The most you ever spent on one record

What is the most you have ever spent on a record?

• Never spent a penny on a record

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 20 quid or less

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • 30 quid or less

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • 40 quid or less

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 50 quid or less

• 75 quid or less

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 100 quid or less

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 150 quid or less

• 200 quid or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 200 quid

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
50 quid on Congo Natty's Your Love - though the seller chucked in the remix of Ready Or Not. There was supposed to be some other stuff as well but the seller kind of flaked out. I met him at a party a while later and he offered a gram of coke to make up for it. I declined.

Your Love is worth 50 quid anyway in my book, best jungle tune ever for me.

I don't have ANY tunes on 500 Records. That's kind of sad.

john eden

male pale and stale
I would probably spend more on some stuff these days. But generally I am still really tight-fisted about buying tunes.

I'd much rather spend 30 quid on a load of stuff for 2 quid a pop than 30 quid on one thing.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
The most expensive was this:
http://www.discogs.com/Vector-Lovers-Graviton-EP/release/1222327

which I paid $30.19 for (I think it was 20 quid including shipping) which I got more for collecting purposes than anything.

The most I paid for a record I actually wanted was $24.53 for http://www.discogs.com/David-Michael-Cross-Future-Man-Cold-War/release/133573

I bought it straight from the label as I couldn't find it anywhere else (for a reasonable price). Strange that people would be selling it for so much when the label still had some.

mms

sometimes
The most expensive was this:
http://www.discogs.com/Vector-Lovers-Graviton-EP/release/1222327

which I paid $30.19 for (I think it was 20 quid including shipping) which I got more for collecting purposes than anything.

The most I paid for a record I actually wanted was $24.53 for http://www.discogs.com/David-Michael-Cross-Future-Man-Cold-War/release/133573

I bought it straight from the label as I couldn't find it anywhere else (for a reasonable price). Strange that people would be selling it for so much when the label still had some.

thats funny cos david michael cross posts on dissensus you know :)

Last edited:

oswellm

I'm generally in agreement with those who've said that it's a bit sad to pay a huge amount for a single record — or at least, it's not really very satisfying.

I think the most I've paid for a single record was £24 for Loveless, although the most I've paid for a release was £30 for Moodymann's Black Mahogani 3LP. Worth it in both cases, I'd say.

Besides, I like to think such whimsies are offset by the times you get something utterly awesome for £2

I've got an acquaintance who's considerably more dedicated to Skam than I am, who spent upwards of £300 for the first of the MASK series records.. It's nice to have a physical copy and all, I'm sure, but I'd struggle to justify such a huge outlay (especially when two of the tracks are complete rubbish anyway).

oswellm

oh, and I think the most I spent on a 12" single was £16 for The Return of Drexciya. It's actually quite painful how expensive all their stuff seems to be.

mms

sometimes
i sold a cassette tape of boards of canada, some japanese promo thing which i have never opened , will never listen to or anything, i'm not a big fan of theirs really, for £60 last year and i learn't not to get into a conversation with a guy who spends £60 on a boards of canada cassette tape.NOT NORMAL.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
£35 on a mint Scott 3. This was in 1995, so a considerable chunk of teenage holiday job wages. I loved the gatefold cover!

Within two years I found the thing unlistenable, not because of the lovely arrangements, but due to Walker's risible lyrics and/or ludicrously portentous croon. I ended up selling it to Reckless on Berwick Street (RIP).

DannyL

Wild Horses
Funny, circles you move in and all that. I'd spend a lot more than my current top if I thought something was genuinely collectible ie.e if what you're buying is equivalent to an antique in some way. A genuinely rare, 40 year old artifact (like the record mentioned above) one off that you will never see again, is worth a few hundred, I think. Whether you want to allocate those resources to it is another matter of course....

EDIT: I should add that part of the fun of buying records should be buying good and interesting stuff for cheap IMO, just in case I come off like a collector saddo...

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The higher popsike prices on the Mandy Morton LP are for the blue vinyl version (only 20 copies pressed!), think the regular version peaks at about £400, though I guess the signatures on mine could push the price up. That's not even my best bargain though, I got this for £2.50 (yes, two pounds and fifty pence), I've heard about it changing hands for $1000 before.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Danny, I saw a Yeti re-press (2x vinyl gatefold) for £12 today. Finding a CD version was hard enough 10 years ago. I like that every now and again this sort of stuff pops up, 'though it must surely fuck off collectors.

i spent £12 on a 7" recently. Generally I'd rather come across stuff on the off chance, as percieved monetary value is fleeting (how much do MASK 12"s go for now, after the frenzy of a few years ago?)

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I think records are worth splashing out on if you have the dough, just because they are such special, tactile artifacts. They are as handsome as the best things you can own: books, shoes, vintage wine, a classic car...

We all want to know, though, don't we, the highest amount Woebot has ever paid for a record...

I know I do.

craner

Beast of Burden
A good alternative thread to this would be the best bargains you'd had, like, for me, I got this for 2 quid second hand in 1994 at More Music on St Helen's Road in Swansea, and it still stands proud in my much diminished vinyl stack (there was a time, vis a vis hardcore and jungle, when second hand dealers didn't know what they had!)

craner

Beast of Burden
However, I did once consider spending £25 on this at Reckless, but thought better of it, and spent the money on a debauched night out in Soho instead. Then again, that night is lost forever in the mists of time, and I would now have that wonderful record instead. Hmm...