Ian Scuffling

As non-confrontationally as possible, and your beliefs about Hamas aside, shouldn't this metric apply to any country with a politically potent faction actively killing or calling, even obliquely, for the killing of a protected group

shakahislop

There is nowhere on earth that is not part of a nation. Nationalism is fully entrenched and you are complicit in it.
there's loads of pockets around the world which aren't functionally a part of the nation they're supposedly a part of, and which aren't really incorporated into a nation at all. bits of afghanistan, myanmar, DRC, somalia. wantage.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As non-confrontationally as possible, and your beliefs about Hamas aside, shouldn't this metric apply to any country with a politically potent faction actively killing or calling, even obliquely, for the killing of a protected group
Why are Jews, but not Palestinians, "protected"?

Shouldn't humans in general be protected?

mixed_biscuits

there's loads of pockets around the world which aren't functionally a part of the nation they're supposedly a part of, and which aren't really incorporated into a nation at all. bits of afghanistan, myanmar, DRC, somalia. wantage.
The problem with your rebuttal is that you said in your first sentence that they are all part of a nation, which is what I said.

mixed_biscuits

I don't know why you chose to extend the point by 'even obliquely' but, yes, ideally one doesn't want bloodthirsty racist terrorists to be in charge of any countries as civilised nations will be hoping to deal with them in a more civilised way.

mixed_biscuits

shakahislop

The official status is my point; if there were any meaningful non-nationalist movement then the areas you describe would not belong nominally to a nation.
depends exactly where you're talking about. there are meaningful non-nationalist movements as you say in these places. the easy example for me to talk about is the taliban from 2005 to 2021. the areas they controlled weren't part of any nation. the government lost any control over larger and larger areas of the country. what it was replaced by was not a nation. it was a different form, a different category of thing. i think although the general points are correct, people overstate the reach of phenomena like nation states, globalization, capitalism. these things are not absolutely everywhere. they're almost everywhere, but there are still corners of the planet where people live under different power structures and logics.

mixed_biscuits

depends exactly where you're talking about. there are meaningful non-nationalist movements as you say in these places. the easy example for me to talk about is the taliban from 2005 to 2021. the areas they controlled weren't part of any nation. the government lost any control over larger and larger areas of the country. what it was replaced by was not a nation. it was a different form, a different category of thing. i think although the general points are correct, people overstate the reach of phenomena like nation states, globalization, capitalism. these things are not absolutely everywhere. they're almost everywhere, but there are still corners of the planet where people live under different power structures and logics.
BCD.png

I don't see how the Taliban aren't ruling Afghanistan in ways that lie within the range of national rule. So before that time they weren't anti-nationalist they were frustrated nationalists.