Metal Machine Music

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
If you're so above caring, why continue to post in this thread? You could always just move on and leave it alone.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I WAS NEVER TALKING ABOUT DISSENSUS. Can you read?

People here are always acting like that.

So by "here" you didn't mean "on this internet forum", you actually meant "in the UK", despite the fact that you're not "here" at all, but are in fact over "there"?

Look, just let it drop, huh? Your initial rant was quite clearly aimed at people on here (and if it wasn't, you have to admit that it certainly LOOKED like that) - then you shifted the blame onto some nebulous 'blogs', then onto the mainstream British press. As if anyone here is going to defend some snivelling tossrag like the Daily Mail or the Metro! Even the Guardian comes in for a slagging-off more often than not when it's discussed on here, and you'll find people criticising the BBC as well as championing it (see the 'Isreal/Palestine' thread for recent proof of this).

I think the fact even your fellow countryman padraig can't make head or tail of your arguments is very telling...

Last edited:

nomadthethird

So by "here" you didn't mean "on this internet forum", you actually meant "in the UK", despite the fact that you're not "here" at all, but are in fact over "there"?

Look, just let it drop, huh? Your initial rant was quite clearly aimed at people on here (and if it wasn't, you have to admit that it certainly LOOKED like that) - then you shifted the blame onto some nebulous 'blogs', then onto the mainstream British press. As if anyone here is going to defend some snivelling tossrag like the Daily Mail or the Metro! Even the Guardian comes in for a slagging-off most of the time it's mentioned on here, and you'll find people criticising the BBC as often as championing it (see the 'Isreal/Palestine' thread for recent proof of this).

I think the fact even your fellow countryman padraig can't make head or tail of your arguments is very telling...

I *have* heard statements like this one:

"Hip-hop is so lame, it's just a bunch of white people getting off on black men acting rude"

On here. In fact, Gabba Flamenco Crossover is the one who said that, if you want to look it up. Sick Boy proffered the same tired point about the life of Biggie Smalls that I've seen tossed around the mainstream British press for years. In fact, the Guardian has a feature that is being discussed in another thread right now on this exact topic!

I've already posted examples galore of the places I've read this in the mainstream British press when I was asked to do this. I came up with 23 out of the top four British newspapers and that barely scratched the surface. Are you really going to try to pretend that what I am saying is unfounded?

Personally, I find statements like the ones discussed above very offensive. Maybe you will never understand why.

But as far as burden of proof goes, I'll go through Dissensus and round up all of the comments I can remember along these lines, if you'd like.

nomadthethird

I find it utterly hilarious that even still, with all of these links to flagrantly racist coverage of hip-hop as a "source" of violence in the U.K. press emblazened on this thread and elsewhere, no one will admit that yes, this is something that has been a topic in British papers and op-ed pieces for some time.

nomadthethird

As someone else already pointed out, Kpunk is squarely in the "hip-hop is bad" corner. There's another Dissensus presence that has made similar claims to the ones I've found in this British newspapers. He takes a more structural approach, but still, I disagree entirely with his opinions regarding hip-hop and its effects on culture.

nomadthethird

So you were, after all, talking about Dissensus?

No, I wasn't. I was initially responding to what I thought was an off-base parroting of the mainstream British press on the part of Sick Boy.

But if you want examples from Dissensus of these claims being made directly about hip-hop, or similar attitudes being espoused, they exist and I will gladly point them out for you.

nomadthethird

So what'll it be? Will we admit that yes, some people who happen to live in Britain and who write for British papers have this attitude about hip-hop, as do some posters here (apparently, based on their comments here in the past)?

Or will we continue to pretend that this is some sort of strange thing to bring up in the context of this latest Biggie biopic?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
fun facts:

- it was reissued a couple of years ago...in remastered form! what a joke.

- the reissue was done as a limited-edition. numbered series. i know a guy who worked on the project at bmg and he had the printer print up about 10 copies of issue #00001, so that lou and a few industry people/collector nerds (including himself) could claim to have the first one. lesson: never trust a limited-edition numbered series to be true.

i find Leo's lesson fascinating.

this is going to sound naive, but i never knew that!

swears

preppy-kei
As someone else already pointed out, Kpunk is squarely in the "hip-hop is bad" corner. There's another Dissensus presence that has made similar claims to the ones I've found in this British newspapers. He takes a more structural approach, but still, I disagree entirely with his opinions regarding hip-hop and its effects on culture.

I think Kpunk's argument against hip hop was that it had become an all encompassing social phenomenon that was no longer vital and rebellious but had in fact turned into a new mainstream, in the same way rock 'n' roll had years previously. I don't think his argument had anything to do with claiming that it caused violence or damaged communities or whatever. I think he was just bored with it, in the same way he was bored with indie.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think Kpunk's argument against hip hop was that it had become an all encompassing social phenomenon that was no longer vital and rebellious but had in fact turned into a new mainstream, in the same way rock 'n' roll had years previously.

Well yeah, every decent-sized HMV/Virgin/Our Price has its own urban music section, and some of the bigger ones even have a separate bit for grime and dubstep. Have had for some years, in fact. No doubt there are still artists who are 'keeping it real', but the genre as a whole has been massive on a global scale for ages now. Isn't it meant to be the world's biggest-selling kind of music?

I don't think his argument had anything to do with claiming that it caused violence or damaged communities or whatever.

And even if he was, that would not, by itself, make him a racist - though clearly there are some people who hold that attitude primarily on a racial basis. I daresay if you looked hard enough you might even find some black people who aren't unfailingly 100% pro-hip-hop.

Last edited: