Specials vs Fun Boy Three

which of Jerry Hall's outfits preferreth thee?

• Special AKA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Colourfield (there's always one)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gumdrops

ive got a ticket for the specials next month... thinking whether i shd sell it tho as they seemed good on jools holland but a bit half hearted almost.

STN

sou'wester
Oh come on, fun boy 3 are awesome. Thumpy-thump drums, David Byrne on production etc etc. Easy to forget how weird the Specials sound though. I've probably heard the Specials too much, so I'm kind of being unfair. But nothing they've done comes close to The Pressure of Life Takes Weight off the Body for me.

STN

sou'wester
i may also start a thread in which we can vote for eras of Terry Hall's hair, which is always breathtakingly fucking dreadful.

crackerjack

No contest really.

Though waiting is a great album and Lunatics (and its b-sdie) a brilliant sniggle

you do realise including special aka and specials is gonna completely cock yourr vote up?

STN

sou'wester
No contest really.

Though waiting is a great album and Lunatics (and its b-sdie) a brilliant sniggle

you do realise including special aka and specials is gonna completely cock yourr vote up?

How so? Sorry, I'm not very good at stuff like this.

Client Eastwood

the specials for me. jerry dammers always so miserable to the point of making me smile. there's some pretty good footage from the old grey whistle test on the youtube. and as mentioned above he had cool hair. and the video to ghost town.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I went for the Specials without having heard Fun Boy 3, which is clearly a dick move as a voting strategy, but really, the Specials at their best are just fantastic, aren't they? Gangsters should be added to the bar-djing list I reckon, nobody can dislike that song.

Client Eastwood

No contest really.

its all explained here in a fashion.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

crackerjack

How so? Sorry, I'm not very good at stuff like this.

Cos I can't remember when the name changed. Sure they were AKA on Gangsters (tho I can't be bothered looking for my single to prove it), then just The Specials, then AKA again, after FB£ left - which means AKA were a Hall band for one single only.

Is tha right?

Christ, I've bored myself now.

slye

Allied Heights
To be honest, I've only got the Specials stuff and a few Two-Tone release, so I didn't vote. Just perfect summer records, aren't they?

Aside from Ghost Town, Gangsters and Rudy, Blank Expression and Too Much Too Young are the tunes for me, so the Specials proper win out over AKA for me (although I really dig the sound they get on that last record).

I've always been curious about Fun Boy Three though. Where is a good place to start with them?

STN

sou'wester
To be honest, I've only got the Specials stuff and a few Two-Tone release, so I didn't vote. Just perfect summer records, aren't they?

Aside from Ghost Town, Gangsters and Rudy, Blank Expression and Too Much Too Young are the tunes for me, so the Specials proper win out over AKA for me (although I really dig the sound they get on that last record).

I've always been curious about Fun Boy Three though. Where is a good place to start with them?

I think FB3 only did two albums, both worth having and (I'd imagine) cheap on amazon or somewhere.

The best of 'Really Saying Something' is pretty excellent.

slye

Allied Heights
Cos I can't remember when the name changed. Sure they were AKA on Gangsters (tho I can't be bothered looking for my single to prove it), then just The Specials, then AKA again, after FB£ left - which means AKA were a Hall band for one single only.

Is tha right?

If memory serves, I think it was Too Much Too Young and then they changed it back. Didn't the temporary name change have something to do with the controversy surrounding that song?

crackerjack

If memory serves, I think it was Too Much Too Young and then they changed it back. Didn't the temporary name change have something to do with the controversy surrounding that song?

I've just sought guidance from my light and saviour (aka wiki) and Gangsters was AKA, the album wasn't, but TMTY was AKA again.

Now you see how fucking confusing it all is?

slye

Allied Heights
Just checked out some clips of Waiting. I was expecting more of a Beat vs. General Public level change in sound from the Specials, but it seems like a continuation of the Special AKA project. Is this the case or am I way off? I guess I was expecting it to sound more like Our Lips Are Sealed, which sounds kind of dumb as I type it. :rolleyes:

Sounds really good though!

Wasn't Horace Panter in both the Specials and General Public?

slye

Allied Heights
I've just sought guidance from my light and saviour (aka wiki) and Gangsters was AKA, the album wasn't, but TMTY was AKA again.

Now you see how fucking confusing it all is?

Yeah that is confusing. I didn't realize it was such an on and off thing. If I didn't feel qualified to vote before, consider me doubly intimidated now!

It reminds me of the whole BAD/BAD II/Big Audio/BAD thing.

Edit: Does that mean Gangsters and TMTY count as AKA in this poll?

Last edited:

crackerjack

Just checked out some clips of Waiting. I was expecting more of a Beat vs. General Public level change in sound from the Specials, but it seems like a continuation of the Special AKA project. Is this the case or am I way off? I guess I was expecting it to sound more like Our Lips Are Sealed, which sounds kind of dumb as I type it. :rolleyes:

Sounds really good though!

Whcih Special AKA project? :confused:

I think the post-split Specials AKA went quite deliberately kitschy, esp. Girlfriend.

It was more the quality of songwriting on Waiting. Loved (with youthful nostalgia proviso) the one about the weed chain, We're Having All the Fun in particular, as well as OLAS.

slye

Allied Heights
Yeah I hadn't listened to In The Studio in awhile... thought I remembered it being a lot darker at the time.