haircuts

benjybars

village elder.
me and a (female) got one of those free cuts from a trainee once... it was at some international hairdressers conference and i had to go up on stage to get my haircut while someone gave a running commentary in front of 30 hairdressers from various parts of the world.

one of the weirdest experiences of my life.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I tend to go long, and vary from looking like a Maltese ponce to looking like an Iron Maiden roadie depending on how long it was since I last got a haircut.

About the best cut I've ever had was from a friend of mine who's a salon hairdresser - a haircut is a fairly personal thing and it really helps to have someone who knows you well enough to understand what you actually want, especially if you're either not good at explaining it or actually don't know yourself - which I'm guessing is fairly common for a man with long hair.

mms

sometimes
i'm considering growing my hair long again, could be the last time. I'm blonde so combine that with a beard and i could almost be a handsome swedish person.
Plus my girlfriend likes it but she has a thing for jeff bridges - kris kristoffeson etc..

jenks

thread death
I've spent the best part of fifteen years shaving my head down to a number 1.

However i have recently grown my hair, just to see if it is still as curly as it was when I used to be able to pull off a pretty good Bolan 'fro.

It is.

Now I have the dilemma of actually having to go and get a hair cut/trim instead of just sitting on a pile of old newspapers and shaving the lot off. Plus my wife tells me that you are expected to tip the hairdresser! Where to go? What to ask for?

As to turning grey - I had hoped for a professorial look(especially as I wear round specs), glinting steel etc but at present it's all just around the egdes like frostbite, I just look old!

swears

preppy-kei
Men's haircuts are just getting silly nowadays, you'll see thirty-something office workers walking around with bird's nest bedheads or ironed-down emo-style fringes. Sort of fellas who do that stupid thing where they wear their tie really short with a stupid fat knot. You're not in sixth form anymore, chump.

STN

sou'wester
Men's haircuts are just getting silly nowadays, you'll see thirty-something office workers walking around with bird's nest bedheads or ironed-down emo-style fringes. Sort of fellas who do that stupid thing where they wear their tie really short with a stupid fat knot. You're not in sixth form anymore, chump.

People who would have ridiculed these haircuts around five years ago. What's changed, you spineless oafs?

It depresses me when I look under some trendy MC Escher print of a haircut and see a thirty-year-old face peering back at me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Yeah, I started noticing this a couple of years ago, it's a sort of post-Hoxton thing. I mean, six or eight years ago there was the "Hoxton fin" (that crappy not-quite-a-mohawk whassisface from Travis had), there was the naff blond highlights, the 'ironic' mullet, the 'emo fringe', as you say - but these were all the exclusive preserve of hipsters swanning about in fashionably grotty bars in Shoreditch. Nowadays you see them on guys who work in mobile phone shops or Wetherspoons. :confused:

swears

preppy-kei
Tea:

Yeah, I remember reading a review of Nathan Barley which suggested that by the time the concept had made it to TV, you basically had half the men under 30 in the UK dressing like the "hipsters" portrayed onscreen, which sort of defeats the point.

A more OTM send-up of this kind of fashion is the episode of Peep Show where Mark is taken clothes shopping with his girlfriend in an effort to make him look trendy:

"That's the way things are these days, let's just put a zip here, a swastika there. Who the hell even knows what these things were used for. Who cares?"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A more OTM send-up of this kind of fashion is the episode of Peep Show where Mark is taken clothes shopping with his girlfriend in an effort to make him look trendy:

"That's the way things are these days, let's just put a zip here, a swastika there. Who the hell even knows what these things were used for. Who cares?"

Haha, must have missed that one. I *heart* Peepshow.

straight

wings cru
when exactly did it become perfectly fine for hetero working class guys to spend half an hour straightening their hair in the morning? thats the sort of thng that would have had me strung up at school

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Your username doth protest too much. :)

when exactly did it become perfectly fine for hetero working class guys to spend half an hour straightening their hair in the morning? thats the sort of thng that would have had me strung up at school

Basically, people just need to harden the fuck up: