current trends that will age horribly

zhao

there are no accidents
what will people think of, in 10 or 20 years time, about the sound of the 2000s, and shake their heads and go "oh remember that? oh god so embarrassing..."

stupid digital distortion ala Digitalism, Justice, Crookers, Modeselector, etc.

excessive autotune

preset wobble

these things have the shelf life of over-ripe tomatoes which were already starting to rot when they were shipped.

what else you think will go the way of flanged out electronic drum pads?

swears

preppy-kei
what will people think of, in 10 or 20 years time, about the sound of the 2000s, and shake their heads and go "oh remember that? oh god so embarrassing..."

stupid digital distortion ala Digitalism, Justice, Crookers, Modeselector, etc.

This is just great party music. It's probablly a bit "last season" now anyway. I went to see Boys Noise hammer all this stuff last year at Chibuku and it was one of my top nights out ever. Who knows, this could be the new hardcore. "It's trash but I luvvit."

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah I dunno, I quite like Justice although I wouldn't say I've been blown away by anything from them.

Autotune currently does my head in, I've mentioned this before. But I still feel it has potential, just not the way that the majority of artists use it right now.
I get the feeling that ending tracks with the sound of a gun blast is a gimmick which is finally dying (lol) out. If this is really the case, then it's long-overdue.

hucks

Your Message Here
Surely it'll come back again, tho? Nothing stays trendy or untrendy forever. Anyhow, history's a crap judge, and worrying about how things will look or sounds decades hence is no way to go about things.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm more just taking the opportunity to moan about sounds that annoy me right now. As far as the long view goes, as long as history continues to smile on mentasm sounds, the Amen break and acieed-style 303 bass, then I'm basically happy.

Like punch drunk fighters who dont know when to quit. Who currently producing do you think will refuse to roll over and die quietly ?

Take a stab at it and maybe in 5 years come back to this thread and see how you fared:p

muser

I dont think you can really lump Modeselektor with people like Justice or Crookers. More likely then not there will be groups of people playing hoards of records from this time in a decade or two (who probably arnt around now or are very young).

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Definitely autotune and most likely some image of the hipster a la Noel Fielding in the Mighty Boosh.

Texting on number pads.

muser

True, Modeselektor aren't really as fun or awesome.

I do enjoy all that electro/garage/bass hybrid stuff from time to time but its totally different to Modeselektor. I also challenge that anyone who slags them off hasn't seen them perform live, Ive never seen them play without them making the whole place go wild.

mms

sometimes
you've kind of identified web 2.0 kinda music that relies on a single mode and effect as it's reason d'etre.
i can't stand that whole justice etc, just lowest common alcohol music, wobble pretty much uses the same frequencies too. the only stuff i like outta that lot is mr oizo and jackson.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
the whole DFA thing and the 'ecstatic yodelling' thing with the hysterical singing/shouting over-earnest indie shit, stuff like Architecture in Helsinki and Animal Collective.

Also indie hiphop like Necro and all that derivitive Wu-Tang sounding stuff from New York and wherever.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
you've kind of identified web 2.0 kinda music that relies on a single mode and effect as it's reason d'etre.
i can't stand that whole justice etc, just lowest common alcohol music, wobble pretty much uses the same frequencies too. the only stuff i like outta that lot is mr oizo and jackson.

You've mentioned this 'alcohol music' thing a couple of times recently, could you explain in more detail what you mean by it? I'm not saying that you're wrong necesseraly, but I do think it's a potentially interesting topic to discuss.

What we're talking about then is faceless hypem blog house, basically.

Yeah, this is obvious, but the fans and people who make this stuff are fully aware of its instantaneousness and disposability, vacuous party music. it's just cherry picking from the most energetic punchy scenes out there and firing them together into a noisy advertisement. post-modern clusterfuck!

I really liked Switch about 3/4 years back, and Modeselektor have been good when i seen them live, so this sort of ironic fidget sound isn't all bad.

Piotrek

3,5,0,1,2,5, Warsaw!
Yeah, this is obvious, but the fans and people who make this stuff are fully aware of its instantaneousness and disposability, vacuous party music. it's just cherry picking from the most energetic punchy scenes out there and firing them together into a noisy advertisement. post-modern clusterfuck!

I really liked Switch about 3/4 years back, and Modeselektor have been good when i seen them live, so this sort of ironic fidget sound isn't all bad.

I hate this scene (call it blog-house, fidget) - because it's not really about music - as musch as it's hypenergetic coked-up music, it's also about trendsetting, sponsored parties, photoblogs things, ego-buzzing, and it sounds pretty much the same everywhere in the world - same software, same inspirations (from blogs like Discodust, Fluokids), same ironic references plugged almost in the same moment (like horror references who appeared earlier this year) and eating the best (or most significatnt) bits from each genre - dubstep, bassline, b-more, house, rave, 90's eurodance, french house, electro . Still I'm afraid that it has became a default mode of club music. BUT sometimes it's great. Of course.

Last edited: