mos dan

fact music
lol straight, very funny.

nomos i saved you a flyer! when are you coming to ldn?

apparently paul meme was there - though by the time melissa b said to me 'that was paul meme who just left', you'd left. saw kode9, ma1, and perempay - good vibes inside, very relaxed and thursday-ish, very, er, fwd-like, i guess. not very full, but full enough.. i approve :)

the palette is still a bit.. samey, for me (brought to mind a 2005-era dmz where everyone has - and plays - exactly the same anthems as each other, only these anthems aren't quite as good tbh), but give it a while and book marcus 'next level' nasty and you're sorted.

out to blackdown, boomnoise, tom pr, elijah.. a few dissensus heads about.

one other thing, i was about to go up to perempay in the dance and say 'hey bossman, whatever happened to your brother snipe keedo.. has he stopped mc-ing since you switched to funky? doesn't he resent not having your grime show on rinse as an outlet?'... then i noticed keedo was standing behind him.. that might've been awkward.

viktorvaughn

Thanks for the info, I am 100% coming to the next one... Does the flyer have info on next dates/residents/guests etc?

What's Bar Rhumba like as a venue? Decent sound? Drinks prices?

Was the crowd FWDish in it's demographic? Do you think the crowd here is pretty different to a funky rave in mile end or whatever?

Quite curious about, seems like its almost the funky FWD as you say...

Elijah

Butterz
well, i rarely see girls in dresses at fwd. but ok.

I was there 4 about 10 min inside and 30 mins outside and yea, heard 2 of the same songs twice. it didnt seem like that environment where u would be under pressure 2 play bangers. they should of just been playing the untested stuff.

bar rhumba club is shite really. bouncers attitudes were ridiculous talking to me like im a child, it was weird, felt really romford time and envy esq. they should of just had it at east village, raving in central ldn = deadout

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
I found quite a bit of variety in what was played.Yes the big anthems were cained,but the response was full on,so why not? Forward somehow never felt like a disco.This did and it's a good thing.There were no chin stroking guys on the dance floor.Again this is good.

Making mad funky versions of tracks from the Defected catalogue IS big and clever. The 'broken beats meets Doop' version of ''Nightrain'' by Thommy Davis is my new favourite record!

''There's Something In the Air, I can feel it, I Can Feel It''

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Damn, missed you Dan! Out to blackdown, farrah, boomnoise, kode, melissa and everyone else I talked to.

was a really goos night though I left early. Was stoked that kode played my funky remix of move down low - sent it on weds, cut on thursday, played that night! Got a rewind. First time I heard one of my tunes in a club! Some of kode's new funky bits are off the hook! He doesn't reckon they're finished but I think they are!

did anyone see crazy couzins? The last rinse show is off the hook!

Elijah

Butterz
u lot know marcus is on rinse now

I AM NOW ON WWW. RINSE. FM / 100.
4 FM EACH AND EVERY WEDS 7-9 GMT SO STAY TUNED FOR THE BEST IN UKhouse FROM THE UK'S NUMBER 1 FUNKY DJ!!!!!!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is the Rinse schedule wrong or was marcus just doing a one-off?

I need to know when I can listen to funky and have my finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist monster.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
was very interesting
still not sure on venue but it could have been far , far worse.
shame kode was on first, not very brave of geeneus.... he smacked it. would love to hear a recorded funky / 130ish set by him, other than that manky one he did for dj rupture. (manky due to technicals/being v short)

sometimes it veered into dull 4x4 with 2/4 snares .......but the music never lost me too much as just when boredom was arriving a really nice syncopated beat would turn up.

good stuff.

viktorvaughn

Would be sick if it were at Plastic People every 4th Thursday or something like that, Geeneus must have good connection with them from FWD.

Incidentally what has replaced FWD on Fridays - anyone know?

nomos

Administrator
nomos i saved you a flyer! when are you coming to ldn?
cheers dan! pm'd.

i definitely want to reach this thing if it's still going in the new year. sounds like a promising if not mind-blowing start. a bit on the conservative side in terms of the lineup. hopefully the likes of marcus nasty, mac10, invasion, naughty, etc. are being lined up.

what were the frankie9 tracks like? the bit i heard on the rupture show sounded like it was in the squiggly vein of recent hyperdub.

doom

Public Housing
kind of, there is alot of f tasteful funky house from s africa and alot of house that uses those kind of african drums, thats not a new thing, the stuff from south africa that gets me more excited is the slightly old school chicago sounding stuff that's also pretty rough that they now call kwaito house, which is kwaito that seems to have gone the same evolution as grime into funky.

Oh fr sure, some SA house is almost indistinguishable from any Defected or Ibadan type stuff & yh those drums have always been there, I shoulda said interesting not important, wrong word really.

The thing I find kinda fascinating on that afrodesia site is all the genre names 'Afro-electro' etc.etc.

& it is really, really interesting what you say there with regards to the similar trajectories of kwaito / kwaito house & grime / funky.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Audio in a bit. Only kode, boom and blackdown have it for now. It's good though. Faster than most funky - 138, so built to bridge between funky, grime and dubstep. There's going to be more.