London Classics 1991-NOW

D

droid

Oh yeah - Dope Dragon, V, Full Cycle, Philly Blunt, More Rockers, Flynn and Flora... its a London ting... :rolleyes:

luka

stop being a troublemaker, you were being well behaved up until now droid..... ialmost complimented oyu earlier

bassnation

the abyss
;) Im finally moving up in the world.

lets be honest though, roni size had a lot of promise, but nu forms was utter shit. later full cycle output was ropey at best. but nothing to do with bristol, just the general direction of the scene (up its own arse) really.

D

droid

lets be honest though, roni size had a lot of promise, but nu forms was utter shit. later full cycle output was ropey at best. but nothing to do with bristol, just the general direction of the scene (up its own arse) really.

New forms has a few good tunes on it. its not that bad. Not inspiring but not shit.

Early full cycle, Dope Dragon, V and Philly Blunt are all crucial though:

And this (even though I cant find the right version) What a tune!

But yeah, like everywhere else, Bristol dropped the ball.

Client Eastwood

before the ball dropped in Brizzle came tunes like these, a slower variant of the jump up London jungle

fresh four - wishing on a star
featuring a young dj krust

carlton - do you dream

smith and mighty - gimme your love

smith and mighty - walk on by

Tim F

Representing for my bubblin' crews:

(I've described this tune as standing at the very centre of my entire aesthetic universe)

(strangely overlooked classic)

(I'd never heard this one before!)

(one of my favourite tunes ever, makes me cry every time)

(short-circuit between mercantilism and experimentalism - most avant shit you've heard)

(in line with the above - one of the most satisfying grooves ever)

(float like a butterfly, sting like a b-line)

(can't believe this track came out when it did)

(so rude)

luka

dont think i can't do garage too though....
zoopzoopzoop!
on another thread i said ho fwd was the worst club i've ever been too. let me tell you about the best. club eq, stratford in the garage days, espeically if heartless was there. comfortabley the best. so much fun. at fwd aged about i dunno, 24 or something, oyungest in the club, eq aged 19, oldest in the club!

luka

(one of my favourite tunes ever, makes me cry every time)

yeah thats too gorgoues but that is scandously slow, incredibly frustratig hearing it played that slow....
going through these tunes now, selction is incredible tim!
all these youtube garage things are too slow, dont they know o pitch it up? idiots! brigands! neer-do-wells!
i got a little personal theory that when things go housey its south londnon driven.... when thing do rawer its east 9(speaking ver broadly)
V

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
The Steve Gurley anthem, but they were all wicked really, especially his mix of Hyperfunk.

Dem 2's militant alias, after thousands of plays I think this tune is hotwired to my central nervous system.

Tim, Skycap's Endorphins and M Dubz's Body Killing are possibly two of the most sublime records ever, I'm sure you'll agree. Can't find KMA's Cape Fear on here. I worked in a records shop at one point and I remember there were about 15 copies of it left, never took one thinking there'd be one about for me, now they change hands for silly money.

Always loved this Tuff Jam track too, real underground bubbler, so much vibe.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Footloose was talking about this one on his house show on 1Xtra. I didn't know it by name, but this is another previously anonymous classic from the hardcore era.

This one is definitely one of the best Steve Gurley ones, dont think it ever got a proper release, funny as I thought it would have sold a ton. Sounds even better pitched up

dangercart

i fell asleep on the way to a squat party a few weekends ago (check out my rave credentials lol) and woke up in hainault. on the journey to the party, i saw the green man interchange and was immediately reminded of this -

- and was instantly in the mood to rave it up. the party, suffice to say, was utterly, utterly crap, one room of "free party" tekno and not much else.

does anyone know of any hardcore nights in london that aren't ridiculously self consciously "mental-mental chicken oriental" (i'm thinking of bangface here) or just one room in a £20 to get in dnb night?

mms

sometimes
while yr on the shut up and dance tip nicolette - single minded people

also blapps posse buss it

very early hardcore

also i like this lot 2 kilos on radioactive lamb
sort of moody gloomy old hardcore, hints of burial maybe?

Last edited:

blissblogger

this absolute killer was on the first or second tape i made off pirate radio, spring 92, touchdown fm

only found out what it was many, many years later

DJ phantasy – tell me somethin’ off The Jungle Remixes EP

blissblogger

did somebody already do this?

likewise this

and quite a bit later

used to hear that every half an hour on the pirates at one point