Hip Hop 09?

gumdrops

totally agree with some of his points there - i remember when rappers were going on about hip hop not being what it was/dying/urging everyone to police it and protect it from the fakers etc, but this was back in 1994! now its not quite the force it was, everyone has gone the other way, to some sort of thin-skinned protectionist pep-talking boosting. when things get to that level you know its gone.

stephenk

i feel like his whole argument is negated by gucci mane, who is exactly what wayne was a couple of years ago and maybe someone like cam'ron or ghostface a couple of years before that...none of them really pushed for "sonic innovation" or whatever bullshit sr is looking for (he's the guy who listens to rap "for the beats") but they're all united in their outsized personalities/ridiculous lyrics...(actually, i guess cam and ghost did, the 80s pop/chipmunk soul thing and supersized wu beats, respectively)

but even then, has he heard "my shadow"? you would think for the "rave historian" guy beats that sound like zomby would be exactly what he's looking for...

plus there are so many people rapping; you can't just "emerge" like a dance producer who's stumbled on the hit formula...those four were all established before they made their big 00s records

gahh it's just frustrating reading about someone else being bored

gumdrops

the whole vaguely ravey hip hop beats thing tho has been done really hasnt it? and with more energy/inspiration too imho.

i like some of gucci mayne, and lil boosie too, but never been able to really dive into their stuff cos there seems so much of it. is there one mixtape of guccis thats a good entry point?

that new clipse album is pretty sad.

stephenk

yeah it definitely has, but i think that track in particular transcends big ravey synth washes... bleepy and ominous

it's on movie 3: the burrprint! which is one of his better ones this year...great brrritain i like as well

CrowleyHead

His perspective is incredibly flawed. Plus, I can't imagine Reynolds perspective on hip-hop is remotely up to date...

The man probably thinks "Liquid Swords" was the greatest Wu-Tang record or something really hideously nostalgia-touched... Maybe he even thinks Digable Planets were artists compared to Jungle Bros. or Freestyle Fellowship...

Why did anybody publish his opinion on hip-hop today? He probably only knows of those other artists because he gets asked to interview them or write about them on occasion. I doubt he paid somebody like Juelz Santana half as much attention as say, The Clipse or something...

stephenk

^^^agreed

and if his argument needed any further negating, the new gucci is uhh, awesome

the trio of "all about the money", "lemonade" and "bingo"...highly recommended

Dwight Yorke

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!
His perspective is incredibly flawed. Plus, I can't imagine Reynolds perspective on hip-hop is remotely up to date...

The man probably thinks "Liquid Swords" was the greatest Wu-Tang record or something really hideously nostalgia-touched... Maybe he even thinks Digable Planets were artists compared to Jungle Bros. or Freestyle Fellowship...

Why did anybody publish his opinion on hip-hop today? He probably only knows of those other artists because he gets asked to interview them or write about them on occasion. I doubt he paid somebody like Juelz Santana half as much attention as say, The Clipse or something...

Is there something wrong with really loving Liquid Swords in 2009?

CrowleyHead

Is there something wrong with really loving Liquid Swords in 2009?

No. Not what I implied at all. And just for the record, I still love Wu-Tang Clan... I just don't feel the need to continuously obsess over something that happened when I was 4.

My point though, is he keeps referring to so called 'touchstones' of genres. Album Oriented Rap, if you will. Whereas, a lot of hip-hop now, and back then, is actually based on what tracks are great and what aren't. Nobody cares that say, "Carter III" was a sporadic album of highs and lows. "Nation Of Millions" had tracks that were awful too! Big Daddy Kane never made a phenomenal ALBUM, but it's fair to say that his singles and b-sides are essential records.

I mean, this is the same guy who realized posthumously that he made the mistake of getting caught up in Album Oriented dance music in "Generation Esctasy", no? So why does he and so many other critics waste time talking about "This Album" or "That Album"?

And talking about Cannibal Ox when you complain about Hip-Hop lacking new and unique personalities... WHEN DID THOSE GUYS EVER HAVE PERSONALITIES!? Vast and Vordul are, forgive me, every-day "We were on Bobbito & Stretch" dudes... I know nothing really about them, aside from the fact that Vast Aire would probably not have a career if you couldn't punch in.

mos dan

fact music
SR's definition of a genre being dead - "doesn't mean literally disappear – it may even generate good stuff now and then –but refers to stagnation, irrelevance, becoming uncoupled from the zeitgeist" - makes me think, is simon reynolds dead?

that's extraordinary. and hilarious. and completely and utterly incredibly spot on. wow

um, did no-one post alex macpherson's response from the guardian? http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/dec/03/death-of-hip-hop

DJ PIMP

love the new gucci album.

i don't know why people give euroish rave hop a hard time... at its best its immense.

Krasner

The new Gucci is fantastic. So many great tracks. How do people like him release a constant stream of good mixtapes and still hold back class material for an album?

CrowleyHead

Yep. Those were the days man; Kindergarten, Cartoons... And being driven around in my Dad's Oldsmobile to the sounds of 90's hip-hop.

Also, my 'oedipal' complex comes from the fact that my father was a Wu-Tang affiliate for about... 2 years. It led to many a tale of the antics of these guys that would greatly entertain a young child... Only to watch them all become a bunch of spoiled pricks, delusional buffoons, and borderline insane people.

I also have to deal with them on a daily basis as my father runs a label distributed by KOCH/E1. I've had the mixed pleasure/disturbance to meet my childhood heroes.

CrowleyHead

Don't just stand there... dish it, girlfriend!

Well, out of all the generals, I've only met three, but it's the only two essential people who are alive and another guy: Ghostface, GZA and Cappadonna. Ghostface is the greatest living human being of all time, no surprise there. Gza is kind of a dick and Cappadonna... is very, very, very strange. During the course of one interview, he once started going into fake patois, much to chagrin of one of the label's ACTUALLY Jamaican employees...

I've met 3/4ths of KillArmy, not counting 4th Disciple (Who is one of the most severely polite human beings ever.); Also met various members of Theodore Unit, Brookyln Zu, ALL of Sunz Of Man, Popa Wu, Former Manager Power (AKA Knowledge in "BELLY"), Holocaust from the Bobby Digital album, Lord Superb... Those are just some of the guys I remember.

The biggest revelation however was hearing nearly everyone who doesn't have to deal with Rza on a professional level anymore (Like Gza and Ghost obviously) all speak of him with unmistakable venom.

Also, Rza's "Tao Of Wu" talk hasn't gone over well with the actual Allah School where The 5% Nation meets up anually. Rza didn't help matters when he once tried to attend wearing a Platinum Cross (probably a fashion hangover from living in Cali so long). I basically had men in my house talking with glee about how they were 'this close' to robbing him in broad daylight. Fun times!

Not Wu Related but still a gem: Upon meeting Ultramagnetic MCs (Both Ced Gee and Kool Keith), my father remarked that he always thought Dipset were heavily indebted to Ultra. To which Ced Gee replied "Well, Cam's my nephew. So, he knows what's up."