josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
The pretentiousness of pretentious crap - or what might be more accurately termed its "pretentionality" - is ultimately undecidable. Because of late capitalist patriarchy.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
The whole of Western thought, since the time of the first philosophers in ancient Greece, has been in the grip of a prejudice affecting all its aspects and even what seems self-evident. Philosophy has forgotten the question of pretentious crap...

vimothy

yurp
Indeed -- but I think what we are witnessing here is something that I -- if you'll pardon the conceit, we all have our talents, etc -- have called the return of the repressed: vital recrudescence and the final, longed for movement back through the layers of western hierarchical thought into the soul of archaic man and a moment of pure and immanent pretentionality...

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
In this sense, however, philosophy now gives way into a more originary thinking, which - taking full cognizance of the historial descent of pretentious crap, now allows for a overcoming of the techno-scientificization of man and summons the full hypridity of the properly pre-tentious forth.

vimothy

yurp
The fact that this development is occurring simultaneously with an opposite movment in the hardcore continuum -- also, tellingly, caused by late capitalism -- that, together, trace an asymptotic divergence from the axis of creative pretentionality is significant. Could it be that the closure of lines of flight in one particular sphere opens up, by necessity, other exits?

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
It seems that what Jameson has called the "seamless dyschronia of capitalist-realist ideology" is initiating a general project of a paradoxically apoiretic closure, as part of a ruling class effort to insist on the mantra: "There is no alternative" against the development of fully collective pretentional consciousness. This closure needs to be ruthlessly confronted by an engaged spectaculative-hauntological criticism, now confident enough to work with and alongside the pre-tentious, as precisely a strategy against it.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It's true this thread has always sucked, I mean it was one of Josef K's pussy sulk threads, we all knew it was going to suck.

But I'm missing the Nazi part, unless you mean to say someone was actually making a biological determinism argument, in which case

YEAH I WAS

because we are biologically determined

nomadthethird

Anybody who thinks I didn't "detect" Vimothy's oh-so-subtle "sarcasm" directed at me wins retard point misser of February.

If they can wrestle it away from Zhao.

nomadthethird

Haven't you tards [Vimothy, Josef] heard of the pomo generator or are you that far behind the rest of the world on everything?

Or the urban dictionary for that matter.

Jesus.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Swears, do yourself a favor.

Don't bother. Seriously it's just not worth it. You'll get carpal-tunnel before he starts making sense.

nomadthethird

The whole of Western thought, since the time of the first philosophers in ancient Greece, has been in the grip of a prejudice affecting all its aspects and even what seems self-evident. Philosophy has forgotten the question of pretentious crap...

Oh look Josef bought one of those "Best of Heidegger" books and tried to read up. How cute.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I've always enjoyed Agent's posts. Unlike some people, he reads source texts, can actually engage with the material in them and thinks through it instead of looking at Wikipedia and expecting that to be good enough.

thanks Jess :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahhahahahahahahahahaahh , who are you fking people? [etc.]

not sure how that's any different from saying a culture follows syntactical (or semiotic) rules, or any system for that matter. i mean, ultimately psychoanalysis is just two people talking to each other. if there's a problem (and a solution) it has to take the form of a signifier at some point.

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
It seems that what Jameson has called the "seamless dyschronia of capitalist-realist ideology" is initiating a general project of a paradoxically apoiretic closure, as part of a ruling class effort to insist on the mantra: "There is no alternative" against the development of fully collective pretentional consciousness. This closure needs to be ruthlessly confronted by an engaged spectaculative-hauntological criticism, now confident enough to work with and alongside the pre-tentious, as precisely a strategy against it.

all this sarcasm is pretentious crap! ;)

but really this debate has been run into the ground: academic writing is always going to be obtuse, whether it's philosophy or literary criticism or what have you.

nomadthethird

People constantly moaning about how pretentious everyone else is are protesting too much.

Next we'll have a "you're all homos" thread.

Meanwhile I keep forgetting to put my serious hat on when I'm online on message boards it keeps fucking up all these discussions.