ginsu

battling at clubs is a way for fancy dancers to show off. its not really agressive, thats all theatrical like krumping. a way to be macho and dance at the same time.

most people with skills keep shit really basic and small unless theyre flexin. clubs get crowded

also peek sabar for african roots of this style of footwork

doom

Public Housing
the midwest has been rocking fast house/techno since the early 90s(?) early acid house had some 170 bpm styles and detroit too, maybe influenced by gabber - maybe the other way around - its hard to tell some times.

Delta 9 was from Chicago yh? His Hardcore tracks always sounded alot housier than the guitar, 303, 909 assaults D.O.A where doing or any of the Industrial Strength NYC Speedcore.

There is something really old about the Juke battle scenes on youtube, chking this Sabar doco, thanks Ginsu.

SOS

sorry if I missed links earlier in the thread but are there any good mixes about anywhere from juke djs? Really liking those kinda eerie surreal ones with cut up melancholy samples over the top. it's difficult to tell from those youtube videos, but is the idea to synchronize with the toms or something when your footwuurkin?

ginsu

i dont know an exact answer about the toms. but watch that MTV clip up on youtube about juking. they cover "dribbling" which is the basic step in juke - just shuffling your feet really fast to the beat. it also helps if you jack really fast to the beat - yunno the house basic "jack" where you do a fast body roll to the beat with a chest pop. it helps keep time when moving your body weight around.

sabar is more closely related to jit. but you can see from the clips that the juke/jit rivaly has raised awareness between the two styles and juke dancers are adding jit like moves. lately ive noticed that jit dancers are moving into the break dancing scene and hitting regional battles.

SOS

cheers ginsu,

would kill for a dj spinn mixtape right now, his tracks on the juke traxx online series are bad.

plus going by the 3 tracks rolled out in this video, i think full mix tape would be very good indeed.

I love the way it feels like there's two tempos to the sound. There's a party sound track but also a sad slow jam at the same time.

This could easily be a description of Jungle circa 93 (think Tom & Jerry) when the garms were designaah & the mandem swapped rum for Moet. :cool:

Having said that, the DJ Nate beat with Deniece Williams 'Free' absolutely nails that sweet-soul-atop-dark-bass concept - I can't stop listening to it.

If any of you juke-savvy types could point me in the direction of a downloadable version of the track I'd really appreciate it.

Client Eastwood

sorry if I missed links earlier in the thread but are there any good mixes about anywhere from juke djs? Really liking those kinda eerie surreal ones with cut up melancholy samples over the top. it's difficult to tell from those youtube videos, but is the idea to synchronize with the toms or something when your footwuurkin?

there's some in the mix posted by wise. that's the style im feeling the most and the pure instruments with slo mo keys over the top. the timestretched vocal been done before in many musics but they work so well with the frantic toms.

that outro track at 43min - gosh !

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
Leatherface - Ronin (Jukechainsaw Massacre Vol 2)

Oh my days! I CAN'T stop listening to this tune!

It makes me want to cry, do a stupid dance then have another little cry

so good

Anyone now what the piano sample is?

BTW Juke tracks are available from amazon now 50p cheaper than juno for 320s!

the ig

does anyone here know about the genealogy of this music? is it a development from chicago house (through various mutations) or does it come in from outside via say other ghettos styles from detroit (techno bass / ghetto bass), bmore, whatever?

i mean there was a sort of hardening and 'ghettoising' of house with what i think was know in chicago as 'hard house' (NOT to be confused with uk homegrown style!) and also with 'ghetto house' which meant stuff like mike dearborn, dj rush, dj funk, dj skull, dj deeon, robert armani, lester fitzpatrick. (variations there already between v booty-ish stuff, very jacking techno-ish stuff and particularly tough acid) stuff on dance mania and relief of course, stuff that pro-jex picked up on over here and i started hearing called simply chicago techno.
love it all!
is this the stuff that morphed into juke?
if so...what are the missing links in the evolution between say deeon and the stuff linked on this thread?

...aslo anyone who knows of good net resources or texts on afro-american street dance styles i'd much appreciate some pointers.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
does anyone here know about the genealogy of this music? is it a development from chicago house (through various mutations) or does it come in from outside via say other ghettos styles from detroit (techno bass / ghetto bass), bmore, whatever?

i mean there was a sort of hardening and 'ghettoising' of house with what i think was know in chicago as 'hard house' (NOT to be confused with uk homegrown style!) and also with 'ghetto house' which meant stuff like mike dearborn, dj rush, dj funk, dj skull, dj deeon, robert armani, lester fitzpatrick. (variations there already between v booty-ish stuff, very jacking techno-ish stuff and particularly tough acid) stuff on dance mania and relief of course, stuff that pro-jex picked up on over here and i started hearing called simply chicago techno.
love it all!
is this the stuff that morphed into juke?
if so...what are the missing links in the evolution between say deeon and the stuff linked on this thread?

...aslo anyone who knows of good net resources or texts on afro-american street dance styles i'd much appreciate some pointers.

the ig - I would say that juke is the offspring of ghetto house, crunk, miami bass, jungle and detroit electro bass.

An old friend of mine made a documentary of ghetto house / early juke -
I posted this on Dissensus years ago but I will post it in this thread again for some historical perspective on the music.

(As a side note one of my first gigs as a DJ was with Dj Deeon and Dj Funk in 96)

Ghetto Tracks - Ghetto House 4 Life! Dance Mania (Chicago) Video By Ruben Fleischer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: