tom lea

and also, for fuck's sake, one of the best opening lines ever: i move caine like a cripple / balance weight thru the hood / kids call me mr sniffles

Diss04

threads get mangled
I rate The Clipse. They give a nice counterbalance to the ultra-complex coke rhymes of Ghostface with their "so-simple-it's-sick" white bars

drilla

speaking of dead men.... ODB is the best rapper/singer that ever graced Earth. chewonthat

i meant that to be... odb is the best rapper . odb is the best singer. who ever graced the earth. controversy. but it's not the time or place for such things.

love ghost but clipse are complex in another way. i mean maybe i suck but i had to read that double dutch line twice to 'see' it. but then i did. damn. the sing songy rhymes sometimes obfuscate meaning at first blush for me, they can sneak in these visual packets of info under the radar with such symmetrical economy... the achievement is complex, even if the packaging is 'so simple it's sick'

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
speaking of dead men.... ODB is the best rapper/singer that ever graced Earth. chewonthat

Agreed. I was arguing this to a couple people just last night actually but they were all "ghostface ghostface blahblahblah". ODB makes rap that sounds like he's fallen into the muddy pond of his own drunk, high subconscious. It's like hip hop if hip hop was an episode of Felix the Cat. What's not to like?

Wu-Tang are sacred cows though - but see previously stated point that all hip hop is a sacred cow.

Last edited:

gumdrops

not sure if they still are, but clipse definitely were amazing, just for that first album and the mix cds alone.

the ghostface fanboys are a bit irritating (he started to get repetitive after bulletproof wallets imo) but wu tang were all brilliant. even u god and masta killa. :cool:

CrowleyHead

... Wait, wait... Gumdrops...

Did you just say U-God and Masta Killa are brilliant?

For Christ's Sake, Wu-Tang are just 5 MCs and their friends.

martin

----
The Specials - manic depressive fronts a plodding bunch of pub rockers, ripping off random Prince Buster B-sides, and chucks in a load of sexist lyrics about 'slags', a 'little bitch' and a 'silly moo' (then writes some more shite about obsessively harrassing and stalking his ex-girlfriend, before throwing his toys out of the pram when she has a baby with someone she actually likes - probably because his replacement isn't a morose, irresponsible 'rude boy').

Slint - BORING.

The Fall - for fuck's sake, isn't 32 years long enough? It's like some moronic pub bore who follows you around, from town to town.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
even u god...

oh no no my friend I'll ride (kind of) for Masta Killa, but U-God, that's simply a bridge too far. exhibit A - sunset Loveboat surprise sunrise sail/lay on the couch while I clip your toenails. I'll never understand why the hell RZA let him get away w/that one. it's even more embarrassing than "Mind Sex", which at least had one of the dudes from the Last Poets.

Slint - BORING.

I'll see that & raise you Godspeed You! (make sure that exclamation point's in the right spot) Black Emperor.

Last edited:

gumdrops

the wu (recent years excepted of course) are sacred for a reason though :)

ditto public enemy (up to about 93).

theyre just untouchable in my book.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Prince. Great tunes an' all, but some of the most dated 80s production I've ever heard. I've yet to hear a cover version that didn't improve upon the original, sonically speaking.

By 1991 he'd got it right, though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The fucking Beach Boys. Couple of great tunes, sure, but after about ten minutes IT ALL SOUNDS THE FUCKING SAME.

That Panda Bear album sucked, too, for the same reason.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh, and while I'm at it, if I read one more broadsheet review about how amazing Amadou & Mariam are live, I'm gonna kill someone. I've seen them. They're dull. Try watching more than one act from Africa before deciding to canonise.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And shoot me, but, while I like it, I'm never quite sure why Groove Chronicles are so feted. It's v good technically, but...a bit polite, like rare groove for garage fans?

Ok, that's gonna get me killed round these parts.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I actually rate Slint higher than Godspeed, so I'm all for declaring Godspeed a sacred cow.

By that right, I'm sick of people fawning over Explosions In The Sky. They've got to be the most patronising post-rock group ever... The Coldplay of Post-Rock, if you will. Everything they do is so obvious and boring.

Public Enemy have two good records. '91 is an abomination, because Chuck started abandoning Bomb Squad, which is a fatal mistake. And as much as I want to say the debut is okay... ehhhhh... ehhhhhh.....

Hell, a lot of 'Nation Of Millions' is overrated too. It's why I never understood PE preforming the album in it's complete form. Like... You want to hear "Party For Your Right To Fight"? Really?!?

drilla

Prince. Great tunes an' all, but some of the most dated 80s production I've ever heard. I've yet to hear a cover version that didn't improve upon the original, sonically speaking.

By 1991 he'd got it right, though.

this is the most ass backwards idea i've heard... your ears are screwed on wrong

gumdrops

princes production on various tracks *is* dated. he produced quite roughly a lot of the time, to give it more of a live band feel, esp on the purple rain album (i hate the title track btw), but to be fair his (over)production got way worse in the 90s after graffiti bridge (it was already becoming a bit pants on lovesexy though).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've never ever been able to get into Public Enemy, even 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions'. I like 'Don't Believe The Hype' and a couple of others, including 'Rebel Without A Pause' (but I'm not as into that as I presumably should be).

Don't really like Chuck D that much and even though I can see how exciting the production is, it's too... noisy/wallofsoundsy? for me.

I'd like to 'get it', really...