your favorite junglist auteur

your favorite junglist auter?

• 4 Hero (also Tom & Jerry, Manix, Tek 9, etc)

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Andy C/Ant Miles (all the RAMM stuff)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • DJ Crystl

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • DJ Hype/Ganja Kru (repping ~95-97 gangstadelic hardstep)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • DJ SS/Formation

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Foul Play (incl. Steve Gurley's solo work)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Goldie/Rob Playford

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • A Guy Called Gerald

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No U-Turn cru (Rush/Optical/Trace/DJ Gunshot)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Omni Trio

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Photek (Aquarius, The Sentinel, Studio Pressure, etc.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Remarc

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Roni Size/Bristol cru

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Skanna

• Basement Records (Wells brothers)

• Total voters

nomos

Administrator
mystery solved after a dozen years :) thanks.

kind of you to offer droid. thank you. i'm not sure it would get played much at this point but i'll keep it in mind.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Mix of ambient jungle done by Woebot for FACT:
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2896&Itemid=98
Only available for 3 weeks apparently.
Tracklisting:
FBD Project: She's So (FBD)
Code Blue: Angels in Dub (Dee Jay)
Plasmic Life: Water Baby (Brain)
Essence of Aura: Northern Lights (Moving Shadow)
Jazz Vibes: Lucky (Strictly Underground)
Jodeci: Feenin (LTJ Bukem Remix) (WEA)
Complex State: Revival (Face)
DJ Krust: Touch (Full Cycle)
DJ Flynn & DJ Flora: Jungle Love (Full Cycle)
The Invisible Man: The Bell Tune (Good Looking)
Danny Breaks: Rollin' (EZ Rollers Remix) (Droppin' Science)
D'Cruze: Lonely (Suburban Base)
Roni Size, DJ Krust &DJ Die: I Remember (Full Cycle)

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
I put down Goldie/Playford because they really were so far beyond everyone else. Thanks for the interview link, looks very interesting.

That "crow" sound in "Saint Angel" and the breakbeat there - an Apache edit? - never heard it anywhere else, with the subtle sub-bass drops. The darkest track ever. All that lovely vocal stuff like "Kemistry" and "Inner City Life" - can't think of any other jungle tracks with original vocals that were anywhere near as good. The strings on "Jah" - heart wrenching. The two Metalheads EP's on Hardcore Vinyl Phonography are in my desert island discs for sure.

Though Crystl produced my favorite jungle track - "Warpdrive" - his output is a bit thin. Nothing else quite as good. 4 Hero was also close for "Journey Toward The Light" and "Golden Age" (a very nice Detroit techno track on that one) and the Manix stuff. But I am not really familiar with their later work and they released a bunch of stuff I don't care for like the early Reinforced EP's or all the Tek 9 stuff.

Photek is another one that I think would be a contender for me if I was only more familiar with his work. I love the early stuff but I feel like he probably reached his peak around "Ni Ten Ichi Ryu". Haven't heard it in nearly a decade though so don't know how I'd feel about it now.

The real decision was with Roni Size. His stuff around '94 is just so far out there. "Timestrech" and "All The Crew Big Up" take chopped up break to another level. Not just rearranging bits of the Amen break but taking tiny slices of who knows what and weaving them into a bizarre texture which barely suggests drums at all. These records have a warm, funk kind of feeling that is very original. He was hugely prolific and I am only familiar with a very few things but they left an impression. "Kiss" is a good one too. It occurs to me that "Brown Paper Bag" was one of the first encounters I had with drum'n'bass - it was even on MTV in primetime.

franz

that woebot mix is great.

any other mixes people can recommend along similar lines?
especially on the ambient-ish tip.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
that woebot mix is great.

any other mixes people can recommend along similar lines?
especially on the ambient-ish tip.

You got those wearie mixes mentioned upthread franz? Not all strictly ambient but cover a lot of similar territory. Great anyway. :D

Have to put in a vote for Krust as his own man.
Music Box, Jazz Note, Soul in Motion & Warhead...nuff said.

Also I haven't seen Hidden Agenda mentioned....

As far as jungle/ragga etc I am going to have to put in a plug for the Kemet Crew. Monster bass, live vocals & really interesting sample sources...as well interesting chopping of breaks etc.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Have to put in a vote for Krust as his own man.
Music Box, Jazz Note, Soul in Motion & Warhead...nuff said.

As far as jungle/ragga etc I am going to have to put in a plug for the Kemet Crew. Monster bass, live vocals & really interesting sample sources...as well interesting chopping of breaks etc.

welcome.

who are this krust, kemet crew and hidden agenda of which you speak?

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
vote for Krust as his own man.

well, if you'll flip back to page 1 you'll see a long list, much longer than the actual poll, of names who didn't make the cut. unfortunately you can only include 15. Krust is definitely deserving (tho the shiteness of his later output kinda dilutes his case).

Kemet Crew is great, no doubt - well repped by Remarc tho & most of the other big Kemet names (Lewi Cifer, Missing, etc.) had really sparse output, like 2-3 tracks apiece. the Noise Factory dudes were tied in w/Kemet too, especially Family of Intelligence (aka the dude that isn't Terry Tee). but yeah that whole Kemet/3rd Party/etc. scene - Potential Bad Boy's another one - was tops, especially the fantastic Kemet Crew LP. Droid would beg to differ but I don't need no junglist dads givin' me guff*...

but Hidden Agenda nah - I mean alright they have a couple cracking tunes, the Dispatches 12" really does the business & anyone who samples Get Carter wins points from me. but strictly B-Team, yeah? even just in comparison to the rest of the early Metalheadz lineup.

*nah just kidding man you're like 1000x the junglist I am

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also glad someone finally voted for DJ SS & Formation - seriously, they just kiiiillled it in '95, this has been in heavy rotation lately, what a gem of a record. ditto for Basement Records (jungle tekno!!!) & fitness instructor like Crystl. bit surprised to see Photek sitting in 3rd, reckon it's the younguns (e.g. people ~my own age).

& lastly glad this thread is still paying dividends. hella fun it was.

Woebot's mix is aces for anyone who hasn't heard it.

franz

yeh i've dug this thread. i was into d&b (pretty much in isolation as none of my friends were into it, nor was i old enough to even go to clubs) in the late late 90s, early oughts... (garbage time is all i ever hear about said era here, but i'd still comp for some of the Marcus Intalex productions i loved at the time, among other things) so there are big gaping holes in my jungle knowledge that i'm trying to go back and fill in.

i did indeed grab those weareie mixes... and i've been trying to track down others... but let me request again: any guidance as to what good mixes i might be able to track down still? my goto mix for years (whenever i wanted to go back on the sound) has been a Doc Scott mix http://www.discogs.com/Various-Lost-In-Drum-N-Bass/release/266560 which i guess originally came out in 96... def would like to track down a few more in that vein... it's been great hearing Crystl because i honestly don't think i ever had before... i grabbed this Counterforce mix from Goldie that features a bunch of his tracks but i wonder if there are maybe some others to be found? or places where i could spot Rogue Unit or 4hero tunes in full flight?

etc. etc.

out to everyone for being a pack of savants.

luka

why not just get mixes of the time. they are always miles better than the shitty retrospective ones, like the corny soundmurderer stuff or whtever. steerr well clear of all that. get old kool fm sets and recording from raves/ theyre not one bit hard to find.

well, if you'll flip back to page 1 you'll see a long list, much longer than the actual poll, of names who didn't make the cut. unfortunately you can only include 15. Krust is definitely deserving (tho the shiteness of his later output kinda dilutes his case).

haha

Kemet Crew is great, no doubt - well repped by Remarc tho & most of the other big Kemet names (Lewi Cifer, Missing, etc.) had really sparse output, like 2-3 tracks apiece. the Noise Factory dudes were tied in w/Kemet too, especially Family of Intelligence (aka the dude that isn't Terry Tee). but yeah that whole Kemet/3rd Party/etc. scene - Potential Bad Boy's another one - was tops, especially the fantastic Kemet Crew LP. Droid would beg to differ but I don't need no junglist dads givin' me guff*...

I didn't realize Remarc was part of that crew....

*nah just kidding man you're like 1000x the junglist I am

:p

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
why not just get mixes of the time. they are always miles better than the shitty retrospective ones, like the corny soundmurderer stuff or whtever. steerr well clear of all that.

Fail fail fail. :p

(I don't doubt that there are some great Kool FM tapes out there, however).

rivet90210

damn, that site is good. cheers for that!
some ridiculous interviews -if you can even call them that.

anyone taken to this 1 in the jungle show: 11.08.95 - Kenny Ken [MC GQ] ?
I would kill for some knowledgeable person to come with a a tracklist:D I've got a few, but the tracks at the end.... no idea, def recognize a few though.

D

droid

Kenny Ken [MC GQ] 10.08.95
[00:15] ??? [Unknown]
[02:31] ??? [Unknown]
[05:40] H.M.P. - Runnin's [Frontline]
[09:01] DJ Krust - Set Speed [V]
[11:15] ??? [Unknown]
[14:03] ??? [Unknown]
[17:47] ??? [Unknown]
[20:52] Shy FX - This Style [S.O.U.R.]
[24:58] ??? [Unknown]

**Top Ten Countdown**:

10/ Fallen Angels - Taken Over/Frequency (Tango Remix) [Creative Wax]
09/ Desired State - Goes Around/Here & Now [Ram]
08/ H.M.P. - Runnin's/Lifa's Mix [Frontline]
07/ Aquasky - Dezires/Images [Moving Shadow]
06/ DJ Dextrous - Wanted (Dead Or Alive)/Pure Sex [Subversive]
05/ T-Power & MK Ultra - Turquoise/Mutant Jazz (Rollers Instinct Remix) [S.O.U.R.]
04/ Rude Bwoy Monty - Warp 9 Mr. Zulu/Summer Sumting [Frontline]
03/ Photek - The Seventh Samurai/Complex [Photek Productions]
02/ Adam F - Lighter Style/Burning Deep [Section 5]
[27:30] 01/ Alex Reece - Pulp Fiction/Chill Pill [Metalheadz] Played: Pulp Fiction

**Kenny Ken continues:

[30:03] Mikey James - Do You Dream? [Suburban Base]
[34:17] Aladdin - Mash Up Yer Know [Aladdin]
[39:09] Roni Size - Timestretch (Origin Unknown '95 Re-Lick) [V]
[42:46] ??? [Unknown]
[46:41] Rude & Deadly Vs. Da Dogz - Give Me A Dub [No Smoking]
[49:45] The Terrorist - Sing Time (Remix - Part 2, Dubplate Version) [Unreleased]
[51:44] DJ Hype & Ganja Max - Pum Pum Mus Smoke Ganja [Ganja]
[54:35] Urban Shakedown ft. D.BO General - Some Justice '95 (Kenny Ken V.I.P.) [Unreleased]
[57:23] Asend - Can't Play Bass [Second Movement]