don_quixote

Trent End
they could pocket the tv money yes, and they get lucrative parachute payments, however so did derby and they're not exactly looking better off. mind our manager did piss a load of money up the wall for them when they went up.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
it seems like the championship is now full of teams scrabbling so much to get to the top of the cliff that we're all pulling each other back trying to reach it. the envy and jealousy and desperately wanting the riches and our piece of the pie is holding us all back, and in turn, making the hedgemony of the premiership stronger.

Do you mean that Championship clubs are all thinking short term and hurting themselves in the long run?

don_quixote

Trent End
Do you mean that Championship clubs are all thinking short term and hurting themselves in the long run?

partly. i think my main point there is that there's so many people trying to break into the prem that the talent gets thinly spread and no-one is willing to believe in any teams capicity because the market for "trying to get into the premiership" is so saturated

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Are Liverpool fans welcoming them with open arms? Like they did with the last lot?

Well, you need money to win the league and it would be difficult to be worse than Hicks and Gillett so I suppose it's possible to be a little bit optimistic.

As for the Chinese government link, the bbc says:

'But a source close to CIC [China Investment Corporation] told BBC Sport a link with Huang's QSL Sports Ltd would be "highly unlikely".'

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
partly. i think my main point there is that there's so many people trying to break into the prem that the talent gets thinly spread and no-one is willing to believe in any teams capicity because the market for "trying to get into the premiership" is so saturated

Surely this sort of thing happens in any league? Division One teams going for the Championship, Premiership teams going for the top four, Champions League teams trying to win the whole thing etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2010/aug/06/championship-race-wide-open

BareBones

wheezy
oh man that hernandez goal yesterday was a classic.

this new england squad is fucking depressing. i know it's only a friendly, but bent and zamora? jesus. I mean yeah they're preferable to heskey and defoe but not really the sort of people you want to be relying on to take you forward after that world cup. where are the good young strikers coming through? what's the deal with this connor wickham lad, is he as good as everyone says?

is jack rodwell injured or something? Can't believe he didn't make the squad, he is total quality and was probably the best young english player in the prem last year. and he shits all over gareth barry, can't believe he got back in the team.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
So that's Carvalho off, as well as Joey Cole, Deco, Belletti and Ballack. Only Benayoun in (so far). Looks like Carletto thinks the youngsters will be good enough to provide cover

don_quixote

Trent End
right guys, prediction time. no opt outs. let's see them.

top 4: man utd, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool.
yada yada. yawn. don't buy into man city, still. liverpool get back in through big four 'aura' remaining.

champions will be chelsea. carvalho going is making me nervy in that prediction, but i don't buy these 'drogba is getting old' forecasts. where have they come from exactly? he was the best striker in the world before the wc and he's still the best striker in the world.

champions league; continued withdrawal of english forces, one semi finalist. don't know which. spurs will go out in the qualifying rounds (but if they don't it will be really weird watching a team other than the usuals playing in the champions league). barca make the big return in europe but mourinho knocks them off their perch domestically.

bottom 3 of prem: blackpool, obviously, and by some distance. west brom. birmingham. newcastle and wigan survive last day.

unexpectedly high: blackburn

unexpectedly low: villa (although that doesn't even feel worthwhile right now)

definitely won't go down: stoke, sunderland

won't be in a job next summer: roberto mancini, roberto di matteo, roberto martinez. a bad year for robertos.

nomos

Administrator
i hope you're right dq. arsenal's keeper/centre back situations have me a little concerned. still a couple of weeks left in the window though.

jenks

thread death
I'm going to be optimistic about Spurs - they'll qualify for the group stages but probably then go on to reach quarters of the Europa.

top 4 - man utd, man city, chelsea, spurs
bottom 3 - blackpool, bolton, wolves

unexpected high - Stoke
unexpected low - Villa

first manager to go - Hughes @Fulham

CL to go to Barca

all these choices made with the consent of resident 'expert' - junior jenks, aged 11.

i might alter my predictions come 3pm and the spurs/city result is in.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Champions - Chelsea
Top four - Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal
Better than expected - West Brom
Worse than expected - Man U
First manager to go - Hughton
CL - Chelsea
FA Cup - Everton
SPL - Rangers

Maybe a bit of wishful thinking here...

crackerjack

I'm feeling a little more chipper after last night's results, so some new season predictions.

Champs: Chelsea
Runners-up: <del>Liverpool</del>

Relegated: Hull, Pompey, Burnley (with the nation's gratitude)

As the reigning champion of Dissensus Premiership predictions I'm just laying down a marker from last year.

crackerjack

Really not sure why so many think Utd will have a bad year. I fear Hernandez will prove this year's best buy. Not so sure about Bebe :confused:

Chelsea will still be too good for them, decrepitude notwithstanding.

City will come 3rd, Arse 4th. Liverpool will count their blessings in 5th (assuming no PRC takeover).

Wigan, today's leaders* and WBA will sink.

Brighton will invade Rochdale and slaughter the whole town (Gillian Duffy incl) in revenge for today's injustice.

edit*today's 2nd place

Last edited: