Led Zep to reform!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
you mean the song remains the same, hilariously bloated isnt it, esp all the archetype business and the year long songs, it's almost unwatchable.

No, there was another dvd that mashed together lots of other live stuff - out of time, out of tune, very poor.

For the record, Led Zep are my fave rock band ever.

And I actually like the LP of the Song Remains the Same!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Best live Led Zep I've heard is the Peel Sessions double CD that came out about 8 years ago. Great performances, great recordings, well produced/mastered/whatever.

Can't help but notice there's talk of a "double Best Of album" being released to coincide with this gig - that'll be their third one. Did Pagey cock up on his tax return this year or something? :slanted:

Woebot

i got through the website after a few tries. i'm definitely going to try and go.

but do they only let you have one ticket? (wouldne be able to afford more really but...) that sounds like a recipe for a huge crowd of single uncut dudes.

mms

sometimes
No, there was another dvd that mashed together lots of other live stuff - out of time, out of tune, very poor.

For the record, Led Zep are my fave rock band ever.

yes they are archetypes themselves, as it goes, mysterious rock gods, with lots of myths attached and not alot of actual fact. I like the fact that they never really talked much or never did singles, so each album is a journey mystical or otherwise, those guys had it locked.

Octopus?

On a related note...believe it or not, the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album "Raising Sand" is (7 tracks in at least) really, shockingly good. Plant sings in a range he's actually comfortable with, and the close harmony singing combined with a thick, dusty feel courtesy of T-Bone Burnett and company is a wonderful mix.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
not bad but for me its:

1. custard pie
2. misty mountain hop
3. what is and what should ever be

special mention for rain song cos it was the "first dance" at my wedding...

I could listen to Zepp all day...

STN

sou'wester
Immigrant Song
Babe, I'm Going to Leave You
Black Country Woman

Really not fussed about their reformation tho.

STN

sou'wester
No, I'm forever defending them to my snideful chums. There was an article in the Metro (ooh!) yesterday slagging them off too.

zhao

there are no accidents
electric blues with some turkish influences about sums it up. at their best positively Transcendent with capital T (in a way beatles or stones never managed). once every few years i'll hear a song and still be like "damn". Plant's voice does sound fucking WEIRD though if not used to it... like a drunken hysterical woman.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
at their best positively Transcendent with capital T (in a way beatles or stones never managed).

Yeah, second that. Three indispensible tunes would have to be Black Dog, When The Levee Breaks and In My Time Of Dying. Transcendental stuff, indeed.

Benny Bunter

Led Zep are funny for me, I just can't make up my mind whether I like 'em or not. Its always been Plant's voice thats been the sticking point, but he comes across really well in interviews though, he really knows his shit when it comes to folk/blues/world music.

That free cd that came with mojo a while back, 'The roots of Led Zeppelin' was superb; Davey Graham, Blind Willie Johnson and Santo and Johnny's amazing version of 'Summertime' - all super-shivery goosebumpy stuff. Must say I had a lot more respect for them after hearing that, still I dunno...

And wasn't the best thing about Zep Bonzo's drumming? I pity the guy who's gonna have to step into his shoes, good luck mate...

zhao

there are no accidents
oh man "when the levee breaks" !!!! forgot about that one! monster, monster song. but i forget if its a re-version of a much older song? like Gallows Pole?

i heard a 1930s version of Gallows Pole and it was insane... was like 20 minutes long, with endlessly repeating stanzas between instrumental sections... the desperation of the nerve wracking wait... for someone to bring some money to pay off the executioner...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
oh man "when the levee breaks" !!!! forgot about that one! monster, monster song. but i forget if its a re-version of a much older song? like Gallows Pole?

Yeah, it's one of their not-quite-cover versions, in this case of a song from the late '20s or '30s by Memphis Minnie, who is said to have been the first female electric guitarrist! :) I've got it on a CD ("The Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin", probably not the same one Mojo gave away though) although it's actually sung by a man. Bears little resemblance to their version aside from the lyrics, as is often the case.

This CD also has the orginal 'Lemon Song'. :D

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I've always found that when I squeeze a lemon, the juice tends to run onto my plate, or, in moments of weakness, into a G&T, rather than down my leg, which, it seems to me, is a funny place to put your lemon juice.

Am I doing something wrong?