IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I still think you had better look to your laurels cos didn't US just get beaten by Germany at basketball?

Let's get back to this bit. So Germany beat the US at basketball, but what does that mean? I know that the team they put out was not the strongest possible - well in actual fact I don't know that cos I don't know who was in it and if I did I wouldn't be able to evaluate how good they were, but I think that's how they do it. Though why do they do that, especially cos people do seem to get annoyed and think it reflects badly on US basketball when they lose?

is it that the club's don't want to risk (or in fact let the national side risk) damaging their expensive assets in a glorified friendly? But if so how come the national team gets its hands on any pros? Now I think about this it sort of feels that the US is trying to walk the tightrope of picking the cheapest ie weakest team that can still win the tournament, but they didn't win so I guess they got it wrong and underestimated the other side's strength. You must get lots of close games this way, US is probably the drawingest side... except you can't have draws can you? Perhaps they are the decidedontiebreakersingest* team out there.

It's a little frustrating that it's done like this though cos we can't really judge how strong the real US team is.

in your opinion @ghost of beiser or @linebaugh etc, if the US really put its best team out how much better would it be than the second best national team? Or perhaps the more interesting question is how would US v Rest of World work out? Or US v Europe?

I get the impression that there a number of European players amongst the very best in the NBA, perhaps even five or six of them - I should check this actually, I could be talking total bollocks, but say I'm right, would that mean that a unified European team could give em a game... or is that too simple a way to look at it? Perhaps it just doesn't work like that.

*Weirdly dissensus doesn't recognise this word

IdleRich

IdleRich
Harry Maguire is not having a good time of things just now. The other day when India's space programme was in the news I was amused when someone pointed out that it cost India less to put a rocket on the moon than it cost Man Utd to put Slabhead in the centre of their defence. Today he scored an own goal playing for England against Scotland, I haven't seen it yet but from what I've read it wasn't really his fault - however when you fall from favour with the gods you fall hard and if this was simply a matter of wrong time wrong place it's no surprise that they selected him to be there. At least it didn't affect the result... but then again it's a friendly and the result doesn't really matter, for a certain subsection of the football watching public the main thing that they will remember is that that idiot Maguire fucked up again.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've not seen as much of Bellingham as I would like, but from what I have seen and what I've heard about his performances at RM he's gotta be the most exciting English player for... I dunno... ever?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, there have been quite a few. As you would hope/expect from a country that ought to be a major football nation.
I just really hope Bellingham develops fully. Much as I hate Madrid I think he's in the right place... or as long as he keeps playing well they will support him, he'll be surrounded by good players, play in big games and so on. If you fuck up there you will turn on you, but ultimately nothing succeeds like success and so far so good.

How's Kane getting on at Bayern? It's a similar story there I think although obviously he's at a different stage in his career. I've not been following it though.

It's bringing home to me how few top English players have played abroad lately and I suppose I understand better why the news here reports so much on Ronaldo and Mourinho.

Real Madrid are one club that has taken a lot of players from prem and done very well with them; McManaman, Beckham, Ronaldo, Modric, Bale come straight to mind.

version

How's Kane getting on at Bayern? It's a similar story there I think although obviously he's at a different stage in his career. I've not been following it though.

They're still getting used to playing with him and don't pass to him enough, but he's on three goals and an assist in three league games, so he's doing pretty well.

version

Highlights. I don't have any sports channels and cba with illegal streams, so I just watch whatever I find on TV or YouTube. Basically every league has an official YouTube channel and there are people who clip out all the goals and that on Reddit.

To be honest, I struggle to sit through a whole game atm. I'm so used to consuming the stuff in this way now that a full 90 minutes feels like a bit of a slog.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I watch a fair few things on highlights, I normally wait a bit until it's on unofficial channels. I never think to watch Bayern though for some reason.

mvuent

Void Dweller
It ticks us off when we get fooled.

It REALLY ticks us off when someone touches our hearts, gets us to pull for them and THEN fools us.

It REALLY, REALLY ticks us off when someone touches our hearts, gets us to pull for them, fools us and THEN we find out they did it for their own selfish intentions.

That’s what ticks us off at the balloon boy’s family. Thousands of people across the country were pulling and praying for this young fellow and his family, thinking he was frightened to his toes and in danger of losing his life.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It ticks us off when we get fooled.

It REALLY ticks us off when someone touches our hearts, gets us to pull for them and THEN fools us.

It REALLY, REALLY ticks us off when someone touches our hearts, gets us to pull for them, fools us and THEN we find out they did it for their own selfish intentions.

That’s what ticks us off at the balloon boy’s family. Thousands of people across the country were pulling and praying for this young fellow and his family, thinking he was frightened to his toes and in danger of losing his life.

I'm lost.