sometimes i like it, sometimes it sound boring

gumdrops

am wondering what luka likes now.

i feel like this about the 'deeper' end of dubstep - the stuff thats meant to be all soulful etc. also a lot of the techno-dubstep stuff thats come out in the last few years. its okay but a lot of it i find is a bit too wishy washy/bland or a bit sterile.

but also - most madlib, a lot of indie underground rap, various ambient jungle (might be alone here but im not much of a fan of hyper-breaks with tactile soothing caressing synth washes on top), quite a lot of funky vocal tunes, philly international (some great records obv but some of it is so ultra polished it just washes over me),

gumdrops

yeah, roots of dubstep and el-b.

do like some of his tracks of course - digital etc but a fair amount of it does get a bit boring. sometimes i think its kinda hypnotic, other times i think its seriously just in need of something more.

straight

wings cru
dubstep that sounds like dub. In that sometimes I love how plastic and silly parts of the skream album was but at other times it sounds like student smoker toss

And Mountain of One

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
a lot of what is mentioned here is really specific, for a certain time music, some of it is purely functional. you can't expect it to be something it's not.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Most of the things that luka and gumdrops mentioned, really, but eh, it's hard to talk about it much without sounding like you're trolling or getting one-up on people, so I won't.
I do find Scratcha's and Bakongo/Roska's drum-experiment tracks fairly dull at times, though obv they are interesting and could lay the foundations for some cool new music.

FairiesWearBoots

guitar based music -

when I was younger, I was a big rock/heavy metal fan (Maiden, Sabbath, Led Zep) Thrash and then US punk (Black Flag/Fugazi etc)
but I feel like I havent listened to any rock for a LONG time (5 years plus)

I try but I almost immediately get bored and need some electronic music:slanted:

Alfons

Way of the future
of the top of my head
a lot of "krútt" music (the icelandic word for sigurros, mum and their countless immitators in the country)
4 hero
a lot of broken beat
some Villalobos
some Shackleton (gonna get flamed for this...)

the technoy dubstep stuff really depends on context for me (as does most stuff I guess, but I digress) and also what's being played alongside it.

gumdrops

i forgot, this post-fly lo/burial downtempo 'beats scene'/future garage/whatever stuff is a bit dreary.

JWoulf

most trip-hop, a lot of the pretentious downtempo, ambient music. 90% or so of dubstep. The singers in singer/songwriters, (can't stand the men at all), cat power. Alt-country .

Ory

warp drive
jazz, funk, some soul, deep house etc. 'tasteful' stuff in general. at times when i'm feeling classy i can jam with it, but often it just sounds like utter wankery to me.

i never get sick of: 2step, early dubstep, artcore and darkcore jungle. music that i love every constituent of.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
jazz, funk, some soul, deep house etc. 'tasteful' stuff in general. at times when i'm feeling classy i can jam with it, but often it just sounds like utter wankery to me.

There's plenty of jazz and funk which doesn't fall into the tasteful category. But I'm sure you knew that...
Tastefulness is interesting though, I reckon it exists more as a gradation than as an either/or category. E.g. I'm sure 2step garage seemed pretty tasteful to people that were into techstep and jump-up dnb, but not very tasteful to people that were into traditional house 'n' garage.

Agreed on techno-dubstep, deep house, madlib.. i think what makes a lot of the 'tasteful' stuff boring at times is the lack of risk, up front sex and aggression.. cockiness maybe.. too much respectfulness = boring.

tyranny

i forgot, this post-fly lo/burial downtempo 'beats scene'/future garage/whatever stuff is a bit dreary.

Utterly. It's the new signifier of "liking music more than you do"

Same people who bought Autechre and Boards of Canada albums at the time, only this time around they're "blogging" from their "macbooks".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Agreed on GZA - what's the big deal? I like a couple of songs, but it's so....geeky?

Almost any IDM save Aphex (mostly).

Edit: geeky is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Agreed on GZA - what's the big deal? I like a couple of songs, but it's so....geeky?

Almost any IDM save Aphex (mostly).

Edit: geeky is not necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah but GZA is the scholar! He's the serious man, the chess master, the wise elder of Wu Tang.

Liquid Swords to me is rap music touching the sublime, the best solo wu album.

Maybe I need to hear Pro Tools, just heard the couple before that. I think GZA sounded perfect with the mid 90s RZA sound and the kung fu stuff, the precise swordsman wandering the plains and slewing waste MCs he comes across, not a word wasted... Maybe I'm too into the kung fu element of wu tang but I really like them best when imagined as warrior-scholars and not just gritty NY rappers.

Ah the beloved clan...:D