Led Zep to reform!

Benny Bunter

Yeah, it's one of their not-quite-cover versions, in this case of a song from the late '20s or '30s by Memphis Minnie, who is said to have been the first female electric guitarrist! :) I've got it on a CD ("The Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin", probably not the same one Mojo gave away though) although it's actually sung by a man. Bears little resemblance to their version aside from the lyrics, as is often the case.

This CD also has the orginal 'Lemon Song'. :D

Memphis Minnie's version was sung by her husband Kansas Joe McCoy. The same song was also recently adapted by Bob Dylan on his 'Modern times' album.

Definitely one of Zeppelin's best songs, pisses all over Stairway to heaven anyway!

Levee's got quite an interesting history, check out this wiki page

dHarry

Yeah, it's one of their not-quite-cover versions, in this case of a song from the late '20s or '30s by Memphis Minnie, who is said to have been the first female electric guitarrist! :) I've got it on a CD ("The Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin", probably not the same one Mojo gave away though) although it's actually sung by a man. Bears little resemblance to their version aside from the lyrics, as is often the case.

This CD also has the orginal 'Lemon Song'. :D

here's Minnie's version (it'd be interesting to try and re-fix it over Zep's Levee Breaks' break :cool:)

Benny Bunter

Thought it was a bit rich that Zep sued the Beastie boys for sampling 'When the levee breaks'.
I wonder if Memphis Minnie would have sued the Zep if she'd been around?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thought it was a bit rich that Zep sued the Beastie boys for sampling 'When the levee breaks'.
I wonder if Memphis Minnie would have sued the Zep if she'd been around?

Yeah, that was a bit crap. Incidentally, they got sued by Willie Dixon over the lyrics to Whole Lotta Love but settle out of court.

You're dead right about Levee vs. Stairway, of course. :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Isn't that a lyric from a Robert Johnson tune?

Yeah, I was listening to it just the other day, in fact.

I like the way all that old blues stuff treats lyrics and riffs in the same way hip-hop treats samples; it's as if they don't belong to any particular artist but are objects of common ownership in a wider musical tradition.
Until someone uses them on a record that sells five million copies, of course!

vimothy

yurp
I like the way all that old blues stuff treats lyrics and riffs in the same way hip-hop treats samples; it's as if they don't belong to any particular artist but are objects of common ownership in a wider musical tradition.

See the works of Robert Zimmerman for further evidence.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'd go (or make serious attempts to get a ticket, at least) if I had 125 squid I didn't need, no question.

gumdrops

i dont think i want to see robert plant singing about being anyones backdoor man after seeing recent pics of him (sorry for ageism).