Journalistic Standards

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't think he'll get away with it so easily though - as many people hate him as like him I reckon even on the left. Was looking at comments on a load of places yesterday and lots of people were saying that the Indie would lose any credibility (ha!) if it didn't fire him good and proper. I think that once you've lost people's trust then it's hard to get it back. To pretend that it was because he didn't know right from wrong and be corrected by going to journalism school is laughable.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
ffs

The UK Labour party's conference is underway in Liverpool, and party bigwigs are presenting their proposals for reinvigorating Labour after its crushing defeat in the last election. The stupidest of these proposals to date will be presented today, when Ivan Lewis, the shadow culture secretary, will propose a licensing scheme for journalists through a professional body that will have the power to forbid people who breach its code of conduct from doing journalism in the future.

http://boingboing.net/2011/09/27/uk...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=36761

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I still don't see how it can be remotely legal to trick someone into committing a crime they wouldn't otherwise have committed. It's bad enough when the feds do it to catch someone they're already after, but when it's journalists doing to create a "story" from nothing - how can that be allowed?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't understand that article though. Someone tricked her into thinking she would be in a Bollywood film and The Sun tricked her into setting up a coke deal - Greenslade is inferring and implying that the Bollywood thing was part of getting her to lower her guard and agree to the coke deal but on what evidence? Is it just because there seems no other possible reason for the Bollywood thing - why spend that much time and effort just to piss someone off?
Regardless of whether or not the two are connected the fake Bollywood deal is an absolutely horrible thing to do to someone.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, between this and the sex video thing this poor girl is surely going to have trouble trusting anyone ever again.

crackerjack

I don't understand that article though. Someone tricked her into thinking she would be in a Bollywood film and The Sun tricked her into setting up a coke deal - Greenslade is inferring and implying that the Bollywood thing was part of getting her to lower her guard and agree to the coke deal but on what evidence?

Reading between the lines, I'd say the Sunday Mirror aren't prepared to name the Sun in their story – tabloids generally don't snitch each other up like that – but he's spoken to someone there who's confirmed the Bollywood thing and the Sun thing are all just one thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, as I thought. It just leaves a bit of a hole in the article cos he can't actually say that for certain.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't really follow the tabloids/celebrity gossip much, but the amount of vitriol being levelled at Tulisa seems to me pretty unnerving, as tabloid/public opinion suddenly seemed to shift against her and she was experiencing the full loathing of the 'chav'- hating classes, being taken massively to task for having the temerity to be successful despite coming from an ostensibly working class background blah blah. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I'm sure I remember a period where she was covered in glowing terms, being presented as an attractive woman who other women liked rather than envied etc etc. What was the point at which she became so vilified?

Last edited: