Divas 'n Bass

mixed_biscuits

similar vibe, same year: DJ Trax "Serenity" (Paradox Rmx)

Similar vibe? I'm on to this one!

The sample on siren song is wicked - I think it's used in Mulholland Drive (prob where he got the idea from).

tate

Brown Sugar
Similar vibe? I'm on to this one!

The sample on siren song is wicked - I think it's used in Mulholland Drive (prob where he got the idea from).
Somewhat similar, at least from the point of view of mixing, though not nearly as eerie or moody as the Fanu. I just noticed however that the original post asked for vocals that were songs, not merely samples, so I'm not sure on second thought that either really apply. :eek:

mixed_biscuits

nomos

Administrator
This isn't helpful, really, but i feel compelled to mention DJ SS' (?) godawful cover of Whitney Houston's 'Bodyguard' song. (That was right around the height of that 'diva' thing in pop culture.) I don't know why anyone would think that was a good idea - "yeah mate, what that melodramatic catterwalling needs is some amens and a nice reese under it."

Does SUAD's "I'm Raving I'm Raving" count? Pete Bouncer as diva.

Urban Shakedown 'Some Justice'

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

This isn't helpful, really, but i feel compelled to mention DJ SS' (?) godawful cover of Whitney Houston's 'Bodyguard' song. (That was right around the height of that 'diva' thing in pop culture.) I don't know why anyone would think that was a good idea - "yeah mate, what that melodramatic catterwalling needs is some amens and a nice reese under it."

That tune was great - total aural overkill!

mixed_biscuits

There's another bombastic vocally tune in that series - John B's Green. It uses an opera singer (female) sample and applies even more reverb than Black does.

DJ SS - Rollidge [Formation - FORM12053] (not part of the colours series) is very good too. It has a reversed 'Love set you free forever' diva sample.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
there was a wicked tune really nervous and anxious that starts out with a female voice singing something in a minor key like ' i feel like i'm going to die sometimes, that i'm going to explode sometimes,' something like that before dropping into a real roller, could be dillinja, really good late 90's d and b, can't remember what it is, don't own it, what is it?

cutups

there was a wicked tune really nervous and anxious that starts out with a female voice singing something in a minor key like ' i feel like i'm going to die sometimes, that i'm going to explode sometimes,' something like that before dropping into a real roller, could be dillinja, really good late 90's d and b, can't remember what it is, don't own it, what is it?

might be the dillinja remix of baby namboos ancoats 2 zambia.

jahquarius

ByTown's Finest
Female vocals, in 'songs' not just as samples, in a jungle/hardcore context? It's such a great configuration of sounds, I really hope it wasn't just a novelty kind of thing.

hard to not point out the first lady of drum and bass, Jenna G. the number of incredible songs that she's done is pretty impressive:

- "Still Dreaming" with Sonic
- "Rising" with Artificial Intelligence
- "Obsession" with Future Cut on metalheadz
- "Lost in Music" with Street Level and TC1
- "Beautiful" with Phuturistix (not dnb but the Bugz in the Attic mix is great)

Can't forget the absolute classic "Midnight" with Un:cut (marcus intallex mix....) and her own full-length artist album is solid from top to bottom.