current trends that will age horribly

vimothy

yurp
Maybe I don't think it will age horribly, exactly, but it is played out. And you can add Deathspell Omega and orthodox-religious BM to that list, too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
along similar lines, pretty much all drone metal other than old Earth stuff (which has aged just fine I reckon), some Boris & some of the more central Stephen O'Malley projects. & Neurosis tho they're only tangentially related.

on the other hand sludge/stoner metal kinda almost improves with age - Sleep sounds better with every passing year, The Melvins, Eyehategod, Buzzoven - perhaps it's the timelessness of that distorted blues/Black Sabbath riffage trope...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Alright, a current trend that I think is tired and awful-sounding already and expect to like less as time goes by:

Reverby, droney sounds compressed to fuck so they're ducking under the beats and the whole track is just far too loud... Sick of it. I think it's quite a cool effect, really liked it when techno bods were getting stuck into it approx 5 years ago, but am especially over it when it comes to instrumental hip-hop stuff. This Nosaj Thing MP3 is an example, and he sounds like Dabrye, like Flying Lotus, and others in this regard.

I'm more just taking the opportunity to moan about sounds that annoy me right now. As far as the long view goes, as long as history continues to smile on mentasm sounds, the Amen break and acieed-style 303 bass, then I'm basically happy.
You must love what boxcutters been doing lately then. That futurefunk stuff on his myspace is positively hydrochloric.

echevarian

babylon sister
Hmm.

Mainstream minimal tech-house along the likes of Minilogue, uh yeah definitely.

Couldn't agree more.

Obviously Nu-Rave as a fashion thing is dead as shit, but I'm not so convinced that bloghouse is going that way so quickly. I know that Electrohouse is dying in Europe, but something weird happened on the American coasts and in Chicago.

It went native.

Suddenly hoardes of ex DNB people, and bedroom Indie pop producers, and crossover Baltimore club people, and ex Dubstep people are all making bloghouse. Treasure Fingers is in Evol Intent. Mathhead, Foamo, Drop the Lime, and Starkey have all been making crossover wobble tunes at this tempo.

And they're bringing some genuine skills to their productions, its getting interesting.

And playing Devil's advocate here, blarey booze music is timeless.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I dunno, anything trying desperately hard to be timeless will probably age the most.

I think this whole line of questioning by music (or any other) critics has become a bit over prominent
'how with the album be remembered?'
'but will people care about this film in 15 years?'
I don't care, what do you think about it now?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Also hoping that the JoolsHollandification of music in the 2000s (Winehouse, Duffy, Seasick Swagman) will date horribly

zhao

there are no accidents
I don't think the idea of disposable dance music with a short shelf life is so bad

sure thing, cheap and disposable music have often ironically become timeless and classic. just look at all the 60s bollywood, or the Cambodian rock of the same time. all those saccharine, tacky little pop moments have become the stuff of legend, and we, at least i, listen to it over and over marvelling at its improbable, effortless genius.

but justice sucks donkey ass.

drab clipeticloping endlessly laptopy mnml
kompakt, cocoon - neo-trance...all those records that sound both flimsy and over-ripe
snoresome dub techno retreads without basic channel edge (loads of those last year)
hawtin's info-tech business fair version of techno futurism
hand-wringing, mannered, click/micro house from early 00s - yawn!
all that creatively lazy berlin techno bohemia
ts'all already dying - drying out and reducing like boneless jellyfish on hot sands!
:D

man after me own heart here.

Xasthur & west coast bedroom BM in general.

in my mind this stuff is kinda related to Shit-Gaze: the lo fi shitty muddy sonics, the incoherent, dull ache in the brain. have only bothered with a few BM projects in this vein but i can say that i really like some of the shit-gaze stuff. don't know how well it will age though as part of its appeal to me is this pathetic, not even trying very hard attempt to conceal its derivitiveness. but through this half hearted crappy take making something genuinely kinda fresh, and becoming a kind of profound endgame sound for guitar rock/pop -- the sound of a dying culture: it can only end like this.

Reverby, droney sounds compressed to fuck so they're ducking under the beats and the whole track is just far too loud... Sick of it.

i must be the only one around here who never felt flying lotus. there is simply nothing there for me and i don't want to listen to it.

the compressed drone comment reminds me of those millions of Fennesz wannabes out there pastoralizing and ambient digi-sound designing themselves to sleep...

