Metal Machine Music

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

again, and this is the crucial point, what do those have to with Dissensus? don't you know that pretty much everyone here shares your disgust mainstream press & it's coverage of hip hop?

padraig (u.s.)

I don't hear anybody making a big noise about how "condescending" and "fake" Trainspotting's socio-economic issues were, do you? It was obviously a fictional yarn, so there are those elements, but the basic socio-economic problems are dealt with as a subtext rather well. I mean, maybe there were people who called this movie "fake", I don't remember any though...

you don't remember the upcry about at the time about how it glamorized "heroin chic"?

padraig (u.s.)

If you are a gangster rapper, it does not necessitate being a gangster (hence the oft-heard argument of who is "real"), and if you do happen to be one, it does not follow that everything you say in your songs is word-for-word autobiographical. This is OK though if it informs the message you are trying to get across. It's called "being an artist."

If this is not the case, and you're more on the autobiographical tip when you write songs, this is OK too (and preferred by some as this thread has shown).

sums up my position as well.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
what are you talking about? who said that there are "no ignorant people" in the UK? who is arguing for the infallibility of the mainstream press? you're one who keeps tossing around the claims about "British people" as one monolithic whole.

also, who are these mythical "a lot of foreigners" who wrongly think they know everything about American culture? again, please, something that doesn't just broadly indict a vast, extremely tenuously defined group.

who's yelling at you? we don't "all know" anything so please refrain from claiming such nonsense.

Of course British people are not a monolith. Are you in fifth grade? That's not what's being discussed here.

You can continue to miss the point, however, since that seems to be your forte.

The "mythical" lot of foreigners can be easily found with one quick google search.

I see you've not read any of the links, including the original one. Because that would be too much like actually listening to someone's points instead of having a hysterical reaction to them.

nomadthethird

??? if anything Britain is criticized more harshly on Dissensus.

No, it isn't. I'm constantly hearing off-the-cuff complete slaggings off of America, but I mention ONE thing that I dislike about the British press, and it's a big deal for some reason.

It is offensive to make the claim that inner-city poverty, and the problems that come on its heels, as described very vividly in hip-hop, is not based in reality but is "fake".

Is it not? Are you actually trying to argue with this point? If so, are you nuts?

nomadthethird

Those were just a few cursory bits, that didn't include any blogs, which is where the real fun is!

Let me know when you're done with the trad media links and I'll go through the blogs.

mms

sometimes
my mum used to live next to a guy who used to play that cash in song ' missing you' that puffy and faith evans did when old asthma chops caught one, it was the instrumental he used to play, endlessly looping, looping endlessly, saying nothing, just the instrumental framework of the track for nights on end, loud. I went round there as it was getting on my nerves and the guy opened the door and he was tripping hard to it, which seemed odd to me. Top of the charts that song was wasn't it? weeks on end, it seemed endless at the time.
I wonder if biggie liked italo disco?

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

It is offensive to make the claim that inner-city poverty, and the problems that come on its heels, as described very vividly in hip-hop, is not based in reality but is "fake".

Is it not? Are you actually trying to argue with this point? If so, are you nuts?

for the final time, there is a gulf of difference between A) the claim that inner-city poverty as described in hip hop is fake and B) the claim that the artists who take the raw facts of that poverty and its attendant miseries and use them to make art may not have experienced and/or done all of the things that they talk about in their art.

no frankly I haven't read any of your links & I'm not going to. I'm sure that they (shockingly) prove that the mainstream British press, much like its American counterpart, is totally & utterly clueless when it comes to hip hop. somehow you've extrapolated from this that all British people (well "a lot of" foreigners according to you but esp. the British) are clueless when it comes to hip hop as well as drugs, poverty & general inner city pressure.

I'm done with this. doubtless you'll want to get a last word or ten in.

nomadthethird

for the final time, there is a gulf of difference between A) the claim that inner-city poverty as described in hip hop is fake and B) the claim that the artists who take the raw facts of that poverty and its attendant miseries and use them to make art may not have experienced and/or done all of the things that they talk about in their art.

no frankly I haven't read any of your links & I'm not going to. I'm sure that they (shockingly) prove that the mainstream British press, much like its American counterpart, is totally & utterly clueless when it comes to hip hop. somehow you've extrapolated from this that all British people (well "a lot of" foreigners according to you but esp. the British) are clueless when it comes to hip hop as well as drugs, poverty & general inner city pressure.

I'm done with this. doubtless you'll want to get a last word or ten in.

I wonder if MMS is a douchebag?

Padraig, go ahead and get all ridiculous about something I never said and never would say, that makes no sense.

And yeah, don't read the links that prove my point exactly to the nth degree. That would be too much like conceding the point.