what you currently enjoying ?

sgn

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value=""><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Saw Heathers some days ago because someone recommended it somewhere here on dissensus and now I'm totally into this track, it sounds a bit like Hype Williams somehow.

viktorvaughn

Just got into Juvenile's 400 Degreez which I'm loving - bit weirder and maybe less thugged out than expected - is his other stuff worth checking, and other Cash Money stuff of the same era?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Been listening to loads of Dance Mania, Relief Records and other 90s Chicago stuff in a similar style recently. I know this stuff is old news to a lot of people here, but I kind of love it. In some ways I prob prefer it the contemporary footwork/juke stuff that's developed out of it (not that it's not great too obv). At first I expected it all to be very empty/minimal and brittle sounding but it's not, it can be quite varied albeit in a changing-same sort of way. A good set of this stuff can really show you how to do straight 4x4 and it not come out boring.
Some tunes that have stood out for me so far (though of course in some ways this style isn't about individual stand-out tunes and more about the flow of the mix and how each tune contributes to it):

(fuckin love the bassline on this one).

Gombreak

Talking of stuff like that I've been digging through booty house stuff for a little while now. Remembering halcyon days digging through the shout outs on Daft Punk's Teachers when I was like 13, listening to DJ Funk and praying my mother wouldn't walk in.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Nice selections Gombreak. I enjoy the dirty lyric tunes a lot, although I'm glad that they weren't quite the only thing those guys were up to.
More goodies (again may or may not be familiar to the heads on here):
(Think if I heard this one in a club I would go insane).

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Could probably put this on a garage thread but it's not classic 2-step and it's certainly not "future" garage, so this will do. Royal-T remixes nation's sweatheart (I like that typo, it stays), and it's not getting an official release for some obscure reason, but damn is this good:

I found a clean download somewhere or other but I don't remember where. Probably out there somewhere, or else we should all petition Elijah to put it on a Butterz zip (whatever happened to those zips, anyway? I miss them).

Benny Bunter

^ Wicked tune that, I'm sure it did get mentioned on some thread but I don't think dissensus has a very satisfying place to post and discuss the new garage stuff. I've been going on ILX to pick up tips and listening to DJ Q a bit. Stuff like this...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just got into Juvenile's 400 Degreez which I'm loving - bit weirder and maybe less thugged out than expected - is his other stuff worth checking, and other Cash Money stuff of the same era?

Only know the Cash Money hits, but definitely worth checking BG (Bling Bling), Lil Wayne ('Shine') etc. juvenile's probablyy the best though, having said that.

I'm not sure of the precise crossover, but NO bounce records have some gems too if you can get hold of a few mixes. +1000000 points too for large-scale usage of Derek B.

Last edited:

Leo

cool randy newman cover...

a john cale classic...check out the comment:
"This song is really brilliant not only lyrically but also magnificently arranged: In the chorus ("And you know it's true that Wales is not like California in any way and when I listen to your music you're still thousands of miles away") John uses the chord progression from "God only knows".