Culinary Mashups

zhao

there are no accidents
some foodie friends of mine were telling me about these great Indian/chinese cross over restaurants in India, and also, if i remember correctly in England. they told me with straight faces that this fusion style is so good as to be almost better than traditional recipes from either culture.

anyone can confirm this?!!?!

another thing i heard which is a great idea is Jerk-Pizza. that has got to be one tasty pie... can you buy jerk sauce readily at the market in UK? anyone ever try making pizza with it??

stelfox

Beast of Burden
you can buy jerk sauce in most london supermarkets, not throughout the UK, though. the jerk pizza sounds like an act of blasphemy against both jerk chicken and pizza (probably does taste great but it just seems a bit pointless to me). i'm sure i've mentioned this before, but there's a place in norfolk, england (think smalltown midwestern USA, but with people who are much more stupid and far more drunk), where my dad lives, that makes a doner kebab pizza. a pizza base, slathered in blazing-hot chilli sauce, covered in processed lamb doner meat — this stuff is so bad for you that it can just about kill you in one sitting — onions, sliced green chillis and a layer of cheese. what the hell can the person who invented that have been thinking?

Last edited:

andrewdigits

andrew.digits
Deep fried Pizza are getting more and more regular in Scotland, I've yet to see deep fried Donna kebab pizza though.

STN

sou'wester
My mate and I spent years fantasizing about the doner kebab pizza. Then we found a olace which did it and it was fucking disgusting. I am easily surprised, it must be said.

zhao

there are no accidents
the jerk pizza sounds like an act of blasphemy against both jerk chicken and pizza

well if you just substitute tomato sauce with jerk sauce, and add some chicken. sounds fucking great to me.

no one knows about these Indian/Chinese fusion places? i guess maybe i remember wrong and that it was not in England they had this... i'll get to the bottom.

anyway been fantasizing about food a lot lately... i think i need a vacation from the deutscheland diet...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Donna kebab pizza is actual a staple food up here in Manchester"
Used to have it when I lived in Nottingham, can't remember what it was like though so I can't believe that it was that great or terrible.

"no one knows about these Indian/Chinese fusion places? i guess maybe i remember wrong and that it was not in England they had this... i'll get to the bottom."
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did have this kind of thing though. I mean, some cuisines are similar to a mixture of those two anyway. I'm thinking Thai or Indonesian. Not exactly obviously but you have the creamyness of a curry and the sharpness that I associate with Chinese food and probably other elements that are common to one or the other.

straight

wings cru
well if you just substitute tomato sauce with jerk sauce, and add some chicken. sounds fucking great to me.

no one knows about these Indian/Chinese fusion places? i guess maybe i remember wrong and that it was not in England they had this... i'll get to the bottom.

anyway been fantasizing about food a lot lately... i think i need a vacation from the deutscheland diet...

this indian/chinese mixups are a new one on me and i visit a lot of ropey eating establishments. Ive always wanted to like jerk sauce more than i do, give me peri peri any day. i could imagine a reggae reggae pizza being much better than that tepid subway affair though.

Im so spoiled with amazing turkish/carribean grub round our way Im actually starting to sound like some pathetic algarve expat as all i want is fish chips and mushy peas that doesnt cost 8 quid. Toffs in muswell hill is amazing though, much as i give off every time my girly wants it.

I found the food in berlin really unusual, not bad but a bit identity free. Had a rather weird gratin that was more like a pasanda with black pudding and i was forced into one establishment claiming to be the anti McD's which seemed to consist of nothing but cheesy naans with rocket on. if thats the opposite of McDs then im off for a double sausage and egg mcmuffin

Client Eastwood

Ive got back from North India earlier this week, didnt really visit any resturants as I was mostly rural and the street food was so nice and cheap.

As well the usual chaat, somasas, pakoras a lot of vendors were selling noodles with varoius veg thrown in, sort of like a stir fry but using indian spices, really tasty and cheap about 50 rupees (about 30p) for a portion.

Walkerswood jerk sauce is standard in my household to marinade veg, chicken, fish, even paneer and then into the oven for a roasting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Chicken on pizza is an abomination, it ends up all dry and yuk.

Ham (eg. prosciutto), bacon and dry-cured pork sausage (salami, pepperoni, kabanos etc.) are the only meats that belong on a pizza, in my book.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Ham (eg. prosciutto), bacon and dry-cured pork sausage (salami, pepperoni, kabanos etc.) are the only meats that belong on a pizza, in my book."
Eh? What about (ground) beef?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did have this kind of thing though. I mean, some cuisines are similar to a mixture of those two anyway. I'm thinking Thai or Indonesian. Not exactly obviously but you have the creamyness of a curry and the sharpness that I associate with Chinese food and probably other elements that are common to one or the other.

Heh, I was about to say "Chinese + Indian = Thai", but I was afraid of being shot down in flames as a phillistine. But then, most of this thread so far has been about donner kebab pizzas, so I was probably being overly cautious.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Eh? What about (ground) beef?

A common staple on take-away pizzas, to be sure (sound the snobbery alarm!), but I can't remember seeing it on a pizza from a proper restaurant and I'd certainly never put it on one I'd made myself. Where do you get the stuff, anyway? I presume you don't just open up a packet of normal minced beef and pour it on the pizza. Seems to be one of those ingredients only take-aways have access to.

Indonesian food is almost a hybrid of indian and chinese - mie goreng (fried noodles with a curry like flavour), nasi goreng (fried rice with a currylike flavour), rendang (beef curry with a more savoury, far eastern flavour than a madras, for example), babi guling (sweet roast piglet) are good examples. Comes from being a once-entirely-Hindu archipelago on the trade routes from China.

All pizza is an abomination. Shit on a discus. Some people (e.g my brother) like pizza with great globs of mayonnaise on it. Dry heaving at the thought of tasting the chicken and mayonnaise pizza he ordered in Tokyo.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Ive got back from North India earlier this week, didnt really visit any resturants as I was mostly rural and the street food was so nice and cheap.

As well the usual chaat, somasas, pakoras a lot of vendors were selling noodles with varoius veg thrown in, sort of like a stir fry but using indian spices, really tasty and cheap about 50 rupees (about 30p) for a portion.

Walkerswood jerk sauce is standard in my household to marinade veg, chicken, fish, even paneer and then into the oven for a roasting.

walkerswood jerk spice is ok but you're much better off making your own. it's piss easy and much fresher. the walkerswood or grace pastes need more lime and more dry spice.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

On a wacky pizza tip Croma in Manchester (now shut down I think) used to do duck with hoi sin sauce which was nice (if gimmicky).

Also see green Thai curry chicken pizza somewhere which did not appeal.

I think classics are best - ham and mushroom with olives probably the best ever imo.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, stick with the old faves as far as pizzas go. Sweet peppers, anchovies and capers are a good bet, too.

I do like mixing it up a bit with cheese combos, though - mozzarella, mature cheddar, something strong and blue and a few slices of halloumi. GET IN! :D