Suddenly hoardes of ex DNB people, and bedroom Indie pop producers, and crossover Baltimore club people, and ex Dubstep people are all making bloghouse. Treasure Fingers is in Evol Intent. Mathhead, Foamo, Drop the Lime, and Starkey have all been making crossover wobble tunes at this tempo.

And they're bringing some genuine skills to their productions, its getting interesting.

is Headhunter part of this you reckon? far as subwoofy house goes. but this stuff is not really blogouse anymore is it?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I think this whole line of questioning by music (or any other) critics has become a bit over prominent
'how with the album be remembered?'
'but will people care about this film in 15 years?'
I don't care, what do you think about it now?

i think in this age of proliferation and sensory overload and too many choices, what people want more than anything else is for something to matter. and these lines of questioning may be an expression of that. personally i would prefer less and better in general...

Also hoping that the JoolsHollandification of music in the 2000s (Winehouse, Duffy, Seasick Swagman) will date horribly

no worries there it most likely will :)

faustus

amy winehouse's first album is a classic. the mark ronson school of producing on the other hand will, hopefully, fuck off and die

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
well it's just thinking out loud, but i think it works on several levels i think.
Firstly you got the actual effects of alcohol on hearing ie it cuts out some of the lower end. so naturally your left with the need to fill that with mid.

Then the social kind of power of the midrange and volume, ie mid is usually the same pitch as speech, directed etc and in a social situation the battle for music is to either accompany and stimulate drinking, like in a pub, so you get this battle between music volume and speaking, which results in overstimulated drinkers almost shouting at each other.
or you want to be loud enough to drown out the speaking altogether, hence oasis' midrange miasma, the bar room blog house, ie crookers, justice etc. The trick is to get the music loud enough so that audiences have to give in.

The music also works in some ways as you can play a low quality mp3 of it and as it has no bottom or top end particulary it won't matter.

Safe for properly responding to this - A lot of what you're saying makes at least some kind of sense to me, although as regards your point about competing for attention in social spaces, an obvious point would be that there are lots of other loud social situations where dance music is played other than pubs/bars, and some of them would be orientated around things other than booze.
I dunno though, don't take this as a personal dig but would you consider this alcohol-frequency kind of music to be inherently 'lesser', or at least see the booze orientation as automatically a point against it? I say this because the dismissive attitude of 'oh, that stuff's all just booze music' (which I hear from other people apart from you) reminds a lot of the way people would right off ardcore and ravey type stuff as 'just noise for people on pills', 'e-monster fodder' and so forth. Now you might say that ecstacy is a more interesting drug culturally than alcohol, has more progressive potential,, and I would be inclined to agree if you did, but still.. I drink, and you drink (right?), so are we really in a position to dismiss the whole culture associated with that as something horribly alien?
That kind of critique can also be a way of avoiding engaging with you the music properly I think, of almost deliberately not wanting to see what you can get out of it on your own terms. And you might miss out this way. For instance, Swears hardly comes across as some lairy, laddish beer-monster, but he clearly gets quite a lot out of this cluster of artists (I still find 'blog house' to silly to use as a name), so there must be something more to their sound/appeal.

FWIW, I do share your propensity to find mid-range electronic sounds annoying, but I think for slightly different reasons. For me, focus on the mid-range alone tends to produce a curiously 'flat', levelled-out kind of sonic experience, esp when combined with stomping mid-tempo beats. Also it's a comparative thing, I just find bass/sub and very high treble more exciting.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
its a new thing in dance music though which has always put bass and drums before mid

Hmmm, not so sure - some of the hard/bangin early 90s techno like Frank de Wulf, John & Julie and so forth had a lot of prominent mid sounds going on. I reckon this stuff has held up pretty well actually, think it's to do with the quite dramatic dynamics of how the sounds are structured, which avoids the potential dullness factor I mentioned above.
Also big-beat was all blaring mid frequencies - but perhaps not so succesfully, it certainly got a lot of the same kind of criticisms that you've been levelling at the Ed Banger type sound, and in this case I'd sometimes be inclined to agree with them.