Chucking stuff at people

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
but chucking balloons is amateur. launchers are the real deal. though they can attract a heavy police response.

I swear that there is something about the atmospheric pressure in the Ottawa Valley Region that makes people more predisposed to operating three-man water balloon catapults at some point in their youth.

A friend of mine who grew up in Smith's Falls reminisces about his crude trebuchet as if it were an old lover. You could fire a water balloon a good two blocks; an egg til you could no longer see it, if you wished.

john eden

male pale and stale
I once saw a burly anti-fascist lob a large metal litter bin at a coach load of nazi skinheads.

They were jeering at us, but the window going in put at stop to that.

It was awesome.

crackerjack

Anyone been the victim of this backfiring, when some lunatic victim besieges your house? I haven't, but I know people it's happened to.

Some kid threw a stone at me while I was drinving through Moss Side once, caught me on the side of the head. I stopped and caught him, but he was too young to hit (about 10), so I tried to be all headmasterly and explain why he shouldn't have done it. He just said "you shouldn't have had your window open."

Then his big sis came and dragged him away for what she promised would be thrashing. But I think they likely just went for a fag and laughed about how they'd fooled the bald angry bloke.

john eden

male pale and stale
On a lighter note, Reading Festival used to be a veritable tournament of band/projectile interaction.

Goth/Glam popsters The Bolshoi came off especially badly.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Once I went to go see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs play a concert with a former girlfriend of mine. The lead singer was horrendously drunk, and so was the opening band; it transpired the reason being it was her birthday. Anyhow, mid-way through a set of which she spent most of writhing around on her back, yelping and snarling like a wounded animal, the opening band decided to air things out a bit by presenting her with a birthday cake on stage between songs.

She thanked them, carved out a slice of cake with her hand, and then tossed it full-force square into the middle of some punter's t-shirt in the front row.

I was considerably impressed.

crackerjack

On a lighter note, Reading Festival used to be a veritable tournament of band/projectile interaction.

Goth/Glam popsters The Bolshoi came off especially badly.

Worse than the reggae acts? Frontline famously took Mighty Diamonds and U-Roy there, and they had bottles of piss chucked at them

nomos

Administrator
I swear that there is something about the atmospheric pressure in the Ottawa Valley Region.
true stories. but this was in thunder bay actually - middle of nowhere on lake superior. post-industrial straight edgers bored with climbing dead grain elevators and playing atari.

john eden

male pale and stale
Worse than the reggae acts? Frontline famously took Mighty Diamonds and U-Roy there, and they had bottles of piss chucked at them

Unfortunately I wasn't there for them (or perhaps fortunately, given the hostility shown them).

Reading was the very definition of rockist with a few notable exceptions. Leather jackets and denim and all that.

STN

sou'wester
i was in 7-11 once when a man walked in and screamed 'Saturday night sausage fight!' before pelting the staff and customers with chopped, cooked sausage. The fact that he was alone makes it all the funnier.

john eden

male pale and stale
ooh ooh! I saw Peter Murphy (Bauhaus singer) doing the shittest solo gig imaginable at St Albans Civic Centre in about 1988.

He was wearing something like a white fencing shirt, black jodphurs and riding boots. At one point he stretched his arms out all christ like, looking up at the heavens.

It was the perfect moment for someone in the audience to lob their pint of lager at him, staining the shirt beautifully.

Mr Murphy stopped the gig and tried to scan the audience for the perpetrator, demanding that the bouncers removed him. "It's that one, smoking a cigarette!" he squealed.

crackerjack

i was in 7-11 once when a man walked in and screamed 'Saturday night sausage fight!' before pelting the staff and customers with chopped, cooked sausage. The fact that he was alone makes it all the funnier.

why did he bring his own sausage? weren't theirs good enough?

IdleRich

IdleRich
He just said "you shouldn't have had your window open."
Difficult to argue with logic like that.

"i was in 7-11 once when a man walked in and screamed 'Saturday night sausage fight!' before pelting the staff and customers with chopped, cooked sausage. The fact that he was alone makes it all the funnier."
Fantastic.

nomos

Administrator
true stories. but this was in thunder bay actually - middle of nowhere on lake superior. post-industrial straight edgers bored with climbing dead grain elevators and playing atari.
that makes it sound too romantic. it was just a boring place to live really. sorry, carry on.

that wire record is very funny.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
A guy I know once threw a dead pigeon at a school chum while shouting "Pigeoto, I choose you!"*

*this is a Pokemon reference, for those too old/cool to know.

mixed_biscuits

Launching things heavenwards with a tennis racket is fun. My brother and I used to launch thus small apples over our house and into faraway roads, onto cars, people, from the safety and comfort of our back garden.

Urbantennisgolf is almost as enjoyable.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Another high school joy was buying 15p bottles of Lemonade, shaking them up, unscrewing the top most of the way then throwing them at cars/buses/cyclists/eachother/teachers/swans.

Leo

the 80s new wave band romeo void (one-hit wonders for "never say never") played our college bar and in mid-song, someone bonked the chubby lead singer off the head with a donut!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There was that guy who lobbed a stress-relief ball at George Galloway a while back, wasn't there? I bet that was ecstatically de-stressing for the lobber, less so for his target perhaps. :D

I was in Liverpool a couple of years back when this carload of scallies whizzed past me and Mrs. Tea, and one of them threw an egg at me - which harmlessly bounced off me and rolled into the gutter. Hooliganism FAIL.

zhao

there are no accidents
me and the kid chuck stuff at each other all the time. in public, especially in restaurants, accompanied with lots of giggling. these little missile battles tend to escalate, i.e. the articles thrown gets bigger and bigger, each doing more in terms of dodging/blocking/hiding/running, until the mother intervenes.