IdleRich

IdleRich
"benefits? in terms of results, very few I reckon. A player with motivational issues isn't gonna buck his ideas up by dropping down a level - he needs a top team, genuine contenders."
I'm inclined to agree - life isn't like a feelgood movie where the washed up star turns round the no-hoper team to win the cup.

"ONE HUNDRED MILLION EUROS! 300 GRAND A WEEK!"
I don't get how it works. If United have, as they claim, a contract that he can't get out of then surely it doesn't make any difference how much Real offer? Or are United lying when they say that - can someone explain to me how football transfers actually work?
That said, if he don't wanna play for them and United can get £80m for him they should get rid of him and enjoy the four world class players that cash could bring in. Looks as though Real Madrid are abandoning the "from now on we play with men not with names" stance - much good may it do them.

crackerjack

I don't get how it works. If United have, as they claim, a contract that he can't get out of then surely it doesn't make any difference how much Real offer? Or are United lying when they say that - can someone explain to me how football transfers actually work?

Technically he can't get out of it. In truth united's options are now:
1/ dig their heels in and carry out their threat to drop him if necessary, see who blinks first and by doing so alienate your prize (human) asset
2/ massively up Ronaldo's money, risking the knock on rises all round
3/ cash in to the tune of £70m

See ya ron

IdleRich

IdleRich
"1/ dig their heels in and carry out their threat to drop him if necessary, see who blinks first and by doing so alienate your prize (human) asset
2/ massively up Ronaldo's money, risking the knock on rises all round
3/ cash in to the tune of £70m"
What about "dig their heels in and not carry out the threat to drop him?" - not that I necessarily think that that is their best option but what's to stop them doing it? In other words keep him as their player and treat him as a player - business as usual basically.

vimothy

yurp
In other words keep him as their player and treat him as a player - business as usual basically.

It won't be though. If he doesn't want to be here, he won't play well, or at all (if what Fergie gets his way), and we lose out to the tune of £70 mill.

Fuck it -- sell him and buy more players.

crackerjack

What about "dig their heels in and not carry out the threat to drop him?" - not that I necessarily think that that is their best option but what's to stop them doing it? In other words keep him as their player and treat him as a player - business as usual basically.

Tecnhically possible, of course. But £70m assets can turn into £20m in the space of one shit season and players who want to leave have a habit of letting their form dip (or at least the assumption is they would, if anyone ever made them stay against ther will).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It won't be though. If he doesn't want to be here, he won't play well, or at all (if what Fergie gets his way), and we lose out to the tune of £70 mill."
I thought that Crackerjack said that for a minute and it was yet another United related Freudian slip.

"at least the assumption is they would, if anyone ever made them stay against ther will".
I'd like to see that assumption tested. What player is going to deliberately let his form slip for a year - especially if he is playing in glamour games such as the defence of the Champions League? If someone did do that would he be able to recover that form later? You can go from megastar to Manchester City in a surprisingly short period of time.

crackerjack

I'd like to see that assumption tested. What player is going to deliberately let his form slip for a year - especially if he is playing in glamour games such as the defence of the Champions League? If someone did do that would he be able to recover that form later? You can go from megastar to Manchester City in a surprisingly short period of time.

So would I. Do the Glazers strike you as people with a side-interest in behavioural science?

m33k +i93r

TheUnridiculousBearMix
missed the rigmaroll of this thread,

anyone at liberty to summarise for the sake od a poor wanton misfit wandering aimlessly amongst ye wise souls??????????

just joking. i'll just watch some footy instead when euro2008 kicks off!! hooray!!!!

hucks

Your Message Here
missed the rigmaroll of this thread,

anyone at liberty to summarise for the sake od a poor wanton misfit wandering aimlessly amongst ye wise souls??????????

just joking. i'll just watch some footy instead when euro2008 kicks off!! hooray!!!!

