timbaland/neptunes

rubberdingyrapids

Mediocre? She wrote One in a million!

as a writer, yeah, shes written some good tracks for loads of diff artists (can we, hot like fire, 4 page letter, etc etc). but as an artist in her own right, while i liked the videos, and i think she inspired timbo to make some of his all time best tracks, it was more just about her as a personality or character rather than as a great rapper. weirdly i liked her more as a singer than rapper. the so addictive album is prob my favourite of hers. actually theres just something about missy that i really hate. i suppose you could look at her as a kind of female answer to busta rhymes but id take busta any day of the week.

that famlay beat is sick, though famlay is pretty average.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surely the projection of your personality is part of being a great rapper though, and can't be separated. Technically excellent rappers without personality are like Celine Dion in the listening stakes.

I think as one of the highest profile female rappers, Missy often gets held to higher standards than men do, tbh. She's made some amazing records.

The comparison with Busta Rhymes is a good one though.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

im not saying i want her to be like a female eminem or nas but shes so far from that that it does create a problem for me. theres other female rappers i like more. early lil kim and trina, for instance, i think theyre both better than missy. and i dont think anyone could say kim or trina dont have personality. since were talking about female rappers, foxy brown is shit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fair enough. But, speaking generally I think Missy would be more unanimously celebrated if she were a man, as technically so-so male rappers with strong personality tend to be less held up to scrutiny,and accepted for what they are. Of course that's happening in all walks of life, not just rap (and of course happens along all lines of power - eg for black actors).

rubberdingyrapids

true. like cam'ron was. but then i think a lot of rappers who get praised for being a bit shit but quirky like 2 chainz are overpraised too. post-pitchfork journos are far too impressed with wafer thin layers of quirk or oddness.

kool keith needs to mount a rick rubin-style comeback.

busta is brilliant btw, just in case anyone thought i was criticising him.