...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

rubberdingyrapids

not heard the ross yet but did finally hear the gunplay album. its better than i expected but also just a bit underwhelming. not enough standouts, or songs that bang as hard as the first song, tell em. they could have given him better beats i think. theyre never bad but a lot of the beats seem like 2nd tier stuff. i like that they tried to make a proper album-album, but it doesnt really ever come alive.

i think gunplay could be good (or might be forced to) making hardcore underground/backpack sort of stuff in the future, away from MMG. i could see people who wont listen to him now would be converted if he was to rap over some jake one, or alchemist stuff.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of the beats on the Ross tape are sample based, would be a good fit for Gunplay potentially. That Lex Luger style trap style has reached barrel bottom status - or better to say its like all the serotonin has been sucked out of the luger receptors and now it doesn't work like it used to. (Then again Flockaveli still does the business.)

Interesting comparing the dispassionate affect of some of Futures recent vocals with the OTT histrionics of Gunplays delivery. Something about that lean flattened delivery seems very 2015 to me whereas Gunplay, incredible talent that he is, is like a throwback.

rubberdingyrapids

thats just cos aggression as a vocal style in general seems passe these days. its maybe the post-drake effect. i keep thinking that the lukewarm response to gunplay is partly to do with that, but also because people just want to be sad that that kind of thing isnt cutting it like it used to, rather than because the gunplay album is that bad. its not. its actually pretty good if youre a gunplay fan - he doesnt sound like hes lost it at all, or that hes peaked. its just that its not what it should have been.

i couldnt get to the end of the rozay tape. but i have that issue with all his albums/mixtapes. after a while the luxuriousness of it all starts to suck all the energy out of me. his production preferences are just TOO polished. makes me feel comatose.

rubberdingyrapids

im still persevering with living legend, i think its underrated actually. if gunplay had beats like futures dirty sprite 2, it could have been incredible. this idea that hes an old rapper, a 90s artist, a relic, is misplaced and just lazy.

luka

I think that's wrong to but at the same time I don't like the album. He/his record company seemed to miss their moment

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like it more than volume 1, I think I thugged myself out a bit this year now though; it's not him, it's me. Raw on SS@ is amazing, first intro track is nice and weird too.

Pandiculate

War for '15

Just listened to the tape, these were my favourites:

I feel like I like the second one just because the guitar reminds me of Ruff Sqwad, he's definitely got promise. His hooks are a bit weak but he's got a good ear for beats, and a co-sign from Juicy J can't hurt. I quite enjoyed reading all the comments on the mixtape too, people aren't happy about his name.

sadmanbarty

Unreleased from 1994. His flow on this track sounds more like the Nigga Please/Wu Tang Forever era ODB rather then his early/mid 90's sound.