Change

Lichen

obama_oval_0121.jpg

He's the fucking president!

As soon as he can work out how to get an outside line, we're in business.

polystyle

This is big.
46 years ago Martin Luther King made his speech.
Now the 47 year old Obama is President.

J and Kanye rewrote lyrics for the occasion ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/arts/music/22conc.html

Re: That Stock market drop the other day. Yes, it happened on inaug day ,
pundits mentioned it for some hours - but it's been dropping like every other day as it is.
Possibly something to do with every large company laying off 5,000 workers and posting multi billion $ losses ...

The feeling in the city , across the country - everybody so happy and relieved.
A scene on the subway with kids on the train with attitude being told by a Grannie
' Stop fooling around, ... it's time to be Presidential' - and seeing them straighten right up.

Oh yeah, also his inclusion of 'nonbelievers' in his speech -
the 'non's' don't get alot of mention in inaug speeches or anywhere in high politico circles ...

On the 'Remake'
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/opinion/22kristof.html?hp

Like Erykah said in The Healer We're not dead yet ,we've been living on the internet' ...
'All the people say Reboot , Refresh, Restart ...'

No shit ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Guantanamo to close!

Obama said in a speech a couple of years ago he'd close Guantanamo, and today he's signed executive orders to that effect! :)

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/01/obama_close_guantanamo_within.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7845585.stm

But the Guardian has reservations about the proposed new court for trying national security cases:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/nov/11/barack-obama-guantanamo-bay

Any attempt to circumvent a judicial system designed to ensure a fair trial will be met with deserved scorn and would likely lead to additional delays as defendants challenge procedures designed specifically to relax evidentiary standards and restrict defence and public access to classified evidence. Furthermore, establishing a permanent court system created to ease the conviction of suspected terrorists would move the problem beyond Guantánamo. It is likely that only a handful of cases from Guantánamo are truly as difficult as some fear, but a national security court would exist forever and would likely prove an irresistible avenue for prosecutors eager to secure convictions.

Still, shutting that awful place down has to be a good thing in itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Re: That Stock market drop the other day. Yes, it happened on inaug day ,
pundits mentioned it for some hours - but it's been dropping like every other day as it is.
Possibly something to do with every large company laying off 5,000 workers and posting multi billion $ losses ..."
Yeah sorry, just joking/being a wanker.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Obama said in a speech a couple of years ago he'd close Guantanamo, and today he's signed executive orders to that effect! :)

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/01/obama_close_guantanamo_within.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7845585.stm

the executive orders also re-instituted the writ of habeas corpus. He wants to roll back all the Bush policies that violated constitutional law. These are all fundamental rights of personal autonomy/private property that are recognized by most countries. Guatanamo violated almost every human right on record (murder, rape, torture)

the economy won't turn around overnight, or even within six months. this isn't what the Obama campaign promised. new jobs are being created. that's all you can ask for at this point. some are forecasting at least 2-3 more years of recession.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
rape is common in those prisons, esp by the guards. and there are a few cases where detainees have been accidentally drowned during the waterboard torture. and guilty or not, they were arrested without just cause.

D

droid

The more things change...

Obama executive orders continue “extraordinary renditions,” secret CIA prisons

Analysis of the executive orders US President Barack Obama signed on January 22 shows that the Untied States will continue to be heavily involved in illegal practices including kidnapping, secret detention and torture. The orders ostensibly ended torture and a network of secret Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) prison camps.

The Los Angeles Times published a report on the executive orders, however, showing that they allow the continued use of "extraordinary rendition" by the CIA, whereby the US secretly abducts individuals it claims are terrorists, sending them to nations that practice torture. (See "Obama preserves renditions as counter-terrorism tool.")

President Obama 'orders Pakistan drone attacks'

Security officials said the strikes, which saw up to five missiles slam into houses in separate villages, killed seven "foreigners" - a term that usually means al-Qaeda - but locals also said that three children lost their lives.

vimothy

yurp
So, what is actually being preserved? Also, not outlawing something in principle does not necessarily mean it will take place -- is the CIA actively planning to continue renditions (whatever "renditions" now means)?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I imagine Major Flip-flop to be the most laid-back military officer in history. Right up there with Colonel Kiss-me-quick-hat and Wing Commander Bumbag, anyway.

heh-heh :)

Droid:

Security officials said the strikes, which saw up to five missiles slam into houses in separate villages, killed seven "foreigners" - a term that usually means al-Qaeda - but locals also said that three children lost their lives.

:(

as regards rendition, i was grateful to normblog, pointing us in the direction of
Both The Times and The Daily Telegraph today report that under the executive orders recently signed by President Barack Obama the CIA has retained 'its authority to carry out renditions'. They give as their source a column in yesterday's LA Times, which says, amongst other things:

[T]he Obama administration appears to have determined that the rendition program was one component of the Bush administration's war on terrorism that it could not afford to discard.

The decision underscores the fact that the battle with Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups is far from over and that even if the United States is shutting down the prisons, it is not done taking prisoners.

"Obviously you need to preserve some tools - you still have to go after the bad guys," said an Obama administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity when discussing the legal reasoning. "The legal advisors working on this looked at rendition. It is controversial in some circles and kicked up a big storm in Europe. But if done within certain parameters, it is an acceptable practice."

The worry here would be if Obama were backsliding from the undertaking not to ditch the nation's ideals in pursuit of its safety. Hilzoy, however, analyzes the relevant orders to show that they do not accommodate either the secret abduction and detention of suspects or their transfer to countries where they might be tortured; and that is a relief. Her analysis is here.

the piece by Hilzoy is here and there are some things that give me heart such as
So in addition to announcing that the administration will obey the Convention Against Torture, the administration will also study not whether to send detainees off to be tortured, but how to ensure that our policies are not intended to result in their torture, and will not result in their torture. This seems to me like a very clear renunciation of the policy of sending people to third countries to be tortured.

it's worth noting there are some valuable comments in both the Hilzoy piece and the piece Vim links to about HRW, in the cases of both articles both supporting and critically engaging with both authors.

i was glad to read - in the related HRW piece - there may finally be some good news for Saleh al-Marri, who has been treated appallingly inhumanely for the last six years
Another order creates an interagency task force to review detention and interrogation policies going forward. A fourth order mandates a review of the fate of Saleh al-Marri, a Qatari who was on the eve of trial for credit card fraud when he was declared an "enemy combatant" and transferred to a naval brig in South Carolina in 2003. He has been there ever since.

"At the end of the review period, we hope and expect that Obama will either return al-Marri to federal court or order his release," said Daskal.

that HRW press release from the 22nd January is here. Pleasingly, eight days later, they joined with the ACLU, Amnesty USA and Human Rights First in valuable Gitmo advocacy work.

we'll have to roll this thread to keep an eye on stuff.

Last edited:
D

droid

So, what is actually being preserved? Also, not outlawing something in principle does not necessarily mean it will take place -- is the CIA actively planning to continue renditions (whatever "renditions" now means)?

As I'm sure you know. Renditon is effectively the practise of kidnapping 'suspected terrorists' and transferring them to other countries to be tortured and imprisoned..

Whilst we don't know for sure if the practise will continue, the fact that it has not been explicitly curtailed would imply that this is the case. Also, according to the LA times:

Of course, renditions and targeted assassinations are of (at best) dubious legality under IL and American law and are only legitimate if you accept the fact that the US is has the right to attack anywhere it sees fit, or kidnap, detain and torture citizens of any country.

On the other hand:

...In his executive order on lawful interrogations, Obama created a task force to reexamine renditions to make sure that they "do not result in the transfer of individuals to other nations to face torture," or otherwise circumvent human rights laws and treaties...

Seeing as this is the entire point of renditions, it begs the question - if you want to prevent "the transfer of individuals to other nations to face torture," simply stop renditions.

