House 09!

massrock

zhao said:
no. ancient rhythm traditions not only survive but thrive not BECAUSE of, but IN SPITE OF, oppression.
That's not what you just said.
the impulse to SHAKE your booty did not come from Japanese Keyboard manufacturers, and it did not come from the precision engineering of the Swiss.

it came from the abject POVERTY of the ghettos, it came from poor black people finding hope where there is no hope, it came from jazz, it came from gospel, it came from the pissed on and the forgotten: the African American experience.
But I think you are missing the point there. I'm saying that your idea of what caused what, where things come from, is reductive and linear - just as it would be if someone were to say that techno was invented by Kraftwerk. We all know that there are large helpings of gospel, soul, funk, disco in house music, including detroit, but there are also all sorts of other things too, just as there are in those earlier traditions.

Also I think when people say things like that Detroit techno guys were influenced by European synth music they really don't usually mean that at the exclusion of all those other elements. It's usually meant as an interesting factor in addition to the other obvious antecedents. And that mix is partly what makes it Detroit techno.

One love, one people innit. Stop all the reductive nonsense.

zhao

there are no accidents
And, everything else. These things don't happen in isolation, nothing does.

But anyway so what, what's the point?

of course there were many other influences. but the point is that the main roots of this music is in the lineage i described, and people lose sight of that, and from where i'm standing, over emphasize less important factors.

One love, one people innit. Stop all the reductive nonsense.

don't mean to sound reductive but sometimes it's difficult typing a few lines on the nets (when i should be working).

yes, one people, one love. you know i'm all for that. but the problem is when people forget where shit comes from and attribute massive influence to later day imitators.

zhao

there are no accidents
ok ok onward and foward.

on the new tip, claude vonstroke seems to be pretty consistent.

mms

sometimes
is anything good going on in the world of kompakt?
I never really got alot of that stuff, are they still putting out alot?

i get the kind of overturning of fairly cheesy tropes with kompakt but alot of it just seemed to lack guts, can anyone explain the appeal to me, i never got it, i remember reading a review of a nyc show where kinda b4 dubstep was named and there was confusion as to what it all was, plasticman and markone - (who incidentally have both had to change their names since) were playing in one room and voight or one or two of the kompakt guys was in the other, and the reviewer was going - yeah those guys are the past kompakt is the future, which just seemed mad to me as so much of that kompakt stuff was just dry.

Anyone care to step up and prime up a kompakt top 10?

on the other side - clone are putting out some nice records, not moving that far forward but some striking pieces

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
is anything good going on in the world of kompakt?
I never really got alot of that stuff, are they still putting out alot?

Anyone care to step up and prime up a kompakt top 10?

on the other side - clone are putting out some nice records, not moving that far forward but some striking pieces

oh man. long long time fan here. saw M. Mayor play a small club in about 02, sublime. and then saw him again 2 years later at a larger club, absolute shit.

the first 4 or 5 TOTAL compilations are classics that will surely withstand the test of time. Schaffelfieber 1 and 2 are ace as well.

just got TOTAL 10 but haven't listened yet...

mms

sometimes
oh man. long long time fan here. saw M. Mayor play a small club in about 02, sublime. and then saw him again 2 years later at a larger club, absolute shit.

the first 4 or 5 TOTAL compilations are classics that will surely withstand the test of time. Schaffelfieber 1 and 2 are ace as well.

just got TOTAL 10 but haven't listened yet...

got a top ten, i don't really get 'it' i get the weirdos like matias aguayo and kose but have trouble with the other stuff, whats it about it thats appealing?

zhao

there are no accidents
got a top ten, i don't really get 'it' i get the weirdos like matias aguayo and kose but have trouble with the other stuff, whats it about it thats appealing?

the angularity, the reductionism (before becoming formulaic), the experimentation with sounds, that moody (almost lethargic at times) groove. have you heard those comps i mentioned? i love them all but there are a few tracks that are just all time favorites...

Ory

warp drive
not kompakt but related (superpitcher is on kompakt).

always quite liked this too

M. Mayer - Neue Luthersche Fraktur is good but I can't find it on youtube.

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Anyone know of any stuff (preferably at the slower, more disco-style tempo range) with nice, rich sub bass?

Maybe like Unique 3 or Ability II, but modern?

mms

sometimes

haha yeah i say i don't like it but there are a few things in the fact list i like.

1939 is slow druggy wobbly disco evil bass

don't really know another track quite like it in all honesty - if i did i would get it!
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Motiivi:Tuntematon

sick track - really wrong.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
haha yeah i say i don't like it but there are a few things in the fact list i like.

1939 is slow druggy wobbly disco evil bass

don't really know another track quite like it in all honesty - if i did i would get it!
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Motiivi:Tuntematon

sick track - really wrong.

Yeah, that label's pretty damn odd. I really like that Isolee track, 'It's About'.

Am not sure whether you're hoping to find stuff you like on Kompakt or just get your head around what people like about it? If it's only the latter, maybe bear in mind that for most people weirdness is not appealing. At least, I assume so. So people heaping praise on the label probably has to do with it not going too far out... or not too often.

I guess the appeal of the stuff I like on Kompakt is similar to what you said about Lessins... good sense of melody, summery samples hacked roughly to make things feel psychedelic. But then I mostly like the stuff you said you do get already ... Koze, Aguayo... but also the more ambient stuff by Dettinger. I think 'Intershop' is amazing, one of the best ambient albums.

Jürgen Paape's 'So Weit Wie Noch Nie' is beautiful too, in a similar way.

I don't think it's a very consistent label though. Most of the stuff I bothered to pick up was the ambient LPs rather than any of the dancey 12s.

echevarian

babylon sister
Rahaan knows what he's doing edit wise, still finding vinyl with his name on it is kind of hard.

http://www.deephousepage.com/search_results.php?searchString=rahaan

Check out some of these mixes for some of that real Chicago edit thing.

Other than that, can't go wrong with Theo's Ugly Edits series, or Harvey's Black Cock releases.

My personal favorite from Mr Parrish is his edit of Brainstorm's Journey to the Light.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DJ PIMP

for me, a lot of this stuff is divided into two schools

theres stuff thats modern retro

and theres stuff thats retro modern

mms

sometimes
Yeah, that label's pretty damn odd. I really like that Isolee track, 'It's About'.

Am not sure whether you're hoping to find stuff you like on Kompakt or just get your head around what people like about it? If it's only the latter, maybe bear in mind that for most people weirdness is not appealing. At least, I assume so. So people heaping praise on the label probably has to do with it not going too far out... or not too often.

I guess the appeal of the stuff I like on Kompakt is similar to what you said about Lessins... good sense of melody, summery samples hacked roughly to make things feel psychedelic. But then I mostly like the stuff you said you do get already ... Koze, Aguayo... but also the more ambient stuff by Dettinger. I think 'Intershop' is amazing, one of the best ambient albums.

Jürgen Paape's 'So Weit Wie Noch Nie' is beautiful too, in a similar way.

I don't think it's a very consistent label though. Most of the stuff I bothered to pick up was the ambient LPs rather than any of the dancey 12s.

im not into weird, just weird anyway, but the quirky stuff here is the most interesting stuf, its just alot of the stuff i heard on the label. and i have a friend who loves it and always used to try and convince me too, but so much of it just sounds like forgettable wallpaper.

mms

sometimes
oh by the way that dj am guy who you zhao said i thought invented house died of a drug overdose today.
read this on twitter, means very little to me except that it was a much much worse insult than i first thought ;)

Last edited: