lol

You bought it? Wow.

The sendspace is a funky CD I should say, probably the one that got him the show. It's sick.

Simon78

lol

You bought it? Wow.

The sendspace is a funky CD I should say, probably the one that got him the show. It's sick.

lol, yeah. I learnt from it though and now I have a listen before the wallet comes out.

Its starts off so well with a hype radio set and then just plummets downhill. I am probably the only person who owns a copy :D

Nice one for the link though, I will check it out. I mix that Skanker tune a lot.

elgato

I just dont know
interesting one given the talk of the UK guys having no chance of being anything to the big guys in house, that Boddhi Satva (a big don currently in deep house) has charted Time To Let Go by Perempay & Dee

i don't think its a big issue but it may be of interest regardless

Tim F

The more likely scenario to my mind is a less appealing one: in reaction to "nursery grime" etc, most of the more established producers deliberately choose a more sophisticated path - I suspect this is more likely to be along the lines of broken beat than house per se, "dubbage" notwithstanding (some of Roska's recent softer material is a good example of how funky could simply become broken beat). The MCs return to grime, and the third component of funky - the muscular tribal breakbeaty rhythms - gets absorbed into more of a white studenty dubstep/breakstep scene.

Tim F

That's a good piece Martin, and it sets out Queen of Sheba's position really well - I feel like I agree with you more now QoS!

Re "funky" vs "UK House" as terminology - it's hard to get worked up re which producers use to describe themselves given both are gonna end up giving people confused ideas as to what the music sounds like.

Likewise "tribal", which really sounds very little like tribal house most of the time - at it's best it's a lot closer to Lenky's Dreamweaver Riddim.

Martin was it you who was making the point previously that when MCs took over garage they had nowhere else to go, whereas now if the secret desire of the MC is to make more hip hop type stuff then they can always continue to make grime.

Grime (or pseudo-grime) MCs jumping on funky strikes me as very similar to grime MCs making electro-house type tracks, with the caveat that I think the former option has more potential to result in stuff that sounds new and interesting.

The most extreme scenario I can imagine would be an MC takeover of funky which turned it into a UK equivalent of dancehall rather than a UK equivalent of hip hop - in this scenario, the MC and MC-based tracks would become ubiquitous, but the focus would still be on the music as club music for dancing to.

Such a takeover wouldn't bother me in the slightest - the "danger" of the grime route is the deprioritisation of the danceable grooves as the focus of the tracks, which doesn't really happen in dancehall (where the riddim and the voicing have a sort of covalent mix'n'match relationship of equal status).

Grime briefly occupied this space circa the end of 2002, but it was only a brief point along a rapid trajectory from 2-step to fullblown grime-as-uk-rap.

Elijah

Butterz
The most extreme scenario I can imagine would be an MC takeover of funky which turned it into a UK equivalent of dancehall rather than a UK equivalent of hip hop - in this scenario, the MC and MC-based tracks would become ubiquitous, but the focus would still be on the music as club music for dancing to.

yea, but then as soon as 1 mc say sumfin about another, we are back to grime..

Ach!

Turd on the Run
DJ MAK 10 - Thursday 16th April 2009 - midnight till 2am - www.vulive.co.uk / DejaVu 92.4fm

A slightly more sombre, serious set from Mak 10 this time, perhaps a result of all the discussion lately. I guess the prevalence of all the MC singalong tracks is an inevitable consequence of funky's Pop-ularization. My only hope is that the funky maintains these three things: variety, originality, and ENERGY. Also slackk was on the money upthread about HHBanton's selection too - great show.

(after you click on the link, choose your file host and another window will appear - scroll to the bottom and press 'Redirecting to Download Page')

-

Oh. I was going to keep quiet about this track on Geeneus' set from a few weeks back, but it's one of my absolute favourites from the last few months. The beat has such an urgency, and the track is all about n.r.g baby.

Last edited:
Does the funky scene lean towards dubplate culture in the way that dubstep does, where the emphasis is on cutting dubs and getting vinyl pressed?

Because it seems as though dubstep/dubplate culture breeds a one hit wonder mentality where every tune, because it is aimed at vinyl has to be a banger and to be a banger you have to pander to the mass appeal formula.

viktorvaughn

Does the funky scene lean towards dubplate culture in the way that dubstep does, where the emphasis is on cutting dubs and getting vinyl pressed?

Because it seems as though dubstep/dubplate culture breeds a one hit wonder mentality where every tune, because it is aimed at vinyl has to be a banger and to be a banger you have to pander to the mass appeal formula.

I presumed pretty much everyone in funky played off CDs..

boomnoise

♫
and serrato.

never seen a dubplate.

i don't think it really feeds into quality control too much.

i believe that's something can exist regardless of format

Blackdown

nexKeysound

dubplates dont tend to a banger mentality, that's mostly come in dubstep with the shift towards larger clubs and broader audiences more accustomed to mainstream dance genres.

boomnoise

♫
What's the soundsystem at Babalou saying by the way?

Quite decent in some spots around the floor but the space is quite cavernous so it does sound quite weak in places as well.

My main issue last time was with the mix of the bongos. Bit too much with real bongos layered over the track’s bongos with added MC.

I hate a bongo man but I'm still going I think fuck it.

By the way, who made the No Hook refix that's doing the rounds at the moment? I've heard Marcus play it and a couple of other people. It's also on the "Funky Manifesto" comp. I need it.