation payment.

Later today Hodgson is due to talk to senior members of the Liverpool coaching staff to help him come to a decision as to who should be his assistant.

Hodgson is not on Merseyside at this time and is unlikely to be until everything is official. That doesn't need to be rushed though with Liverpool's players currently down in South Africa or away on their holidays.

Although Liverpool have finally found their new manager, there's still no sign of any new owners. As previously reported by KOPTALK, Liverpool have recently lost Sheikh Khalifa of Abu Dhabi and at least one Indian bidder as a result of the ridiculous valuation of the club.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
drum roll please

Manchester City have officially bid £45m for Raoul Moat.

they've no idea who he is but they've heard everyone's after him.

nomos

Administrator
2dwfcw1.jpg