IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, it will have to be applied consistently but I can't think of any way to prevent diving that will be more effective than a (hopefully strict) punishment decided by those who are able to watch a replay of the incident at their leisure. Wouldn't work for the cup final of course but for all other games I think it's the way forward.

crackerjack

also won't happen if, for example cristiano ronaldo, dived in a semi final and would miss the final

one can but dream.....

retrospective bans on fakers and flakers needs to become the norm, not the exception. i can see why wenger is pissed off (apparently he blames scottish uefa bigwigs) since it's been going on so long. maybe this is one of those weird (anti-)prizes always given out in comic strips for the millionth customer. if UEFA don't follow through, arse will be entitled to know why.

hucks

Your Message Here
hur hur, arse, follow through, hur hur

There was a suggestion on Football 365 that after a penalty is awarded, the ref, if he's in any doubt, goes to the person fouled (call him Ronaldo, for this purpose) and asks if he dived. If Ronaldo says yes, there's no booking, it's all chalked up to the heat of the moment, and it's a goal kick. If Ronaldo says he didn't dive, the penalty is awarded, but Ronaldo knows that the incident will be reviewed after the game, and he might get a three match ban.

I thought this was a fucking great idea. It would let refs off the hook, as they wouldn't actually have to decide it was a dive, which seems to be a big decision at the moment, they just need to decide there's a doubt, and, jeez, there's always a doubt, right? So they'd always ask. And Ronaldo would know what he did. And eventually, he'd stop doing it, as either he has to keep 'fessing up, or he spends half the season suspended.

don_quixote

Trent End
that's great hucks, but it certainly didn't happen on tuesday. he'd awarded the penalty before eduardo had even appealed!!

and what would be a suitable punishment for steven gerrard for this: (32 secs)?

i feel bad picking on ronaldo. steven gerrard is the worst fucking diver out there. no doubt about it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That dive in the Champions' League Final was appalling - never noticed it before cos I wanted Liverpool to win on the night. But God. Blatant. Watching it again - God. F**k Gerrard. It's so obvious but he somehow got away with it in my and others' eyes.

Beginning to hate Liverpool too, cos Rafa is such a cunt...

As is Wenger, to be fair, but I still respect him for never bowing to pressure over how to play the game...if he defends cheating from time to time, I kinda have to ignore it because he really does value beautiful play....

Last edited:

tom lea

That dive in the Champions' League Final was appalling - never noticed it before cos I wanted Liverpool to win on the night. But God. Blatant. Watching it again - God. F**k Gerrard. It's so obvious but he somehow got away with it in my and others' eyes.
gerrard's a dick, but liverpool have/have had so many pricks in that team he looks like a saint: mascherano is an absolute tosser (his two ridiculous dives in the olympics to get brazil players sent off were something else), torres is scum, and i think i was even happier to see alonso leave the league than ronaldo. them lot and fabregas are my premiership public enemies number one. i like carragher tho.

gerrard putting in some sort of monumental performance in that cl final is a myth too: he had a shocker of a first half, left massive gaps in the midfield that were exploited; what changed the game was the decision to shove him to right back where he could bomb around like a headless chicken (and dive like a shot swan). smicer and hamann going into the centre was the big thing - and i think they both stepped up in the shoot out too.

crackerjack

gerrard's a dick, but liverpool have/have had so many pricks in that team he looks like a saint: mascherano is an absolute tosser (his two ridiculous dives in the olympics to get brazil players sent off were something else), torres is scum, and i think i was even happier to see alonso leave the league than ronaldo. them lot and fabregas are my premiership public enemies number one. i like carragher tho.

gerrard putting in some sort of monumental performance in that cl final is a myth too: he had a shocker of a first half, left massive gaps in the midfield that were exploited; what changed the game was the decision to shove him to right back where he could bomb around like a headless chicken (and dive like a shot swan). smicer and hamann going into the centre was the big thing - and i think they both stepped up in the shoot out too.

We've heard this one before. Extraordinary how the whole world seems to have been blinded by the Gerrard Istanbul myth except Tom...Or maybe, the world is right and the lone angry man in double-glazed blinkers...

