mms

sometimes
hey foax,

has this been mentioned here at all? interesting bit of history. i guess where northern soul and uk jazz dance was meeting breaking. they called it footworking apparently. i mean interesting that it's captured in a pop video in 1984.

yep old jazz dancers used both footwork and 2 step as terms - 2 step was used to describe a musical form more or less funky beats/floaty vocals - footwork goes back to tap dancing more or less to describe dancing feet- ie it's a general term for fancy footwork.

nnazem

yeah rare groove is what we called it - before my time but you know what i mean, exactly the same stuff as the jazz dance scene.

I think breakbeat to uk people now means something quite different from being into breaks etc though - it means this kinda of cheesy jank -

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

oops, i meant broken beat! my apologies. althougth the freestylers got me through high school and early college.

massrock

yep old jazz dancers used both footwork and 2 step as terms - 2 step was used to describe a musical form more or less funky beats/floaty vocals - footwork goes back to tap dancing more or less to describe dancing feet- ie it's a general term for fancy footwork.

yeah sure. what's striking is just how similar the moves there are, though less manic and not so much in a battle format. i suppose there's only so much can be done with feets. ;)

dave quam

"He worked at one of the best record shops in Chicago, Out of the Past"

Neema, its funny because me, the nguzus, and total freedom went to this shop when they were in town, and i found a traxman mix cdr on the ground. I talked to him on the phone like a week ago and he was tellin me he used to work there. That shop is fucking insane.

And yeah Traxman has such a big record collection, I talk free jazz with him hella. He told me his fav artist is Sun Ra.

continuum

smugpolice
please can someone post that link to the juke documentary video again that was posted last night. was lost in the server switch over

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
the bangs and works compilation really reminds me of Run the Roads, the early grime compilation, which is a really good thing