sufi

lala

william kent

that series has the best selection of spectacles ever. Every pair of glasses is a design classic, scene after scene, character after character
sorry if that's off topic but i would love to be in that 70's Rome of immaculate and elegant eyewear

yeh tbh the last episode was v confusing

Finished it last night. Thought that last episode felt very rushed. I liked the way the historical footage was used throughout the series, but at the end it felt a bit tacked on and the whole thing ended rather abruptly. Definitely the weakest episode.

sufi

lala
Finished it last night. Thought that last episode felt very rushed. I liked the way the historical footage was used throughout the series, but at the end it felt a bit tacked on and the whole thing ended rather abruptly. Definitely the weakest episode.
yeah how come he got out (in the same scene they showed the very beginning of the series) and then he didnt? it was like 2 alternative endings, but was not really clear about how or why they connected
so i went straight down the wikirabbit hole, having stayed out of it while i watched to avoid spoilers

sufi

lala
yeah how come he got out (in the same scene they showed the very beginning of the series) and then he didnt? it was like 2 alternative endings, but was not really clear about how or why they connected
so i went straight down the wikirabbit hole, having stayed out of it while i watched to avoid spoilers
not even like they suggested a conspiracy that the govt rescued him then bumped him off, 2 quite separate chains of events were portrayed?

william kent

I thought the sequence where he was released was supposed to be Cossiga's fantasy before the big reveal that his body had been found.

william kent

not even like they suggested a conspiracy that the govt rescued him then bumped him off,

This was an interesting irl development from March this year, although it had been suspected for a long time and the headline's more concrete than what Jucci actually says:

Speaking candidly in the twilight of his years (at 98 years old, Jucci “maintains an iron memory: He remembers everything, every detail of the extraordinary career”), the general records how then-interior minister Francesco Cossiga, who set up a crisis committee to rescue Moro, placed him “in charge of the raiders” who would free the captive politician once his whereabouts were ascertained. “They had to operate with pinpoint precision, so as not to risk the hostage's life.”

Jucci, then a high-ranking official within now-defunct Servizio Informazioni Operative e Situazione, assembled a crack squad drawn from the ranks of Italy’s “legendary” Col Moschin paratrooper assault regiment. He equipped them with “sophisticated” British- and German-made weapons, and had the team “trained non-stop in a secret base” in Tuscany. As such, he was “not an actor, only an extra,” in the race to rescue Moro. Ominously, the general believes this may have been by design:

“The real goal was to get me out of the way…My biggest regret about the Moro case is that I didn’t understand I was being exploited…They had put me in a corner and sent me away from Rome so as not to see and not to operate.”

[...]

“[The committee] ...was advised by a man sent by the US and…composed largely of [P2]. All people who, in my opinion, wanted things to go in a different way from what all honest people were asking for. Moro had to be destroyed politically and physically: if he had survived, Italy’s politics would have developed differently…I believe Moro could have been freed if all the institutions had worked in this direction.”

william kent

right that sorta makes sense
cossiga what a dog, nice specs tho

According to Jucci, Cossiga was the only one who seemed to give a shit.

The general has no doubt that Cossiga’s determination to rescue Moro was deeply sincere. After he failed, he resigned his post as interior minister “and disappeared.” Jucci tracked him down “after a few days” to an apartment near Rome’s famous Piazza San Silvestro, where he spent his days ruminating alone, a non-commissioned Italian naval officer bringing him food. When he visited Cossiga:

“He looked at me mutely for many minutes. Then he would say, ‘maybe I could have done more.’ For him, it was an obsession, which I think marked his life.”

sufi

lala
According to Jucci, Cossiga was the only one who seemed to give a shit.

The general has no doubt that Cossiga’s determination to rescue Moro was deeply sincere. After he failed, he resigned his post as interior minister “and disappeared.” Jucci tracked him down “after a few days” to an apartment near Rome’s famous Piazza San Silvestro, where he spent his days ruminating alone, a non-commissioned Italian naval officer bringing him food. When he visited Cossiga:

“He looked at me mutely for many minutes. Then he would say, ‘maybe I could have done more.’ For him, it was an obsession, which I think marked his life.”
i liked how it portrayed him as tripping his nut off

william kent

i liked how it portrayed him as tripping his nut off

Yeah, was he in some sensory deprivation thing at one point? I couldn't work out what was going on there when people were visiting him in that white, padded room in the dark. It looked like an anechoic chamber or something. Moro says Cossiga's bipolar when he talks to the priest in the last episode, so maybe it calms him down when he's on a down swing.

sufi

lala
Yeah, was he in some sensory deprivation thing at one point? I couldn't work out what was going on there when people were visiting him in that white, padded room in the dark. It looked like an anechoic chamber or something. Moro says Cossiga's bipolar when he talks to the priest in the last episode, so maybe it calms him down when he's on a down swing.
don't they have similar rooms in tinker tailor, to dampen sound and foil eavesdroppers?

william kent

don't they have similar rooms in tinker tailor, to dampen sound and foil eavesdroppers?

Oh, yeah. They do. He was sat in that room on his own and they talked with the door open though, also a lot of things were discussed in people's offices.

tinker-tailor-soldier-spy.jpg

william kent

I enjoyed the series, but there was a lot left out and I'm not sure how well I'd have followed it had I not been familiar with the events. Struggled with Sorrentino's film on Andreotti for that reason, watched it years and years ago, before I knew anything about Italian politics, and had no clue who anyone was or what was supposed to be happening.

sufi

lala
I enjoyed the series, but there was a lot left out and I'm not sure how well I'd have followed it had I not been familiar with the events. Struggled with Sorrentino's film on Andreotti for that reason, watched it years and years ago, before I knew anything about Italian politics, and had no clue who anyone was or what was supposed to be happening.
I've moved on to the Catherine the Great series, still historical drama but quite different atmosphere - not sure how far i'll get but a good larf so far for sure