I can understand the bile for Alonso though. Was it the time Gudjohnsen dived to get him suspended from the CL semi 2nd leg, or the time Lampard broke his ankle, gave it the innocent and only got a booking, that makes you loathe him so much?

It's ridiculous to dwell on one particular team (even one that has/had Makalele, Carvalho, Cole (J), Cole (A), and Didier OMFG Drogba) for the simple reason that ALL teams do it. Which is why this Eduardo case is such a welcome development.

tom lea

We've heard this one before. Extraordinary how the whole world seems to have been blinded by the Gerrard Istanbul myth except Tom...Or maybe, the world is right and the lone angry man in double-glazed blinkers..
prob heard it before, yeah, it's not just me that says it. cos it's true.

people describe it as a force of nature thing, one-man champions league thing, it's not, he dived for a peno and scored a good header, it's half a good performance. english media re-writing history so it shines on one of their golden boys, happens all the time.

It's ridiculous to dwell on one particular team (even one that has/had Makalele, Carvalho, Cole (J), Cole (A), and Didier OMFG Drogba) for the simple reason that ALL teams do it.
well yeah, obviously, but that's football. i think yr team's full of cunts, you think likewise, it wouldn't be the same if that wasn't the case.

tom lea

that's a bit funny but it's pretty harsh on wenger. he's been thru the ringer enough lately, he doesn't need to be humiliated like that at the end.

don_quixote

Trent End
tom lea - it was the one man show against west ham in the fa cup though right?

on proper football matters.

3-2!!!!! and it's top match on the football league show tonight. whoop whoop.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
can't believe wenger got sent off, wtf was up with that?!
arsenal dominated the game really...it's a harsh one...
also, is it just me or was that a pretty dubious penalty? i mean, he didn't have the ball under control, he was going away from the goal and he was pretty much falling over anyway?

tom lea

i think the pen could go either way, rooney's going down before almunia touches him and the ball's going out but almunia has gone a long way and totally committed himself. he's asking for trouble.

mixed_biscuits

Almunia was presenting an obstacle to Rooney rather than bringing him down. Should Rooney be retrospectively punished for deciding to encounter this obstacle rather than taking the more straight-forward step of avoiding it?

I'm a United fan, but this kind of opportunism annoys me.

crackerjack

Almunia was presenting an obstacle to Rooney rather than bringing him down. Should Rooney be retrospectively punished for deciding to encounter this obstacle rather than taking the more straight-forward step of avoiding it?

I'm a United fan, but this kind of opportunism annoys me.

well yeah, i hear ya, tho i think it's somethin that will be outside the bounds of any retrospective punishments. rooney chose to go down over the obstacle, but, in his defence, jumping over it would've meant breakng his stride, slowing down, possibly losing balance etc. most penalties are given for incidents like that (including, coincidentally the Gerrard CL final one, where there was contact by Gattuso - enough to distract, but not enough to knock over).

mixed_biscuits

well yeah, i hear ya, tho i think it's somethin that will be outside the bounds of any retrospective punishments. rooney chose to go down over the obstacle, but, in his defence, jumping over it would've meant breakng his stride, slowing down, possibly losing balance etc. most penalties are given for incidents like that (including, coincidentally the Gerrard CL final one, where there was contact by Gattuso - enough to distract, but not enough to knock over).

Having seen it again on MOTD, I think I was a little harsh on Rooney, you're right about him having to adjust, at least.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
rooney was already having to adjust in order to make contact with the ball. as much as he had to adjust to avoid the advancing keeper. my question is: why did he fall over? was the intent to play the ball and go on to score? or was it to nudge it past and flop on the floor?

worth mentioning. eboue was booked for diving about 5m outside the man u penalty area. i didn't see it that clearly (shitty web feed) but i could've sworn he was choosing to take evasive action over the man u player's high knee obstacle?

crackerjack

worth mentioning. eboue was booked for diving about 5m outside the man u penalty area. i didn't see it that clearly (shitty web feed) but i could've sworn he was choosing to take evasive action over the man u player's high knee obstacle?

closer examination will show he actually did a salmon leap in the general vicinity of evra in a pisspoor bid to get him his 2nd yellow card. no wonder wenger hauled him off straight away.