Things I Believe In

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Zizek's intro is basically a rebuttal re Althusser, ie "ideological fantasy" has replaced false consciousness, reification, etc. This is pretty elementary, and I won't respond to any further responses/questions. have a good week.

vimothy

yurp
So we have come back round to the beginning: what does it mean to believe something? What does it mean to mean something?

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
“The Mind's narcissism,” notes Debray, in the course of a stinging critique of the sign-scavenging Semiotic method (demonstrated by Baudrillard) “is the corporate penchant of intellectuals.1”

“A tempting dream, this: to produce the metalanguage of all languages, and re-beget every event by producing its law of begetting. The world is garbled speech, but I who know its codes shall give ti back transparence. The “meta-level” becomes the one transforms into “objects,” and thus into lower-stage, all the other levels.” In the course of critiquing the consumerist conversion of all bodies to signs, Baudrillard is... converting all bodies to signs.

Whoever accedes to it is transformed into a cultural Grand Subject. Since this novel, this thriller, this poem declines (as one possible version among many others) into a generative model whose keys I possess, I become its master at a critical distance, at the very least its equal in inventiveness. The encoding on all fronts of the manifestations of human genius – with the translations and passings it authorized from one to the other – places the Decode at the upper reaches of the sources of meaning and makes him into the author of authors, a creator to the second power. To “semioticize” a text, a film, a commercial poster, a program is in some sense to turn them into satellites. The critic turns sunlike, pulling works and products one by one from his deconstructable disourse as if out of a hat containing a thousand secrets.2

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
yeah but i can already tell this debate is going nowhere, or will only take the form of non-sequitters, and we'll just keep covering the same ground. i'd rather go back to the original question. not so much defeatist as i have a headache and i hate retreading.

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Also I find some of the terminology baffling... but then I'm not well versed in this type of critical theory or whatever. Can you dumb it down at all for us ignorant types?

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
what is the Decode?

that was quite good actually, i really enjoyed that. post more stuff like that man, heh

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I'm not looking for an argument. But your attitude here seems wholly defeatist. I don't really understand what it is that you are driving at. In order to have a debate surely you need to engage with people and explain and discuss your ideas rather than just make pronouncements. Seriously, answering questions is part of the process...

i don't mind answering questions, but yeah but i can already tell this debate is going nowhere, or will only take the form of non-sequitters, and we'll just keep covering the same ground. i'd rather go back to the original question. not so much defeatist as i have a headache and i hate retreading.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
That is Regis Debray. I have lots of that stuff.

The Decode - I think I transcribed it wrong. Let me check. I think probably "the decoder"

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
my answer, via Zizek, is wrong imo actually, i never agreed with that and I argued for 20 minutes with Kocela about Zizek's definition of jouissance, which to me has nothing in common with Lacan's meaning of a direct/traumatic encounter with the real.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Also I find some of the terminology baffling... but then I'm not well versed in this type of critical theory or whatever. Can you dumb it down at all for us ignorant types?

hmm i'll have to look for some definitions. this is mostly jargon, i agree, and right now the posts are in mixed order, so this is going to look kind of meaningless.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i enjoy the randomized noise inserted into the order here, kind of fitting actually

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Zizek's intro is basically a rebuttal re Althusser, ie "ideological fantasy" has replaced false consciousness, reification, etc. This is pretty elementary, and I won't respond to any further responses/questions. have a good week.

I'm not looking for an argument. But your attitude here seems wholly defeatist. I don't really understand what it is that you are driving at. In order to have a debate surely you need to engage with people and explain and discuss your ideas rather than just make pronouncements. Seriously, answering questions is part of the process...