Reynolds hardcore continuum event

DJ PIMP

music is starting to resemble the net more and more... a self-referential mesh of static nodes continually reforming and reconnecting. the accessibility and ahistoricism and so on is great.

it's entirely exciting to me...

swears

preppy-kei
music is starting to resemble the net more and more... a self-referential mesh of static nodes continually reforming and reconnecting. the accessibility and ahistoricism and so on is great.

it's entirely exciting to me...

Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about this. One one hand I like having access to loads of great mixes and nights out and tracks and info about it all, but on the other hand it would be exciting to have the same feeling of progress and "creative destruction" you had during the 90s. A new thing every six months and the old sounds being left behind or picked apart for sonic components. I barely remember this first hand, of course. I was about 16 when 2step broke.

craner

Beast of Burden
Unlimited accessibility, downloadable tracks, re-issues and mp3 blogs and other archivists, live-streaming online pirate radio stations and all sorts of endless digital radio stations and digital TV stations, the constant barrage of pop culture everywhere, a neverending, suffocating soundtrack to everything that happens at any time, apart from in the Gobi desert or Amazon rain forest or something (if you're not in a van) has effectively killed music. I mean don't you feel sick off it, glutted? No one ever looks forward to listening to music anymore because it's never switched off.

This is apart from the fact that pop music has turned out to be meaningless shorn of context and narrative (always both imposed and created as well as existent). I mean, even something as small and apparently unimportant as losing the concept of Side A and Side B of an album has been aesthetically debilitating. All the best music has been produced working against limitations, not without them. It's more than inertia, it's a terminal condition! I feel like I've been living without music for the last 8 years, precisely because I've been suffocated by it. I don't even like stuff I like anymore.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, jungle to me was not the massive future-shock rush that it would have been to someone ten years older at the time. Jungle and drum n bass to me were genres that had their own radio shows, were all over adverts, all over pop songs, and generally part of the sonic fabric of pop culture by the time I was about 14.

I found this quite startling, but of course it makes complete sense, jungle was assimilated into our aural background like lightning; it was normalised almost as soon as it spawned. Too young to notice its genesis, it would feel as normal as breathing. This made me feel quite old, but also lucky.

craner

Beast of Burden
I am a quite old school, though. I only started buying CDs about 5 years ago. I have never downloaded a piece of music in my life. I fetishise my record player.

crackerjack

Ijungle was assimilated into our aural background like lightning; it was normalised almost as soon as it spawned.

How so? I thought it took years - certainly to make it into adland (it had to get intelliigent first, dontchaknow?), though there are obviously other forms of assimilation.

craner

Beast of Burden
As far as I remember it started in 1995. For example, the music to The Sunday Show, a dreadful Channel 4 Word spin-off staring Katie Puckrick. Jungle breakbeats perfect for jingles.

crackerjack

As far as I remember it started in 1995. For example, the music to The Sunday Show, a dreadful Channel 4 Word spin-off staring Katie Puckrick. Jungle breakbeats perfect for jingles.

OK, that's about when I meant. We have different conceptions of "lightning" clearly

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Unlimited accessibility, downloadable tracks, re-issues and mp3 blogs and other archivists, live-streaming online pirate radio stations and all sorts of endless digital radio stations and digital TV stations, the constant barrage of pop culture everywhere, a neverending, suffocating soundtrack to everything that happens at any time, apart from in the Gobi desert or Amazon rain forest or something (if you're not in a van) has effectively killed music. I mean don't you feel sick off it, glutted? No one ever looks forward to listening to music anymore because it's never switched off.

This is apart from the fact that pop music has turned out to be meaningless shorn of context and narrative (always both imposed and created as well as existent). I mean, even something as small and apparently unimportant as losing the concept of Side A and Side B of an album has been aesthetically debilitating. All the best music has been produced working against limitations, not without them. It's more than inertia, it's a terminal condition! I feel like I've been living without music for the last 8 years, precisely because I've been suffocated by it. I don't even like stuff I like anymore.

I agree with a lot of this, or at least sympathise. Music can become something of a background hum, especially if you're obsessed with it... In the age of the shuffle, sometimes it seems like each piece of music is just another option to add to the playlist (or, if you're a nerd/'hipster', to the tick-list). I think listening to music (as well as making it) on a PC for so long has led me to associate it too much with visual media, its almost only when I listen to my mp3 player while I'm out and about that I really listen intently to things and hear them properly. I've found all this writing recently about the ways we listen to music very interesting...

The real events for someone who is bombarded by (or bombards themselves with) music constantly are surely gigs/raves. I've certainly found in recent years that its been going to club nights that has consistently given me a shot in the arm with regards to appreciating/loving music, or at least certain kinds of music. I don't really know if there's logic or wisdom in listening to dance music in front of a computer most of the time...

craner

Beast of Burden
OK, that's about when I meant. We have different conceptions of "lightning" clearly

I think hitting my 30s has completely warped my sense of time, crackerjack. One and a half years seems like lightning to me now.

craner

Beast of Burden
As well as, I suppose, the fact that hardly anything has changed in pop music since, say, 2003.