IdleRich

IdleRich
"It also seems a bit weird to publicly undermine the contract system of the sport you're meant to be governing."
And to have failed to realise that since the Bosman ruling players have more power than they used to. You would think that someone in his position would pay some attention to the sport he's supposed to be connected with but those remarks make him look as though he's missed the last ten years. Do you reckon he understands the offside rule?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a good job that football has some sensible figures involved:

Ashley denied he has plans to sell Newcastle United, which he bought for £133m. 'That is not true. I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That's a very expensive seat I sit in.' Rumours suggest he has held talks with Far East investors about bringing money into the club.

'I think I'll start with people from Newcastle not in some cave in Afghanistan,' he said.

crackerjack

And to have failed to realise that since the Bosman ruling players have more power than they used to. You would think that someone in his position would pay some attention to the sport he's supposed to be connected with but those remarks make him look as though he's missed the last ten years. Do you reckon he understands the offside rule?

LOL, he seems to have slipped into that role of absurb commentator, like some old retired manager who gets wheeled on to the panels for a few laughs. The diference is - and this part is crucial - he's meant to be running the sodding game.

crackerjack

Rumours suggest he has held talks with Far East investors about bringing money into the club.

'I think I'll start with people from Newcastle not in some cave in Afghanistan,' he said.

And the George Bush Award for cretinous pronouncement of the year goes to the man who appointed Kevin Keegan. What is it about Newcastle that attracts these chairmen?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"LOL, he seems to have slipped into that role of absurb commentator, like some old retired manager who gets wheeled on to the panels for a few laughs. The diference is - and this part is crucial - he's meant to be running the sodding game."
It's weird isn't it - there are certain worlds that once you're in you're in and no matter how imcompetent you are you're safe.

"And the George Bush Award for cretinous pronouncement of the year goes to the man who appointed Kevin Keegan. What is it about Newcastle that attracts these chairmen?"
Who knows - and what makes him think that any Afghans would want to do business with some savage in a cave in Newcastle?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, what is it with sport and all these dodgy nutters? Well, it's the money obviously but it must be related to the fact that I'm hearing more and more about how people are disillusioned with sport with these days - I mean, obviously people have been complaining about the premiership for ages but I've got friends who have always loved athletics or cycling or something who say that they can no longer be bothered to follow it because the whole edifice is corrupt from top to bottom. I have to say that I would far rather play football than watch it and for me a bunch of losers slogging it out in the park on a wet wednesday is a lot closer to the heart of the game than a load of millionaire pretty boys rolling around on the floor trying to con the ref for a penalty.

crackerjack

I've got friends who have always loved athletics or cycling or something who say that they can no longer be bothered to follow it because the whole edifice is corrupt from top to bottom.

I used to love top-level athletics, but can barely watch it these days because it's less a question of who wins than who's on drugs and whos' gonna get caught.

Was chatting with a mate last night about boxing - there's a sport that's always been bent, but it's only recently that it seems to be so discredited. Is it don king's influence or what? I mean, where are all the great fighters? It can't just be that Sky buys them up so most of us don't see them, there's just no buzz about the sport at all (except for the handful of reallly good British boxers). Who's world heavyweight champion right now? I haven't got a clue.

Edit: old man rant over, I shalll rtire to watch my Sugar Ray-Duran videos.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I used to love top-level athletics, but can barely watch it these days because it's less a question of who wins than who's on drugs and who's gonna get caught."
'zackly.

"Was chatting with a mate last night about boxing - there's a sport that's always been bent, but it's only recently that it seems to be so discredited"
Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and said, ‘Kid, this ain’t your night, we’re going for the price on Wilson.’ You remember that? ‘This ain’t your night.’ My night--I could have taken Wilson apart. So what happens he gets the title shot out doors in a ballpark. And what do I get? A one way ticket to palookaville.

"Is it don king's influence or what? I mean, where are all the great fighters? It can't just be that Sky buys them up so most of us don't see them, there's just no buzz about the sport at all (except for the handful of reallly good British boxers). Who's world heavyweight champion right now? I haven't got a clue"
I dunno - can't stand boxing, it's ridiculous when you have all the different federations and weights - there are seventy-three different federations and eighty-eight weights from flea-weight all the way up to super-really-heavy-weight, that means that (when all the belts are held by different people) there are more than three million world boxing champions, it's hard to get excited about a sport like that. They shouldn't bother with the different weights and winning on points and stuff like that, they should just have one world championship once a year which is a knock out competition and all the people who want to be boxers go in it and fight to the death (or surrender) until one guy is left and that guy is the champion of boxing. Simple.

crackerjack

this'll do as the last word on Blatter

Blatter's words - about GBP120,000-a-week Cristiano Ronaldo, of all
people - were quickly dismissed by, among others, Uefa communications
director William Gaillard, who pointed out that "it would be useful
to remind people that slaves in all of the slavery systems never
earned a wage".

Manchester United were also quick to wade in, saying: "All our players
- like at other clubs - enter into their contracts after an open and
free negotiation; most of whom do so after taking advice from a
Fifa-registered agent. Many do so on a number of occasions and enjoy
long and successful stays at Old Trafford."

As others have noted, Blatter's statement that "I'm always in favour
of protecting the player, and if the player wants to leave, let him
leave", directly contradicts the comments he made earlier this year,
(
http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBIdjETAY30QpAe9jDFAoq7X06U/fvr21
) when he insisted that players' failure to honour contracts would
destroy football. It also ignores the real slavery in football - not
the likes of Ronaldo being able to come and go when they please, but
vulnerable aspiring professionals, often in their early teens, being
trafficked across the world (
http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBIdjETAY30QpAe9jDFAoq7X06U/fvr22 )
with little salary and no safety net.

So not only is he wrong and insensitive, he's also making it up as he goes along.

nomos

Administrator
5nmddj.jpg

"Let my people go"

tom pr

whether £6.5m is cheap for lampard is fairly debatable though, i've never seen him do anything good, ever.
maybe you should watch footie with yr eyes open then.

p.s. breaking news, fergie says ronaldo is staying. what do you think rich? most united fans seem to be quite ambivalent to the whole thing, which is a shame because he's treating the biggest club in england- and the club that has frequently overcome the loss of key players- like a groupie. five years ago fergie would've got rid, i reckon.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. Still, sometimes Fergie's don't give a damn attitude was kinda misplaced. Case in point: Jaap Stam.

Personally, I think Ronaldo can get bent. Take the money and buy a new squad!