The most you ever spent on one record

What is the most you have ever spent on a record?

• Never spent a penny on a record

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 20 quid or less

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • 30 quid or less

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • 40 quid or less

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 50 quid or less

• 75 quid or less

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 100 quid or less

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 150 quid or less

• 200 quid or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 200 quid

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

craner

Beast of Burden
Also remember being nearly seduced by a £50 copy of Tim Buckley's Starsailor at Reckless. I wanted it so bad! But I just couldn't do that. I mean, two weeks without eating, just for an LP, you have to draw the line somewhere...right?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Danny, I saw a Yeti re-press (2x vinyl gatefold) for £12 today. Finding a CD version was hard enough 10 years ago. I like that every now and again this sort of stuff pops up, 'though it must surely fuck off collectors.

i spent £12 on a 7" recently. Generally I'd rather come across stuff on the off chance, as percieved monetary value is fleeting (how much do MASK 12"s go for now, after the frenzy of a few years ago?)

Doesn't really fuck me off, if I'm understanding you correctly. I like having original presses (if not first presses, then something contemporary) - that's part of what I want to pay for, having "old objects". If you're going to be enough of a wally to collect records in the first place, you may as well *collect*, if uknowadimean? This is what I was trying to get at in my post above, comparing the original objects to rare books/art whatever.

BBR: Good work on that Gospelfolk thing! You seem to have an eye for a bargain!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Also remember being nearly seduced by a £50 copy of Tim Buckley's Starsailor at Reckless. I wanted it so bad! But I just couldn't do that. I mean, two weeks without eating, just for an LP, you have to draw the line somewhere...right?

Hmmm.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think the bargains thread would be an excellent idea!

That Rufigue Cru one should go straight in there.

I think one of my best finds would be HMS Donovan for a quid in a charity shop a month or two ago. Not lucked out with anything super rare yet. Did find a copy of the Trojan Red Red Wine comp on Monday in Oxfam though, which I was chuffed about as I gave my copy away to one of my mates.

craner

Beast of Burden
It was a great shop for a while. This too, for roughly the same price. And a mint original of Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star for a fiver! You only had to be slightly wised up to reap amazing rewards in Swansea. When I got to London, I was disgusted by the prices.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Ha! If only I was so enterprising!

I've ticked the £40 mark, but only cos I bought the James Brown "Star Time" 4CD box with my paper round Xmas money for £36 in about 1991! Bar that, never over £20, & I think that only once, for a white label bootleg EP thing, & that was a sorta record shop etiquette misunderstanding that I didn't feel I could back out of!! I'm with the rarely over a tenner guys...

Despite this, I've got about 6000 records/CDs/etc, most of which I am very fond of, & a pretty damn diminished wants list...unless yr after that particular pressing, most things turn up cheap in the end...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Looks like I'm gonna be spending a considerable but still below-average sum for an original of Comus - First Utterance soon, which will probably be a new personal best.

massrock

Looks like I'm gonna be spending a considerable but still below-average sum for an original of Comus - First Utterance soon, which will probably be a new personal best.
There's a new reissue due very soon isn't there? I have the one on Get Back from a few years ago and you get the EP as well which is pretty good.

I would say I understand wanting the original but I don't really any more, unless it's to impress dark mysterious folk chicks or equivalent.

nochexxx

harco pronting
There's a new reissue due very soon isn't there? I have the one on Get Back from a few years ago and you get the EP as well which is pretty good.

i hope thats true i've been hunting for that record at a reasonable price for sometime now.

i've just spent £40 (my personal best) on a john bender record, but to me it's compleley worth it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"There's a new reissue due very soon isn't there? I have the one on Get Back from a few years ago and you get the EP as well which is pretty good."
I thought that the reissue suffered from a mispressing or poor mastering or something on one of the tracks though...? Or am I getting confused?

I inherited some money recently and I treated myself to the two most expensive records of my life which both cost in the region of a hundred pounds. Well worth the money although I wouldn't do it under normal circumstances. Probably.

"i've just spent £40 (my personal best) on a john bender record, but to me it's compleley worth it."
Is that kind of avant-garde synth stuff? What's it like?

nochexxx

harco pronting
I inherited some money recently and I treated myself to the two most expensive records of my life which both cost in the region of a hundred pounds. Well worth the money although I wouldn't do it under normal circumstances. Probably.

spit it out man! what are these records?

Is that kind of avant-garde synth stuff? What's it like?

sorta minimal wave, uniquely ameturish, i imagine some freak holed up in his bedroom with nothing but a space echo and an ms20 for company. i'll find a link, so you can hear yourself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"sorta minimal wave, uniquely ameturish, i imagine some freak holed up in his bedroom with nothing but a space echo and an ms20 for company. i'll find a link, so you can hear yourself."
Nice one, I'd like to hear that.

"spit it out man! what are these records?"
One was a fairly well known library record by Cecil Leuter (who is actually Roger Roger under a different name) called Pop Electroniques - I probably paid slightly over the odds for it but I've been after it for ever and it came up on ebay just the exact same week I was feeling flush.
The other one was a bizarre record that came free with some Volkswagen vans in Holland in the seventies. One absolutely killer psych jazz jam - the rest total bobbins. No idea on earth why they were giving that away with a van.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I would say I understand wanting the original but I don't really any more, unless it's to impress dark mysterious folk chicks or equivalent.

It means that when I inevitably have to sell my record collection, I can turn a profit.

I want some dark mysterious folk chicks now...