current trends that will age horribly

STN

sou'wester
Everyman/woman rapping, in an estuary accent, about your partner being useless and having your bum pinched in the Wetherspoons.

Or is this already sounding putridly dated?

crackerjack

Surely it'll come back again, tho? Nothing stays trendy or untrendy forever. Anyhow, history's a crap judge, and worrying about how things will look or sounds decades hence is no way to go about things.

Aye. That way lies deep house and many another snoozefest.

And what Swears says about Justice. Two of the best gigs I've seen in years were theirs.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
smart trainers, things like girl talk and all that eclectro nonsense, ironic parties, drm

zhao

there are no accidents
the whole DFA thing and the 'ecstatic yodelling' thing with the hysterical singing/shouting over-earnest indie shit, stuff like Architecture in Helsinki and Animal Collective.

Also indie hiphop like Necro and all that derivitive Wu-Tang sounding stuff from New York and wherever.

good additions.

Ive never seen them play without them making the whole place go wild.

can say same thing about limp bizkit.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't think the idea of disposable dance music with a short shelf life is so bad, it's probably been responsible for a lot of the developments you get through scenius or whatever. The term "house music" in the first place comes from the idea of making "in house" club tracks that would get hammered in a particular nightspot by a dj for a short time before moving onto other things. That goes back to disco as well, I guess. Then you had the whole cult of Detroit techno bods getting moody and serious and mystical about what they were doing, even if they did do some great stuff. But you can't really second guess what's going to be "important" and it's not worth doing now anyway.

muser

can say same thing about limp bizkit.

ha true, but I would say that the crowd at a night with modeslektor playing are probably a bit more discerning and a bit less acne ridden then a limp bizkit crowd... ok anyway im done defending modeselektor now :):rolleyes:

mms

sometimes
You've mentioned this 'alcohol music' thing a couple of times recently, could you explain in more detail what you mean by it? I'm not saying that you're wrong necesseraly, but I do think it's a potentially interesting topic to discuss.

well it's just thinking out loud, but i think it works on several levels i think.
Firstly you got the actual effects of alcohol on hearing ie it cuts out some of the lower end. so naturally your left with the need to fill that with mid.

Then the social kind of power of the midrange and volume, ie mid is usually the same pitch as speech, directed etc and in a social situation the battle for music is to either accompany and stimulate drinking, like in a pub, so you get this battle between music volume and speaking, which results in overstimulated drinkers almost shouting at each other.
or you want to be loud enough to drown out the speaking altogether, hence oasis' midrange miasma, the bar room blog house, ie crookers, justice etc. The trick is to get the music loud enough so that audiences have to give in.

The music also works in some ways as you can play a low quality mp3 of it and as it has no bottom or top end particulary it won't matter.

mms

sometimes
I don't think the idea of disposable dance music with a short shelf life is so bad, it's probably been responsible for a lot of the developments you get through scenius or whatever. The term "house music" in the first place comes from the idea of making "in house" club tracks that would get hammered in a particular nightspot by a dj for a short time before moving onto other things.

it's actually a shortered version of 'the warehouse' which was a chicago club, but yeah nothing wrong with disposable stuff.

Leo

speaking of which, i just heard some trippy 90s ambient house today, system 7 i think...man, that has not aged well.

currently...maybe emo? or the overly earnest/sensitive indie-folk stuff?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
what will people think of, in 10 or 20 years time, about the sound of the 2000s, and shake their heads and go "oh remember that? oh god so embarrassing..."

I guess the first question begs another: which people are you thinking of?

what else you think will go the way of flanged out electronic drum pads?

What way have "flanged out electronic drum pads" gone? If I understand what you're trying to describe, they're obviously not mainstream, but they're still around and certainly pretty cool with "people" in their 20s now.

So basically when I read this thread all I could think was: what the fuck does it matter what we think now? Our opinions will have even less consequence in 10 to 20 years.

But, sorry, guess you're just having fun. :(

Leo

funny thing is, past styles i thought would have aged horribly sometimes come back in a good way. i was never a fan of either later human league or depeche mode, but recent albums by the juan maclean and junior boys copped heavily from them and are pretty cool.

the ig

drab clipeticloping endlessly laptopy mnml

kompakt, cocoon - neo-trance...all those records that sound both flimsy and over-ripe

snoresome dub techno retreads without basic channel edge (loads of those last year)

hawtin's info-tech business fair version of techno futurism

hand-wringing, mannered, click/micro house from early 00s - yawn!

all that creatively lazy berlin techno bohemia

ts'all already dying - drying out and reducing like boneless jellyfish on hot sands!
:D

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
currently...maybe emo??

already 5 yrs ago mate.

a Brief Timeline of Emo:

1986 - Embrace & Rites of Spring - timeless
late 80s - post-hardcore (Fugazi, Nation of Ulysses, Rorschcach etc.) - pretty hit or miss but some of it still sounds pretty good
early-mid 90s - birth of screamo (Heroin, Antioch Arrow etc.) - has aged surprisingly well
late 90s-early 00s - emo & screamo go kinda mainstream (Hot Water Music, Grade + some bollocks about the more emo-ish side of metal core a la Atreyu) - pretty much uniformly terrible
00s - sadsack emo emo that has more to do with sadsack C86 indie & folk music & whatever than hardcore (Conor Oberst, Dashboard Confessional, etc.) - pretty much uniformly terrible tho admittedly in this case I'm quite biased

I dunno what's happened lately as I stopped paying attention around '05 or so.