crackerjack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/17/manchester-united-wayne-rooney-bid

*triple facepalm* What is Moyes on? You've been offered one of the best three-four players in the PL (Mata, obv), PLUS TEN MILLION QUID, for a striker past his best who wants to leave the club anyway (partly because you've told the world he's second choice). And you said no.

José offered Mata? I know he's loaded with creative genius midfielders and lacking a really top striker, but that's insane - or just deliberate mischief-making.

crackerjack

Ah, maybe it was just a rumour. Or maybe Chelsea are lying.

And why are they offloading Demba Ba?

I see Chelsea now denying offering either player.

Chelsea have reacted furiously to suggestions they were willing to include either Juan Mata or David Luíz as a make-weight in a prospective deal for Wayne Rooney after their initial straight cash offer for the England striker, thought to be worth around £20m, was rejected.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
2013Liverpool_Wutang_070813.jpg

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
It's prediction time

Premiership - Chelsea
CL - Man City, Man U, Spurs
Relegated - Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle
Will do better than expected - Aston Villa
CL winners - Real

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Best excuse for fighting masquerading as a sporting contest: Cardiff v Swansea
Moodiest 'enslaved' multi-millionaire: Straight contest between Bale and Rooney
Most predictable marginal failure: Spurs, Real Madrid

CL will be Bayern, come on...

Phaedo

1. Chelsea
2. City
3. Man U
4. Spurs

Crystal Palace and Hull look pretty certain to go down.

Southampton could be the surprise package, they looked great under Pochettino last season. Swansea and Norwich seem to have bought well too.

CL is between Dortmund + Real for me. Bayern obviously the best side but winning it 2 years in a row would be phenomenal.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Someone has to do it after over 20 years since Milan went back-to-back. I reckon this will be the year, especially as Bayern seem to have vital psychological advantages over all their main rivals (taken as Dortmund, Real, Barcelona)

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I think that counts as a moral victory for Scotland, like if David fought Goliath and got his ass kicked but not nearly as badly as he was expecting

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
No big surprises from the first round of Prem games then. I've not seen the highlights of Chelsea last night but by all accounts we were lucky to get the win

crackerjack

PL
1 City (head says Chelsea, but I had to adopt one team during all those years in Mcr and it wasn't gonna be those other cunts)
2 Chelsea
3 Those other cunts
4 Spurs
5 Liverpool (tho this may depend on a new defender almost as much as bad boy Luis)
6 The Arse
7 Villa

down, down, down
Norwich (sorry Hucks)
Hull
Palace obviously :D
fun to see what happens - Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke

CL
Bayern - only getting stronger

up, up, up
Not Brighton :(

World Cup
Haven't the faintest. Are Brazil any good? Presumably this is the year Spain's run ends if Barca's age of magic is done.
England - not convinced we'll qualify. Last 16 if we do.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
WC - possibly Germany to become the first European team to win in South America. I mean, international football is notoriously unpredictable, but this seems as good a bet as any.

Spurs have got to screw it up again, surely. Else the world is just wrong.

hucks

Your Message Here
PL

down, down, down
Norwich (sorry Hucks)
Hull
Palace obviously :D
fun to see what happens - Newcastle, Sunderland, Stoke

wtf? In a league where Ian Holloway, Mark Hughes and Paolo di Canio manage teams, you think we will go down?

In all seriousness, we've bought some really good players this summer. We're loads better than we were, which was easy good enough to stay up, late nerves notwithstanding. Palace, Cardiff and Stoke for me.

crackerjack

wtf? In a league where Ian Holloway, Mark Hughes and Paolo di Canio manage teams, you think we will go down?

In all seriousness, we've bought some really good players this summer. We're loads better than we were, which was easy good enough to stay up, late nerves notwithstanding. Palace, Cardiff and Stoke for me.

Ha ha, sorry, who've you bought? I haven't been paying attention. Not Bridcutt - not yet anyway - that's all I care about.

I don't think Hughes is a bad manager. Don't blame him for QPR - Harry didn't do much/any better.

hucks

Your Message Here
Ha ha, sorry, who've you bought? I haven't been paying attention. Not Bridcutt - not yet anyway - that's all I care about.

We bought Dutch international dreamboat striker Ricky van Wolfswinkle (WHAT a name) from Sporting Lisbon, and midfielder Leroy Fer from Twente, who I'm pretty excited about. Also Martin Olsson from Blackburn and Nathan Redmond from Birmingham, who looks a good prospect. And Gary Hooper, a striker from Celtic. AND CARLO NASH.

This new TV deal is ridiculous - there's so much money. It really closes the gap between the top and the rest, as it makes Champions League money proportionately less important (still the same in absolute terms, of course). So you've got us spending £25m, Saints spending that on 2 players, Cardiff spending a shitload of money on decent players (and proper nutters, like Gary Medel)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah really? I haven't been following the new season much at all - partly because it seems like it's come around way too early, with transfer speculation never letting up during the summer.

It is mind-boggling that Mata could fall down the pecking order (as that report would have it), if he's not being lined up for a transfer.

crackerjack

Hull were pretty impressive for most of that match. If they can raise their scoring rate above 0.33 goals per game I withdraw my relegation prediction.