hangovers

STN

sou'wester
Does anyone else find that drinking in a Sam Smith pub gives you a rare and special form of hangover? Not better or worse, just different.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah.. weird :D

partially maybe because sam smith pubs are so cheap you end up drinking twice as much?

anyone get bad leanovers? absolutely crippling in a way booze hangovers can't compete with but only for about 20 minutes - then fresh as a daisy

it was my birthday earlier this week - had two terrible days at work in a row :( yesterday was a bizarre one, got steadily worse until about 11am then had this sudden rush of euphoria as everything started to clear, then started to wear down gradually again until 5 by which time once again I could barely function

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
There is one low cost drinking establishment I know of where the aftermath often feels like one's veins are flowing with some kind of harsh detergent. Possibly that is actually the case.

Pestario

tell your friends
I get nicotine hangovers after a shisha smoking session. I don't smoke so it just throws my body out of order the day.

STN

sou'wester
Lucky you! Last night i consumed: apricot wine, amaretto, vodka, rum and several beers.

Urk!

PeteUM

It's all grist
Sometimes I think there are an infinite variety of types of hangover. My most common awful ones are the kind where I don't feel sick or have a headache, but I get this weird throbbing in the back of my neck that makes me feel I'm going to pass out.

I too get that thing of a verse of a song going around my head over and over again. It's there when i wake up and I can't get rid of it. Once it was the theme from kids TV show The Tweenies, but as sung by Mark E Smith. You know Satan is fucking with you when you get that kind of shit.

I also have a love/hate relationship with hangovers. It's a bit like the pleasure of being ill and putting your life on hold. You get a bit of perspective or something.

"...bit too much fucking perspective..." most probably.

STN

sou'wester
I've got one of those dreadful over-heating hangovers today.

I also had some pink champagne last night. I am a wreck.

woops

is not like other people
I'm with PeteUM, there are many kinds, floaty ones, chesty ones, welcome ones, plus plain bog standard ones.

I've had 4-5 in my life where I am too sick to move, agonising headache, cant drink water without throwing it back up, certainly can't work, all I can do is sleep and regret. Thats probably alcohol poisoning though isn't it. They clear up at about 6pm and I suddenly feel fine.

PeteUM

It's all grist
What I don't get is how sometimes you wake up feeling like death, but then when you've crawled out of bed and had a cup of tea you're suddenly OK, and yet sometimes you think you're OK when you wake up, and then at about 10:30 in the morning you realise you're totally incapacitated.

I seem to remember another thread about hangover cures so i don't want to go over old ground but once I woke up apocalyptically hungover in Oxford and it was a really swelteringly hot day and there were all these foreign students milling around in the street and it was all I could do to manage to make my way through them all to the station. When I made my connection in London I put myself through some godawful MacDonalds situation, but then after I'd eaten my gone-cold burger and chips on the train home, and maybe had a milkshake, all traces of hangover suddenly vanished. I still think of it as a kind of miracle, because it hasn't ever happened since. They do say you need sugar and salt though, so I guess it makes sense.

Usually I fight it with Guinness and black though, if I'm in a real mess.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
What I don't get is how sometimes you wake up feeling like death, but then when you've crawled out of bed and had a cup of tea you're suddenly OK, and yet sometimes you think you're OK when you wake up, and then at about 10:30 in the morning you realise you're totally incapacitated.

I always assumed that was down to whether or not you're still mildly drunk when you wake up.

STN

sou'wester
Oxford is a dire place to be hungover - narrow streets, exuberant students, young families.

Urgh!

stelfox

Beast of Burden

I seem to remember another thread about hangover cures so i don't want to go over old ground but once I woke up apocalyptically hungover in Oxford and it was a really swelteringly hot day and there were all these foreign students milling around in the street and it was all I could do to manage to make my way through them all to the station. When I made my connection in London I put myself through some godawful MacDonalds situation, but then after I'd eaten my gone-cold burger and chips on the train home, and maybe had a milkshake, all traces of hangover suddenly vanished. I still think of it as a kind of miracle, because it hasn't ever happened since. They do say you need sugar and salt though, so I guess it makes sense.

Usually I fight it with Guinness and black though, if I'm in a real mess.

i won't ever eat mcdonalds, unless i'm hungover. for some reason, they really work, especially if you have a vanilla shake with whatever you order.
another key bit of advice, if you're still drunk when you get up, have another drink as soon as possible. do not get trashed, just have one or two at lunch and maybe one in the evening, then go to bed early. you can pretty much cheat your way out of a hangover by doing this.
there are worse places than oxford to be hungover. anywhere in north america, for example. at least in oxford you're allowed to be honest and admit that you have a terrible hangover. anywhere in the USA/Canada, people will look at you funny then stage some sort of intervention.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Yep. Gave me asthma, the wretched hole.

Though maybe my under-terminal-4-flight-path upbringing is partly responsible.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Worst air in the UK makes for bastard hangovers

Maybe it wasn't the McDonalds then. Maybe it was just the (comparatively) sweet clean air of central London.

Hey HM Govt, I can't find the thread where someone (possibly you) was on about freaky street characters and mentioned the Cambridge guy on a bike with the plastic bag blaring unintelligible rock, and I said I'd never seen him... just started working in town and the dude does laps around the stall where I'm working...all day!