e/y

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

hucks

Your Message Here
what effect do you think this will have on EBJT's case?

I think he's fucked anyway, but he's double fucked now. Terry's case is far more obvious than Suarez's. Not his second language, no cultural issues.

Have to say I'm surprised the ban was so harsh. The length of deliberation made me think they were trying to come up with a way out of passing judgement, plus all the leaks to friendly journalists were about how complex the case was.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's harsh in comparison to some other bans, it's true (though wasn't an eight-game suspension handed out to some Reading player a few years back in a much lower-profile case?), but judged on its own merits, I think it's incredibly lenient. I don't think Suarez brought the game into any less 'disrepute' than Cantona did, for example. Have to say also I admire Evra's restraint for not knocking the noxious fucker out at the time.

Liverpool Football Club are officially an embarrassment: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/20/liverpool-luis-suarez-patrice-evra. "Luis himself is of a mixed-race family background as his grandfather was black" - the most idiotically irrelevant comment ever, especially in a South American context?

Obvioulsy I hope JT has the proverbial book thrown at him. I'm still not convinced it's a foregone conclusion, as Suarez is an 'easier target', but here's hoping.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Last edited:

e/y

Dalglish wearing that shirt during the post-match interview was especially ridiculous.

also:

hucks

Your Message Here
So good at football = not racist. Thanks, Ledley, Emmanuel! You abject self-hating twats.

Self hating? Jesus. That's a horrible thing to call someone off the back of a couple of comments in a post match interview. They've been asked questions and they've answered them. Neither have said Terry is or is not a racist.

Anyway, I thought this, about the last guy to be suspended from football for racial abuse, was far more interesting.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Youre right that it was a bit of a strong thing to say, but i think it's horrendous that they're upholding terry's personality. Why, as people who will themselves have experienced racism at every level of the game, are they commenting favourably about a man who made a, let's face it, risible attempt to 'excuse' what he himself admitted he said? I think in doing so, they are both showing utter disrespect to anton ferdinand, and to their own experiences of racism, by trivialising the incident with this kind of rubbish. Of what relevance to anything are their comments?

Self hating? Jesus. That's a horrible thing to call someone off the back of a couple of comments in a post match interview. They've been asked questions and they've answered them. Neither have said Terry is or is not a racist.

Anyway, I thought this, about the last guy to be suspended from football for racial abuse, was far more interesting.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also as an aside, the terminology of someone being/not 'being' a racist in both the cases seems highly unhelpful. Neither suarez nor terry are likely to be members of the kkk. Question is whether what they said displayed racial prejudice. In terry's case he's admitted he said what everyone thought he said, and unless one believes what is surely the most cringeworthy 'excuse' in history, he is guilty. Which also feeds in to my initial comment - this is a pretty open and shut case, unless...well, cant think of any unlesses. Adebayor and King are intelligent human beings -they could have refused to answer the question rather thanrisk giving the terry camp circumstantial evidence about how much he is 'admired' by black fellow professionals.

Edit: "There are a lot of problems for Chelsea, around players like John Terry, but I think we are human beings and we all have problems with our family, problems at home, things like that" - reducing an incident of racism to compare it to generic life problems is just flabbergasting.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Mr Evra asked Mr Suárez why he had kicked him, referring to the foul five minutes previously. Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro", meaning "Because you are black". Mr Evra then said to Mr Suárez "Say it to me again, I'm going to punch you". Mr Suárez replied "No hablo con los negros", meaning "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra continued by saying he was going to punch Mr Suárez. Mr Suárez replied "Dale, negro, negro, negro", which meant "Okay, blackie, blackie, blackie". As Mr Suarez said this, he reached out to touch Mr Evra's arm, gesturing at his skin. When the referee blew his whistle and called the players over to him in the goalmouth, Mr Evra said to the referee "Ref, ref, he just called me a fucking black."

8 games? Incredible let-off. If he had said this to a co-worker in another 'industry', Suarez would rightly have been sacked.

Edit: Big up Steve Kean btw - it takes guts to stick it out like he has, and that result was deserved. United were bad though - surely City for the title? And wish I'd stuck around in south Wales to see Swansea-Spurs - two of the best passing sides in the Prem...

Last edited:

computer_rock

Mr Evra asked Mr Suárez why he had kicked him, referring to the foul five minutes previously. Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro", meaning "Because you are black". Mr Evra then said to Mr Suárez "Say it to me again, I'm going to punch you". Mr Suárez replied "No hablo con los negros", meaning "I don't speak to blacks". Mr Evra continued by saying he was going to punch Mr Suárez. Mr Suárez replied "Dale, negro, negro, negro", which meant "Okay, blackie, blackie, blackie". As Mr Suarez said this, he reached out to touch Mr Evra's arm, gesturing at his skin. When the referee blew his whistle and called the players over to him in the goalmouth, Mr Evra said to the referee "Ref, ref, he just called me a fucking black."

8 games? Incredible let-off. If he had said this to a co-worker in another 'industry', Suarez would rightly have been sacked.

Edit: Big up Steve Kean btw - it takes guts to stick it out like he has, and that result was deserved. United were bad though - surely City for the title? And wish I'd stuck around in south Wales to see Swansea-Spurs - two of the best passing sides in the Prem...

what a horrible shit. he's got the potential to become the premiership's next ridiculous pantomime villain since ronaldo left. just wish gus would stop supporting him though, really isn't doing himself or the seagulls any favours, fellow countrymen or not.

edit- just watched the sunderland man city game... incredible

Last edited: