current trends that will age horribly

padro1982

Another fave BC moment...

Round Four / Paul St. Hilaire - Find A Way (vocal)

Timeless.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
this is the very essence of this thread: timeless music sounds just right, when ever one listens to it, be it 5 years or 30 or 100 years (or i believe longer than that) from its creation. in electronic music, the nature of its process seems to put emphasis on the tools and technology, but in the end is NO DIFFERENT - good music always sounds just right.
To be honest, I'd talk about it less in terms of timeless / universal properties of the music and more about not getting overexcited about stuff because it happens to fit in with what you're currently interested in or reminds you a bit of other stuff you like - "wow it's got crusty tape echo sounds, it must be really deep, a bit like BC..."

zhao

there are no accidents
my point was more about the miniscule or nonexistant relationship of technological advancement and the creation of good music, and less about the relative worth of copycat dubtechno by numbers...

DJ PIMP

have never had any time for Deepchord...

on a Pole bender today (ooer), volumes 1-3, good times. right now the music is layering beautifully with the washing machine filling up.

i like Fluxion but it's so unrelentingly woogly and bassy... end up turning down the bass.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
my point was more about the miniscule or nonexistant relationship of technological advancement and the creation of good music, and less about the relative worth of copycat dubtechno by numbers...
I dunno, actually. I don't think that music is better now because we have more technological options, but there's definitely a correlation between people pushing the envelope musically and people pushing the envelope (of what's available to them) technologically. I mean, The Well Tempered Klavier is incredible and to me as musically potent as anything produced using Max/MSP or Reaktor or whatever, but at the time using an equal temperament piano pretty much was the cutting edge of technology. The actual causality of this is open to debate, though...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Seeing as we've spent half a page slagging it off, can someone at least name some examples of this 'ponderous Basic Channel inspired space echo navel gazing'?

I made my last comment after several years of sifting through net label techno stuff. There's a whole world of fairly derivative, exhausting shit out there (oh boy!)where there're lower material barriers to making the music available. (RAD!)

The grandaddy / one people who aren't net-audio-obsessed actually seem to care about is Thinner. Check out how many releases there are:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Thinner

and start sifting through their back catalogue. Tell me you don't feel tired.

And that's just one such label.

Kyoto Digital was the most explicit Rhythm & Sound biting one, but they appear to have vanished.

Duckbay is another one, but they've also stopped doing the mp3 thing.

Looks like Silent Season from the same part of Canada is still releasing mp3s, maybe try sifting through that.

I dunno, there's degrees of influence / cookie-cutter-ness going on... some of this stuff is much too clean and sparkly too be considered blatantly ripping off Basic Channel, but is in line with a lot of their Chain Reaction label.

It all neatly ties back to what Zhao wrote about there being so much stuff. I find it very very easy to reach saturation point and no longer really listen to any of it.

nice links:)

there's definitely a correlation between people pushing the envelope musically and people pushing the envelope (of what's available to them) technologically...

...and when you get a synergy of that its indescribable. i love the idea of some music never being able to be made like it is now, because the technology didnt exist

zhao

there are no accidents
I dunno, actually. I don't think that music is better now because we have more technological options, but there's definitely a correlation between people pushing the envelope musically and people pushing the envelope (of what's available to them) technologically. I mean, The Well Tempered Klavier is incredible and to me as musically potent as anything produced using Max/MSP or Reaktor or whatever, but at the time using an equal temperament piano pretty much was the cutting edge of technology. The actual causality of this is open to debate, though...

well you gotta know how to use what ever it is you are using, well enough to suit your purposes, right? be it your mouth, a bended stick with a string stretched on it, or max msp.

new tools enable the realization of ideas that were not possible before, but in the end artistic value has little to do with the technology itself.

Last edited:

dave

the day today tonight
Fluxion . on par w/ R&S and BC but not mentioned nearly often enough .
I picked up a bunch of stuff by Fluxion when it came out but only liked a few tracks. Either Fluxion isn't that great or I was over that sound at the time without realising it. Either way I've seen them mentioned loads as being amazing, but I'd rather give high fives to another CR artist - Various Artists. #8 on Fatcat is synth sex.

Back to the question at hand... I dunno...

Schminimal (ah, that's been mentioned..)
Liquid D&B ??!
Ponk (= pop punk)

padro1982

Various Artists = Erosion = Dynamo = Resilient = T++.

Proper legend, and consistently innovative. The T++ stuff is just incredible, amazing live as well.

DJ PIMP

padro1982

I always liked 'No Partial':

Rhythm & Sound - No partial - PK records - pk 06 - DUB

youtube really doesn't do the bass justice though!

Getting back to the thread, I'm not sure how many of the seemingly endless current supply of 'disco re-edits' will stand the test of time. Some of them are pretty good, but plenty are lazy and ultimately pointless in my opinion.

I think Jamal Moss' Members Only series is an example of the good, but there seem to be hundreds of bad ones appearing in new release lists every week.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
one trend that seems pretty current with london experimental/indie bands which has already aged horribly for me is people standing up playing a single floor tom in a sort of "hitting the drum as hard as i can gets faster and faster and more intense..." way. its not particuarly specific but i think its ever since that liars album "drums not dead" came out and has continued with a lot of animal collective copyists etc, a bit of a cheap way to put on a live show. particuarly prevalent with uk support acts at upset the rhythm shows.

sorry my first post had to be so negative, hello everyone :)

shaolinsoul

hiphop or rap..i dont see the point in it anymore it hasnt gone anywhere for the last 15 years and just keeps rehashing the shame rubbish again. Itll be 2025 and sounding like A tribe called quest again..lol