baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Why was it silly? Explain that to me, please, from your armchair. You can disagree with it, sure, but saying it's silly is just smug idiocy.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't think they did actually. Chris Huhme was much better than I've ever seen him. I thought Straw's laid-back, hardly caring approach worked well: why should you care about these silly views?

mixed_biscuits

At the start we were all primed with 'whatever this guy says, what he really wants to do is this' whilst everyone tried to outdo each other in going apesh+t on his ass; then there was lots of waffle on immigration; at the end they all read out their pre-written spiel to reinforce the priming from the start.

swears

preppy-kei
This was weird, like watching a TV debate from twenty or thirty years ago, when there were major differences between political parties.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Unfortunately it took Griffin to state the obvious point that Straw has far more blood on his hands than the BNP does (yet, and obv hopefully it will stay that way).

Straw is a smug twat with vile views of his own (did you listen to what these people all said about immigration???), and he used the programme to bolster his own reputation. Obviously his very basic points were correct, and he was more eloquent than the others - that doesn't excuse his own grim record.

Again, the main point is - Griffin is an incompetent. The next person they recruit as leader might be a Le Pen. The view that British people reject these views because they are all more intelligent than that (anyway, why anyone could think that some highly intelligent people are not fascists is beyond me)/don't sympathise with fascist points of view, is just astonishingly smug.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Why was it silly? Explain that to me, please, from your armchair. You can disagree with it, sure, but saying it's silly is just smug idiocy.

Well, it's nothing big, but once the BNP have to actually explain their policies rather than propound slogans, they're lost. Their politics are so outside the acceptable or possible thatt boils down to what they are. That is: identity politics. That is: neo-fascists in charge of subcultural thugs and cranks. It's laughable.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I thought Griffin did 'well' on Islam, and will probably pick up further support from the show cos of that; I think it's underestimated just how huge Islamophobia is.

Bonnie Greer did well too. You're right though swears, it did feel like time was being reversed, horrible feeling.

Nothing on mixed marriages though :(

Dusty

Tone deaf
All a bit of a letdown, Griffin is an idiot - I really wished he would have either stood up for his beliefs in front of direct criticism regardless of how warped they are, or... or something! Anything other than the predictable shuffling and avoidance that bigots/racists come up with when under the spotlight - the man is a small-minded moron. They spoke about Churchill turning in his grave, even Mosley would be spinning.

Maybe the BBC could get him on the One Show to help boost ratings as well.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well, it's nothing big, but once the BNP have to actually explain their policies rather than propound slogans, they're lost. Their politics are so outside the acceptable or possible thatt boils down to what they are. That is: identity politics. That is: neo-fascists in charge of subcultural thugs and cranks. It's laughable.

Sorry, that's bullshit. Le Pen got to round two of the French presidency in 2002 with much the same "laughable" views. Or are the French somehow more fascist than the British?

It's the people who do nothing and treat it as a joke who are the real problem, sorry.

mixed_biscuits

Well, I don't think it's possible to have a qualitatively different policy on immigration, it all boils down to a matter of degree: who and how many, and nigh on everybody makes choices according to those two criteria.

Griffin avoids the 'who' question by proposing a 'no more' quota that would mean it wouldn't have to be answered.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This is really not smug at all. What planet are you coming from here?

A planet where I think being told it's silly to go and demonstrate against NIck Griffin appearing on primetime national TV, is very smug. As he himself said, that programme will have been of interest to "some people" - even if lots of people find it horrific, some people will have listened to him and agreed (though a lot less than if he hadn't been incompetent).

mixed_biscuits

You don't stop people agreeing with him by gagging him, you do it through rational argument (ideally). If there is a hidden agenda, then argument should tease it out - and the more argument there is, the more easily this would be done!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm a bit alarmed that you didn't think we was humiliated here.

I'm a bit alarmed that you think that this is the point. The point is: a fascist leader who was not as incompetent as Griffin (I gave a concrete example in a country not far from the UK) would have truly had an early Xmas present with their appearance on QT.

It was merely contingent that this programme wasn't as depressing as it might have been. You can't rely on all fascists to be rubbish at PR (hey, look at Jack Straw!)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You don't stop people agreeing with him by gagging him, you do it through rational argument (ideally). If there is a hidden agenda, then argument should tease it out - and the more argument there is, the more easily this would be done!

This assumes that people are inherently not swayed by fascist points of view. History suggests otherwise. Ffs, you only need to look at Britain's history (and its insistence that Churchill didn't have a fascist bone in his body was a hell of an attempt to rewrite history on QT tonight) to know that's not true, let alone recent history in other countries.

Over and out. This debate is too depressing.