viktorvaughn

2843301612_c853854400.jpg

SO anyone know when next Beyond is? Is it last Thursday of every month?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
yeah, the track is sick if its the one kode wheeled up at beyond.

Yeah, kode pulled it back. He was playing it at -6 though.

Think he only pulled two, move down low and one of his amazing new ones that's very broken and wonky with massive pitchbent synths.

I asked this before - anyone catch crazy couzins' set? I had to go before they were on, and I love their stuff. Last rinse show was wild.

viktorvaughn

I'm hearing some Todd Edwards-ish influence (unsurprisingly I guess) too recently, e.g. Qualifide & Jazzy D ft Tamara - Sweetest Sound (Groove Odyssey)...it's a right old melting pot. Any ragga-funky tracks been done yet? - that would be alot.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
That's what I'm doing - there's quite a bit of broken / 3:2-y stuff mixed into 4x4, in fact all the rougher funky has a bit of that on the toms, I think.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Think ragga beat - "boomp boomp CLACK boomp boomp CLACK".

Wayne on Wax did a definitive analysis / history of it a couple of years back.

viktorvaughn

That's what I'm doing - there's quite a bit of broken / 3:2-y stuff mixed into 4x4, in fact all the rougher funky has a bit of that on the toms, I think.

Sounds good!

I was listening to a Marcus Nasty mix last night and a mate came in and I was trying to explain how it was (at least nominally) funky [house] and he straight away said it sounds garage with a soca beat. Exciting times...

Immryr

i don't get calling it 3:2 either. to me, 3:2 means 3 over 2, which gives you a completely different rhythm. i find it very misleading.

powerpill

Yeah, kode pulled it back. He was playing it at -6 though.

Think he only pulled two, move down low and one of his amazing new ones that's very broken and wonky with massive pitchbent synths.

I asked this before - anyone catch crazy couzins' set? I had to go before they were on, and I love their stuff. Last rinse show was wild.

i saw a bit of them, but to be honest the stuff kode was playing just over shadowed most of the other stuff that was being played that night. next level biz

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
i saw a bit of them, but to be honest the stuff kode was playing just over shadowed most of the other stuff that was being played that night. next level biz

On the other hand,Crazy Couzins really brought the party with them and probably got the best response of the night.I thought the lineup was well rounded.
If the purpose of this club was to simply mark out the next territory for IDM boffins to colonize it would be a hell of a lot LESS interesting to me!

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

mms

sometimes
On the other hand,Crazy Couzins really brought the party with them and probably got the best response of the night.I thought the lineup was well rounded.
If the purpose of this club was to simply mark out the next territory for IDM boffins to colonize it would be a hell of a lot LESS interesting to me!

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

what else have idm boffins colonised though?

they didn't manage to do it with dubstep, they're too busy fawning over b12 records and having guilty pleasure moments over altern 8

viktorvaughn

i can't think of any idm style dubstep no.
there is a definite strain that has coopted basic channel style techno tropes but that's techno.

Planet Mu stuff? Chevron, Mu-ziq's Gruesome Garage, Hawerchuck, also Werk Discs' Grim Dubs series, I think there is some there and I think it's some of the least enjoyable also I must say.

elgato

I just dont know
depends whether you see 'IDM' as an aesthetic or an approach too

and how you would define either of those

BareBones

wheezy
thought that 'Local Headlines' ep by Starkey on Werk was very 'IDM'ish... didn't enjoy that one at all. Weird considering pretty much all his other stuff is killer.