your favorite junglist auteur

your favorite junglist auter?

• 4 Hero (also Tom & Jerry, Manix, Tek 9, etc)

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Andy C/Ant Miles (all the RAMM stuff)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • DJ Crystl

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • DJ Hype/Ganja Kru (repping ~95-97 gangstadelic hardstep)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • DJ SS/Formation

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Foul Play (incl. Steve Gurley's solo work)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Goldie/Rob Playford

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • A Guy Called Gerald

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No U-Turn cru (Rush/Optical/Trace/DJ Gunshot)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Omni Trio

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Photek (Aquarius, The Sentinel, Studio Pressure, etc.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Remarc

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Roni Size/Bristol cru

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Skanna

• Basement Records (Wells brothers)

• Total voters

mixed_biscuits

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not a jungle tune but surely worth posting

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Andy, Ganja Man / Studio One Lik

are both classics:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oh yeah, Studio 1 Lik is on the second part of the Soundmurderer mix now I think about it. It's good, but it's at that stage where I'm usually lost in the crazy flow of the fix and don't pick out individual tracks.

Now would be a good time to say my official thanks to you and Droid for all the weareie and Soundmurderer/Violent Turd mixes. I've been listening to them a hell of a lot over the last few weeks. Can't hink of many insightful comments on them right now, other than that they're great. :D

D

droid

The Hype remix of Ganjaman... :cool: he had the ability to take an amazing tune and make it even better. Its the same deal with RIP and Touch My toes...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I prefer the orignal of RIP, as it goes.
This is a matter of the uptmost importance of course. Nothing short of a duel by pistols at dawn will settle it. ;)

D

droid

I prefer the orignal of RIP, as it goes.
This is a matter of the uptmost importance of course. Nothing short of a duel by pistols at dawn will settle it. ;)

Pffst! How dare you sir!

I'll give you one chance to recant:

Boring old original:

Mindblowing remix:

:D

loof

talking about krome and time remixes/that soundmurder violent turd mix, does anyone know who did the license remix on there?

this is kind of a nerdy jungle thread, but it IS dissensus.com. heh.

So....

Not even one mention of Jonny L.

Come on dissensus. You're letting me down. Tsk tsk.

Jonny L - The Anasphone (XL) circa'93. I've been a fan since. Dude has always turned shit out, and still does. Sooo much to say about the tunes he's put out, the albums. And yeah, one of the "originals" no doubt.

Jonny L.. come on people.

Dissensus, where's yer head at? :)

as awesome as jonny l is, afaik he only really did that one jungle cut, i'm leaving/i want you/sam/more life (which is amazing tbf). his hardcore stuff (tho great) is about as un-jungley as hardcore from the golden era can be.

i'd be more than willing to be proved wrong about jonny l as a junglist, cos that one record is awesome. mad to think he ended up producing s club! call me an idiot but i still rate the fact he worked an amen into that victoria beckham track "out of your mind"

i've already mentioned it but i really think dom's jungle output is amazing. this is awesome -

this too -

this one might be considered by some to be a tad on the techy side, but it's still an amen workout from 95, so it counts -

he's also an uncredited engineer on a number of techstep classics like the skylab ep and subway (both ed rush) as well as mutant revisted and sniper (trace). as unfashionable as it may be, i actually really like a lot his work from dnb's dreaded post 97 era. i also really liked deckard's theme from a little while ago, tho i'll grant you it's not a massive evolutionary leap from mechanics.

Last edited:

dave

the day today tonight
What do people make of Digital (the producer)? He's been around for ages, he's always been making tunes, I've heard very few of them but a couple - Far Out and Special Mission, the first tunes on the Metalheadz Boxset, and Lower Depths/Sub Zero, engineered by Photek and I think the only tunes on Photek's label that weren't his own - are really nice, really nice vibes. Any more tune recommendations? I've listened to some of the later stuff on youtube (Natty Dread, Deadline, etc) and wasn't really interested. And what was his place in the scene?
i love digital's stuff so much i convinced some friends to help me make a discog about him just so I could find out all the stuff i was missing (lowerdepths.com - discogs stuff gone now though).

i dunno what to recommend though, especially since you weren't into natty dread.. that's one of my faves... the production is so shit, the vocal is all buried, the breakdown is catchy as all hell, and the snare is a half stepper and as dull as anything. whats more this came out in 2000 when everything was sharp and crisp and techy and boring.

anyway, i have no idea what his place in jungle history is though. he's not old school enough, right?!?

rivet90210

So that's your website!

Well, i know he's got some 95ish releases as 'Natural Mystic'. I quite like them. And there is Space Funk under the name SOS, which is a split release with Photek. I think it's right to count him as being a bit later on in the scheme of things. He joined the Reinforced ranks for their 2nd wave too, proof enough of this i would guess.

Tex-97 is his best imo. Written in 97, released in about 2000. I think this was meant to come out on one of photeks labels at one stage...? Ended up on Function in the end.

loof

anyway, i have no idea what his place in jungle history is though. he's not old school enough, right?!?

released in 95, tho i'm guessing it was written in 94, one of my faves by digital, engineered by photek.

down under on the first platinum breakz was quite good too (96). he's only really done a handful of tunes in the classic jungle style and touch me is the only one that's outstanding imho, tho i haven't heard the natural mystic stuff. to his credit, he's one of the few that continued the jungle vibe through his work in dnb's dark days (he's released a fair few tech numbers that are really crap tho).

Last edited:

loof

he's only really done a handful of tunes in the classic jungle style QUOTE]

oof, turns out i was wrong

the natural mystic stuff sounds pretty good

dave

the day today tonight
yeah, pretty much all his early stuff, whatever the alias (digital, natural mystic, d4,...), was in "classic jungle style"

loof

yeah, pretty much all his early stuff, whatever the alias (digital, natural mystic, d4,...), was in "classic jungle style"

yeah i knew about the d4 stuff but not the natural mystic stuff. i've got one record under the s.o.s. alias (waiting remix) that is a bit weak. cheers for the heads up on natural mystic, i like what i've heard so far.

i thought i had a fair bit of digital's discography but there are evidently still considerable holes. i thought he only had like maybe less than eight straight jungle records before he started moving away from that sound and a lot of those are pretty unremarkable. out of the early digital i've got i only ever really caned touch me, which i really like. tunes like mystery and two faced are a bit average. after the natural mystic revelation, i'd be more than happy to be proved wrong again.

i used to listen to digital a fair bit alongside breakage, equinox and other drumfunky stuff in the early/mid 00's and have actually got fairly fond memories of a fair bit of dnb from that era. there were a few people who were keeping the spirit of jungle alive during a pretty rough period. i really rated almost everything breakage did up until the "this too shall pass" lp, i remember it sucking really really hard, a proper disappointment.

apart from the obviously huge acid rain remixes breakage did, i really liked prophecy, ask me and dubby rollers like 4 me. i remember liking the disco 45 vip with naphta when it came out, rolling along with those weird rave-y pitch-bent pads.

equinox deserves some kind of special award for services to jungle.

did this with bizzy b at the age of 16! the vip's due on the new bizzy b comp and it's even better

signature tune, heavy -

large