D

droid

Security officials said the strikes, which saw up to five missiles slam into houses in separate villages, killed seven "foreigners" - a term that usually means al-Qaeda - but locals also said that three children lost their lives

Fascinating use of language there actually... that old passive 'actionless' voice. 7 'terrorists' were 'killed', but 3 children 'lost their lives'...

robin

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_02/016703.php

that hilzoy piece is very important,i was shocked/disgusted when i saw that la times piece but it seems to have been very misleading to say the least.

good analysis of the la times piece at the end of the hilzoy article

"
So what accounts for the LA Times' story? The Times cites "Current and former U.S. intelligence officials" in support of its thesis. I don't take the statements of former administration officials as evidence of anything in this regard, since they would not be privy to the Obama administration's thinking. Moreover, there have been a whole lot of "former administration officials" wandering around saying that once Obama got into office and saw how tough things really were, he would be forced to adopt their policies, only to discover that -- surprise, surprise! -- he doesn't. I don't see much reason to take their opinions as probative this time.

Obama officials, of course, are a different story: they would know, and they have no vested interest in believing that the previous administration's policies are somehow inevitable. The Times quotes only one official, who says: "The legal advisors working on this looked at rendition. (...) if done within certain parameters, it is an acceptable practice." It's important, here, to note that extraordinary rendition is not the same as rendition proper. Rendition is just moving people from one jurisdiction (in the cases at hand, one country) to another; includes all sorts of perfectly normal things, like extradition, which are not problematic legally. Extraordinary rendition is rendition outside these established legal processes: e.g., kidnapping someone abroad so that s/he can be brought to the US to stand trial, or delivering someone to another country to be tortured.

The author of the Times article, however, defines "rendition" as "secret abductions and transfers of prisoners to countries that cooperate with the United States." It's not clear whether he knows that rendition includes perfectly normal things like extradition. It's also not clear that he knows that extraordinary rendition includes not just cases in which we transfer a detainee to another country, but cases in which we capture someone abroad and take them to this country to be tried.

What is clear, however, is that Obama's executive order prohibits sending people off to other countries where there are substantial grounds to think that they will be tortured, and commits his administration not just to hoping that this will not happen, but to trying to figure out how to keep it from happening. I will continue to watch what the Obama administration does. If they backtrack on their commitment not to engage in extraordinary rendition, I will call them on it. But I don't think that this article provides evidence that they will."

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i'm also grateful to Vim for that link he posts as there is a follow up piece at same blog that deals with some issues brought up in conversation in a wide-ranging article, such as a notable European Parliament ruling from 2007.

it is a step in the right direction (sorry to quote a breakfast cereal ad :p ) purely in terms of the most egregious abuses associated with extraordinary rendition look set to cease, but still very problematic in terms of other abuses seem set to continue, namely oversights not being followed (if i am following everything correctly, and i agree with the DISSENTING JUSTICE writer on this).

in the final analysis, the final paragraph of the updated DISSENTING JUSTICE piece (available here) concludes in a clear-eyed fashion, and is very worthwhile, again, including some of the comments he attracts.

the writer of same blog also links to this Brookings piece, provocatively entitled Rendition: Reject the Abuses, Retain the Tactic.

Hilzoy has a few more questions up in a blog comment here, and is responded to below her comment.

vimothy

yurp
droid -- what I meant is, are the CIA going to continue (withold the ability) to practice "rendition", but not to send suspects to foreign states to be tortured? So, is rendition as it will be practiced under Obama going to be qualitatively different to rendition under Clinton and Bush (i.e. no outsourcing of torture)? Apologies if this has already been dealt with.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
droid -- what I meant is, are the CIA going to continue (withold the ability) to practice "rendition", but not to send suspects to foreign states to be tortured? So, is rendition as it will be practiced under Obama going to be qualitatively different to rendition under Clinton and Bush (i.e. no outsourcing of torture)? Apologies if this has already been dealt with.

it looks that way. as i say, a step in the right direction.

if you've not already Vim, really do read that Brookings piece. it's useful. it has some valuable points about extradition as it is (theoretically) available in certain states that do not have, perhaps, the most robust judiciaries.

i note the DISSENTING JUSTICE writer links to it without any overt editorialising, which i'm inferring to mean (given he's gloriously opinionated in other areas :D ) that he doesn't have too many problems with them.

there's every possibility i may be entirely wrong on that call, as i may be on everything ;)

Last edited: