wonky

petergunn

plywood violin
Ha, good question! Just "work music" as in "shit I need to write about to get paid." The Vex'd mix is actually great for working to -- except for all those "holy shit!" jump-out-of-your-chair moments that kinda break your concentration... :)

yeah, DLed last night, this mix is really something special...

BareBones

wheezy
If you could up that first Hyperdub Showcase (if you're talking about the Mary Ann Hobbes one), that'd be very much appreciated.

here y'are - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a5f5192527c1d28f7432d3c9683f450aed1478c3719b4cf1c95965eaa7bc68bc

a lot of the tunes featured have been released now, so you might have heard loads of it already, but it's still totally sweet.

tracklisting is:

Hyperdub Label Showcase:
Mixed By the Artists, Hosted By Spaceape, Sequenced By Kode 9

Darkstar
Darkstar Hyperdub Intro
Darkstar – ‘Annexe’
Starkey – ‘Miracles’ (Darkstar Remix)
Darkstar – ‘Squeeze My Lime’
Darkstar – ‘Digital’ (Hyperdub Edit)
Quarta 330 Vs DJ Mehdi – ‘Lucky Sunset Dub’
Darkstar – ‘Aidy's Girl Is A Computer’
Darkstar – ‘Need You VIP’
Darkstar – ‘Memory Bank’

Samiyam
Samiyam – ‘Scuba Gear’
Samiyam – ‘Taco Chaser’
Samiyam – ‘Horse Hair’
Samiyam – ‘Snake Cola (Rap Beats Vol.1)’
Samiyam – ‘Pressure’
Samiyam – ‘Pete's Birthday Extravaganza’
Samiyam - ‘Crystal Lake’
Samiyam – ‘Cloud Level’
Samiyam – ‘Oil Slick’
Samiyam – ‘Already’

Zomby
Zomby – ‘Nothing’
Zomby – ‘Aquafre5h’
Zomby – ‘Kaliko’
Zomby – ‘Test Me For A Reason’
Zomby – ‘Spaceman’
Zomby – ‘Gloop’
Zomby – ‘Spliff Dub’ (Rustie Remix)
Zomby – ‘Strange Fruit’

LV
Burning Spear – ‘The Invasion’ (LV Dub)
LV & Errol Bellot – ‘Don't Judge’
LV – ‘Oily Dub’
LV – ‘Face of God’ (Instrumental)
LV – ‘Takeover’ (Dub)
LV & Dandelion – ‘CCTV’
LV – ‘Twice’
LV – ‘Hasty’
LV – ‘Dream Cargo’ (LV remix)

Ikonika
Ikonikaplease *Tease*
Ikonika – ‘Millie’
Ikonika – ‘Girls’
Ikonika – ‘Smuck’
Ikonika – ‘Loser’
Ikonika – ‘Red Marker Pens’
Ikonika – ‘Direct’
Ikonika & Optimum – ‘Space Rock’

Quarta 330
Cardopusher – ‘Homeless’ (Quarta330 Remix)
Quarta 330 – ‘Asutata50’
Quarta 330 – ‘Underwater’
Quarta 330 – ‘Sabacco’
Quarta 330 – ‘Sunset Dub’

moolac

again, i feel a bit ashamed to bowing to posting in a 'wonky' thread but the Numbers. Hudson Mohawke show at Plastic People has now moved to Thursday 26th March

More info here

Gets a big "naaa!" from me. How is it that K suits both linear, clinical, stripped back minimal AND super-colourful, lopsided, fragmented wonky? surely the massive difference in the two scenes is enough to rubbish the theory. Sure, people listen to both on K but it's not a big enough factor to be considered part of wonky "culture" (whatever the fuck that is).

I could knock up an article on wonky being the result of the haziness and humour in the ganj buzz, or the ADD and disorientation that results from internet use, or the global confluence of underground electronic scenes melded through the web and free music for all, or cracked software available to thousands of kids with no musical training or any idea how to use it.... and get some "yeah man kinda makes sense like" reactions. but who the fuck knows really?

I think it's exciting and convenient to use drug metaphors when discussing electronic music, but there's millions of factors at play, K may be one of them but i think he's over-estimating it's importance.

Then again he does say "Of course, it could all be just rumour" so maybe i'm going a bit hard.

viktorvaughn

Never heard anyone refer to it as wonky. K, ket, regretamine, ketamino, etc.

I get the impression reading it he just thinks its a fun idea rather than actually being true. I agree with that - i see no harm in thinking about it whilst not believing it for a minute.

And like Shiels says above wonky is so different to dexter.

K i associate with dubstep, jungle, dnb, trance/hard techno and minimal.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Never heard anyone refer to it as wonky. K, ket, regretamine, ketamino, etc.

I get the impression reading it he just thinks its a fun idea rather than actually being true. I agree with that - i see no harm in thinking about it whilst not believing it for a minute.

And like Shiels says above wonky is so different to dexter.

K i associate with dubstep, jungle, dnb, trance/hard techno and minimal.

yeah not sure if there is any association really, zomby's famously a skunk head. All those los angeles guys obv are, flying lotus wrote something on his blog about dmt the other day.
cuturally as well, ketamine = minimal and wonky stuff sure as hell isn't minimal, it's almost in opposition to minimal so it's unlikely wonky people will adopt the minimal drug of choice.

Last edited:
How is it that K suits both linear, clinical, stripped back minimal AND super-colourful, lopsided, fragmented wonky?
I could knock up an article on wonky being the result of the haziness and humour in the ganj buzz, or the ADD and disorientation that results from internet use, or the global confluence of underground electronic scenes melded through the web and free music for all, or cracked software available to thousands of kids with no musical training or any idea how to use it....

Spot on. There's more relevance in Shiels short post than in Reynolds' well written yet quasi-tabloid (in significance) blog, which reeks of 'you read it here first' pandering.
"Ketamine.... Is this the drug that's feeding the wonky phenomenon?" Er, no Simon, it's not.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Seriously what is Reynolds going on about? When this guy is on, he's spot on, but when he's off he is way, way off.

I have never in my entire life heard anybody call ketamine "wonky". Maybe they were doing it at raves in 1992 - where a good part of Reynolds still lives.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Heh, saw the article this morning and was going to link/post about it, but various folks have got there already. I have a suspicion towards ketamine anyway, but the whole tone of the piece does seem decidedly fanciful.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Seriously what is Reynolds going on about? When this guy is on, he's spot on, but when he's off he is way, way off.

I have never in my entire life heard anybody call ketamine "wonky". Maybe they were doing it at raves in 1992 - where a good part of Reynolds still lives.

Careful now Sick Boy - you're now on course for a mildly angry response to this in about a month and half. ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This might just be my personal experience but when I'm on ketamine I want music which is massively repetitious, not all over the place restless stuff which will make me tip further towards complete insanity. Hence why minimal techno is such a good fit.

I think there are good points and descriptions as ever in the article, like others have said though I don't think there's any connection between most of the music being talked about and ketamine. I have heard people describing taking ketamine as 'getting wonky' but I don't think the word neccessarily has to carry over the same meaning when being applied to musical genres.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
he's not hit the target there at all, about 6-7 yrs ago you could say that the there was shit tekno associated with k at free parties. Nowt to do with this neu-wonky though. There's also wonky tekno which has some gems which again has a bit of a connection with K but that was years ago.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Has anyone ever really accounted for how and why ketamine became part of the dance scene in the first place? I mean, to me it seems as far away from a club/rave drug as you can get, so many people get such an insular, almost autistic experience from it.
Is it maybe just that crustie/squatter types have a long history of being into it, and they became a big presence in techno after the whole Spiral Tribe thing? Still though, if I was listening to bangin acid tekno, I don't think I'd want to be doing ketamine. With the newer minimal stuff I can see how it might work.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Yeah really, I've done K twice.

One time I lay on the floor for like 4 hours. The other time I got the fear.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like ketamine in a certain context i.e. sitting in a room with your mates listening to music, but whenever I've done it in a club I've just ended up feeling confused. But then, plenty of people want to get out of their heads on nights out. I've been to so many nights where people have been on so many pills that their eyes are rolling back in their heads. Personally I don't really want to be that fucked, even in the privacy of my own cellar.