Well, it was initially about football and finance, then became the all purpose football thread for 07/08. There's bits and pieces elsewhere about how England failed to get to the Euros. And a proper Euros thread, too.

Speaking of which, I'm off to bluesquare.com to lose some money...

crackerjack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7449627.stm

it will be interesting to see what happens. RA likes his marquee signings, so it makes sense, but 8 years is a helluva long time to be out of club football.

Scolari is obviously a good manager, but i agree with what ever columnist it was who was saying they should appoint Hughes. Pick a talent, watch him grow with the job and see if you can build something really special. This is the short term solution. Scolari may win the CL, in which case he could be there 4 years before falling out with the boss. If he doesn't he'll be gone in 2.

don_quixote

Trent End
o'neill's a proper manager. although he's cosy with his boss. although if your boss is as awesome as lerner it's to be expected.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So Deco gone to Chelsea - does that mean Lumps will be heading to Inter? Deco is absolute class of course but I'm not sure that he will necessarily be a good signing for them. I wonder how interested will he be at this stage of his career but I guess that's always the question with this sort of signing.

jenks

thread death
That midfield is going to get very crowded!

Ballack, Lamps, Deco, Essien, Makelele plus assorted others. Perhaps they are preparing for a season with no strikers - Drogba off and Malouda/Anelka sulking and underperforming?

I think from an English perspective it would be good to see a few of our players in other divisions - particularly in the way in which other leagues are set up. Traditionally the Italian Serie A was the preserve of tight defences. Surely having Ferdinand and his ilk playing in that kind of league is going to hone their skill?

I could see Lampard's style fitting in over there, but is he the kind of guy who could cope with the different culture? I am minded of Ian Rush's famous quip that playing in Spain was like 'being in a foreign country'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"That midfield is going to get very crowded!"
Since Mourinho arrived it's as though they've been collecting midfielders. It always made me laugh when Mourinho would moan about the lack of cover he had in both defence and attack. He always seemed suprised that he hadn't got some strikers by osmosis or something. Still, win the game in midfield as they say.

"Drogba sulking and off and Malouda/Anelka sulking and underperforming?"
Is about right. Has Shevchenko fucked off yet or doesn't anyone care about him any more? Or is he sulking?

"I think from an English perspective it would be good to see a few of our players in other divisions"
Definitely.

"I could see Lampard's style fitting in over there, but is he the kind of guy who could cope with the different culture? I am minded of Ian Rush's famous quip that playing in Spain was like 'being in a foreign country'."
I'd give him a better chance than Gazza.

crackerjack

I could see Lampard's style fitting in over there, but is he the kind of guy who could cope with the different culture? I am minded of Ian Rush's famous quip that playing in Spain was like 'being in a foreign country'.

Public school boy isn't he - what's all that money get you if not a bit of cultural adaptability?

Has Shevchenko fucked off yet or doesn't anyone care about him any more? Or is he sulking?

God knows what he's got to sulk about - Scolari's only just got there. Give him time to leave Shev out before he starts with the pout.

tom pr

Since Mourinho arrived it's as though they've been collecting midfielders. It always made me laugh when Mourinho would moan about the lack of cover he had in both defence and attack. He always seemed suprised that he hadn't got some strikers by osmosis or something. Still, win the game in midfield as they say.
that's a bit of a myth- we've consistantly played 433 since mourinho arrived, and i don't think we've ever had more than six central midfielders at a time- no more than the two per position that most managers subscribe to.

not sure how i feel about deco. i'm not a fan of his (but then again, i hate pretty much the entire portugese national team that dont play for us) and ideally i'd like us to be only signing players younger than 28. on the other hand, what's been missing for us the last two years is consistancy in midfield (the second year under mourinho where we walked the title was makelele-essien-lampard in the centre pretty much the entire year), and this should help to bring it back. frank's off, so mikel-essien-ballack becomes the obvious first choice, and deco is adept enough to fit in for either essien or ballack when needed.